Wheat/nut free cookie recipes for Christmas

Please, I need help making Christmas cookies for my children. We have just found out My youngest son is allergic to wheat, oats/oatmeal, soybeans and anise. My oldest has serious allergies to nuts, coconut, mangoes. I would love to start Christmas baking, but I only have two recipes. (One for meringues, and the other for scotch shortbread.) Do you have other recipes using different flours, or without the ingredients we need to avoid? Thank you so much for your ideas and help!

Lukelion

I, too, am gluten-intolerant and just began this last winter. My mother-in-law has been so generous in learning to make everything gluten-free for me. I will ask her about Christmas cookies and try to get back to you. I hope there are others who can help too :).

Well, let’s see. Of the common “Christmas” ingredients, what do you still have to work with? Dried fruits, hard candies, cornmeal, dairy, and chocolate, for starters. It looks like lots of candies are in your future, more than cookies.

You can go the way of home-candied fruits with or without chocolate, which are wonderful. You can make those Asian candy/cookies with the sesame seeds in them. You can make fudge without nuts.

There are also quite a few recipes for cookies that only have cornmeal in them, as you’ll find in your gluten-free recipe websites.

My general rule of thumb when cooking for those with a restricted diet, though, is to find a cuisine that doesn’t use the ingredients that you can’t have. I would check out India (no soy) and Asia (lots of rice-flour goodies).

This is worth spending some time at your local library, too.

I just saw a book at B&N called “against the grain” which had a lot of good recipes, I did not look at baking since I am so carb restricted, but they had them.

That’s the way I look at it too. If I can’t have dairy, I don’t want ice cream made without cream. If I can’t have nuts, I don’t want “peanut” butter made from soy beans. If I can’t have meat, I sure don’t want “meatless” chicken nuggets, lol.

But, in the case of children, you have to be more creative. You can’t just say “no cookies”. You have the recipe for scotch shortbread…use it to make fancy decorated Christmas cookies. Start a tradition of Christmas fudge, or some other treat that doesn’t need to be altered in order to be ok for your children.

If you make other treats that they love, they won’t miss the wheat , coconut, nuts, soybeans, mangoes, oats… wow, your family really got hit hard with the allergy stick! That’s got to be tough on them, and on you for having to cook for such a restricted diet.

I wish you luck and offer you and your family my prayers.

malia

Alright, here’s the website my mother-in-law uses often -

celiacforums.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Hope this helps!

My Grandfather is a on a gluten-free/wheat free diet. (He just got put on the diet over the summer). My Grandmother has found gluten-free/wheat free cookbooks and recipes. I know that the one book has a recipe for cookies; of course seeing he was told over the summer that he couldn’t have that gluten/wheat she hasn’t tired making the cookies.

I can ask for a recipe later today and post one for you.

There are flours that you can buy that are made out of rice and/or potatoes. So making cookies is not that hard, you just need the right recipe.

Many don’t realize what has gluten/wheat in it. If a person is on a gluten free/wheat free diet that means that a person can not have bread, pasta, oatmeal, cereals, some candies like twizzlers for example, some of the canned broths, many of the canned soups, cake, cookies, crackers, pies etc. (If it has wheat, wheat flour, or food starch in it then it a NO-NO.) My Grandma had to clean out her cupboards over the summer…. She ended up giving everything to me. When it was all said and done I believe the only thing she had left was some canned tuna, veggie oil, and sugar.

Thank God there are other alterative flours like rice flour and potato flour. Now you just need some recipes that use those types of flours. I’ll give Grandma a call later today and see if she has one that she can give me. Once I have it I’ll post it here on the thread.

[quote=Recipe for sugar cookies]1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
2 Eggs, beaten

In a medium size bowl, mix brown rice flour, tapioca starch, salt, and baking powder. Blend well and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream Butter, and slowly add sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add the two beaten Eggs and Vanilla and blend again. Add Flour mixture and mix until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Place cookie dough in waxed paper (rolled it like a log) and chill in the refrigerator for several hours. When the dough is chilled, you can either cut it with cookie cutters or slice it to make round cookies.

