When a priest dies, are his vestments destroyed?

Three years ago My Mother died of Alzheimers and my cousins all wanted to leave a memorial gift to the church in memory of their Beloved “Aunt Nanna” They had purchased the full set of Traditional Chausubles and had them inscribed with the following " Presented to XXXX Catholic Church in Loving Menory of Anna Medici Ferrucci by her family" I have had several of my well meaning friends tell me that once they are donated to the parish that the priest, when he retires or dies, the custom is to destroy all the vestments in the sacristy is this true? Im sure that if this happened all of mothers descendants and ancestors in the Medici Family including Leo X would be outraged. D.D. D. aka D 3

Hi,

I have never heard of such a thing. That certainly is not a common practice. But I hope that you realize that like all clothing, vestments do eventually wear out. When that happens, they are likely to be destroyed.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.