When arriving at Mass late, when is the cut off time to receive Holy Communion?

My son, 17 years old usally drags when getting ready for Mass and we usually arrive for Mass sometime during the Gloria. I usually go to Holy Communion but he insists that I am in the wrong because we weren’t at Mass by the Kyrie we should not go to receive Holy Communion? I always thougth that if we were there at least by the Creed that we could receive if we were in the proper state. Of course, the intention is to get there for the whole Mass and most times we are successful - it’s always a struggle though and I just don’t want to fight. It’s like there is always tension on Sunday morning - instead of joy and anticipation…I don’t get it.
JM

The following link should assist you in better understanding the gravity of being late to Mass. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
At what point in Mass does a later arrival not fulfill the Mass obligation?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.