Bake on an un-greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. Let them cool first, before taking off of the cookie sheet. This reduces crumbling. Also use a spatula, to remove the cookies from the pan.
[/quote]

Grandma got this recipe off the Internet. She hasn’t used it yet. She just did a web-search for gluten-free cookies. So that might help you find other recipes. She, also, said the other thing that she is doing this year is just buying gluten-free/wheat free cookie mixes from the store. She said the local grocery store, here, has cookie mixes that are gluten-free/wheat free. So you might want to check out the local grocery store, or even specialty food “health” stores for cookie mixes/cake mixes too.

Also Grandma noted that you should get the gluten free/wheat free baking powder.

Hope this helps,
God Bless

Mommyof02green,
Thank you for the recipe. Sugar cookies are their favorite. You are right, it is truly surprising what has wheat in it. Thank your Grandma for me please.

puzzleannie,
Thank you for the book suggestion. I will check that out.

Feanaro’s Wife,
Thank you for the suggestions and offer of prayer. I do feel so overwhelmed sometimes because my children have so many allergies.

lotusblossom,
Thank you for the link. I’ll take a closer look at that.

BLB_Oregon,
Thank you for the candy suggestion. A toffee pull sounds like a great Christmas tradition.

I really appreciate everyones generous help!!!

You’re welcome. I hope the recipe turns out good.

I’ll let Grandma know you said “thanks”.

She has NOT made the cookies herself yet, so she is also hoping it’s a “good” recipe. I hope it turns out good for the both of you. (Sugar cookies is Grandpa’s favorite, so Grandma is hoping this recipe is a good one)

I’m sure that you can find other recipes by doing a web search for it. Just look for gluten-free items; you have to look through the recipes to make sure it’s soy-free and nut-free. I just think you will have better luck doing a gluten free search.

I’m sure that you also, know the butter has to be “real” butter. My grandfather due to his allergies CANNOT have Margarine.

Although, I think margarine is made with soybeans so I don’t think you are using it anyways, so that wouldn’t matter in your case.

God Bless

My SIL and two of our nieces are gluten-intolerant. She has found lots of products she likes at Bob’s Red Mill…it’s a mail-order place that sells both flours and blends, as well as grains–both gluten-containing and gluten-free stuff like quinoa. They have a store in Milwaukie, Oregon, which shares a border with the east side of Portland, but I think the bulk of their business is now via their website. (If you can get to the physical store, though, there are some great bargains to be had by buying out of the bulk bins.)

Bob’s carries a corn flour that I like…it is just a very fine cornmeal, but there it offers the opportunity to fine-tune on texture for cornmeal recipes. I think my SIL also buys a gluten-free version of Bisquick, there, too.

The other thing that might be worth checking out is to go online at a celiac chat forum and see if there are nice quality commercially-made gluten-free cookies that you can buy and decorate at home…you know, 3 inch rounds, something like that. Sometimes the commercial bakers have tricks they use that are difficult to duplicate at home. I would only buy those on some good endorsements, though. There are some dogs out there!

Also, don’t forget that there are recipes out there that produce things like the traditional Buche de Noel (the cake that looks like a yule log) as a frozen dessert made of ice cream or a semi-freddo. You could probably do a “gingerbread house” ice cream cake out of chocolate ice cream! There’s a wow factor for you!

I just thought of one other thing. My kids made Christmas ornament “cookies” one year at school out of a mixture of applesauce and ground cinnamon. They aren’t meant to be eaten, but you decorate them like gingerbread and they smell really good. (We put whole cloves in to decorate them, but had to come back later with a little glue to keep them in.) I think if you wanted to do a “gingerbread house” with them, though, you’d need to use them as shingles glued on to cardboard. The cookies dry rather than bake, so the ones that are too big have this tendency to crack…you definitely want to put the hole for the hanging ribbon in before they dry. There is a little trial and error involved in getting the mixture right, but they were fun to make. (Buy the cinnamon bulk or at Costco, or the amount of cinnamon you will need will bankrupt you, though!)

