When Abortion Isn't a Choice by Kathleen Parker

One of the few incontrovertible assertions one can reasonably make is that no one supports forced abortion.

More…

“reproductive choice”? What’s that? If you have a billion people in your country, perhaps you and your spouse should only have one child. This poorly written and biased article tries to turn the Chinese government into the bad guy. Who, whether Chinese or not, decides when you have sex? Not the Chinese government and not the American government.

Sexual intercourse is designed for procreation – babies. That’s its primary purpose. When people, anywhere, decide they can avoid responsibility when pregnancy occurs, that’s a serious problem. The problem is made worse when medical professionals try to convince women that it is only a blob of tissue. This is about choice, the choice to not have sex until you and your spouse are ready to accept the responsibility. So I propose a new phrase: “reproductive responsibility.”

Peace,
Ed

Ah, but many do, even if only a handful will admit it. I vividly remember a conversation I had with my archdioecese’s director for the Respect Life office. She said that in all her many years of working with women who’d had abortions that she never met one who didn’t feel coerced into the “choice” by others. Perhaps this was a bit of hyperbole, or perhaps her memory was faulty, but no one can honestly deny that women aren’t pushed on a daily basis into aborting their children.

– Mark L. Chance.

From the article:

The one-child policy has created other problems that threaten women and girls. The traditional preference for boys has meant sex-selected abortions resulting in a gender imbalance. Today, men in China outnumber women by 37 million, a disparity that has become a driving force behind sex slavery in Asia. Exacerbating the imbalance, about 500 women a day commit suicide in China – the highest rate in the world, which Littlejohn attributes in part to coercive family planning.

Obviously, the United States is in an awkward position with China, our second-largest trading partner and the largest holder of our government debt. But Littlejohn hopes Obama will “truly represent American values, including our strong commitment to human rights.” She is also calling on Planned Parenthood and NARAL to speak up for reproductive choice in China.

She’s wasting her time. The Obama Administration has already publicly stated that human rights issues are not on the table in our relations with China. Planned Parenthood and NARAL won’t do anything either. Planned Parenthood International is one of the major voices in favor of abortion and cooperates with the UNFPA is its program for population control.

And, of course, let’s not forget that the Obama Administration supports both Planned Parenthood and the UNFPA.

Hey, Catholic Obama voters: How’s that hope and change going for the unborn?

– Mark L. Chance.

“not on the table”? Reminds me of another saying: “Politics is power [to do what you want], nothing more.”

Catholics had better vote for what is right next election.

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.