I’m sorry that I don’t have time to post more right now, but my copy of “Living Without” magazine just came in the mail today. I remembered seeing this thread & thought I’d jump on to share it as a resource:

www.livingwithout.com
Really good recipes, articles and resource sheets.

There’s plenty to access for free on the website, even without a subscription.

Buen provecho!

Lukelion - you are not alone on this! :slight_smile:

With my parents and siblings, we have four who cannot eat gluten, one who can’t eat corn, two who are lactose-intolerant, one who can’t eat peanuts, egg yolks, bananas, ham…and the list goes on and on. Making meals has been creative to say the least.

With my husband’s family, I’m gluten and lactose intolerant, my MIL can’t eat sugar, and my SIL can’t eat so much b/c she gets kidney stones (the list is about three pages long!) and my husband has an intestinal disease in which he has to eat a certain amount of fiber, so meals there are quite an affair too! Thankfully, my MIL and BIL LOVE to cook, so it’s not a problem :).

Hi Lukelion, :slight_smile:
I appreciate the restrictions food allergies have on family cooking.
I hope this helps increase your repertoire
waitrose.com/food_drink/recipes/recipesearch/recipe/0611r05.asp

dovesfarm-glutenfree.co.uk/gluten-free-recipes.htm

Nun_ofthe_Above and StephanieC,
Great links. Thank you.

lotusblossom,
:eek: Sounds like hard work cooking for you and yours!

BLB_Oregon,
I have found some Bob’s Red Mill at Safeway. I’ll give that a try.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’d better get busy using some of these great ideas.

hi Lukelion,
If you want some special cookie recipe then just try the recipe given in the link,it’s really very nice.

Wheat intolerant here too - possibly celiac but went wheat free before I found out how many other symptoms I had that were the same as Celiac so testing is pretty much out :D.

I notice no one has given you my favorite website for wheat free flour blends. I have found that these work great in a cup for cup trade off with my regular recipes, the only difference is I add 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of flour used. Sometimes I will add an extra egg or egg white to the recipe because what you are missing in these flours is the protein (gluten). Okay now for the website:glutenfree-supermarket.com/

They ship pretty quick too so if you ordered today, you would have your packages by Monday next week (it would be sooner except Thanksgiving coming up will slow it down ;))

Now for pasta, the one that we all like in my family best is the Tinkyada (sp?) ones, they are a rice pasta and pretty darn good.

Please read all labels. I thought I was okay with the Underwood Deviled Chicken and Roast Beef but decided to read the labels when I got home and found both had wheat flour or gluten in them!!! I really like those meats for a quick lunch for me! Sheesh, you can’t even always get meat that is wheat free!

Store bought breads that are decent - anything by Glutin-o (they also make the most awesome pretzels) and Knickknick. Both found in the frozen foods section. Whole foods has a nice line of their own Gluten Free products (made in a wheat free, nut free factory!) Other brands of GF are Namaste and Pamela’s and Ener-G. Can’t vouch for Pamela’s cakes but her bread mixes are pretty good.

Of course, you know you have come to a good place to get ideas because celiac, wheat intolerance and allergies are on the rise and there are already a number of us who have already done the experimenting and finding our favorites :p.

Brenda V.

oops, I see this thread is a year old! Well, my suggestions still stand!

Don’t worry about it.

Loved the suggestions.

Just made a gluten free pumpkin pie and angel food cake for tomorrow. Now it is time to go to bed, so I can be ready to make a gluten free Thanksgiving dinner.

That’s OK. My boys still eat cookies :smiley: . I’ve churned out some real clunkers in the baking department, and bought some gluten free items that were inedible, so thank you for the good advice.

Hi johnpoll,
Thanks for the link. I’ll try it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.