When asked why I am "turning Catholic"

**History; **
I come from a deep protestant background, though not that far from the Latin (Roman) Catholic. - High Lutheran

Question;
My mom asked the other day why I was “turning Catholic” and in a tone that it may has well been 1779 (in the middle of the US revolutionary war) and I had Turned Coat. :shrug:

It was on the telephone so I gave her a very brief answer…I emphasize BRIEF. She seemed satisfied with it for the moment…but… My question is, How should I have answered her? That is, what could I have said that would make sense to a United Methodist raised person? (one step further from Catholic than Lutheran)

**Background path; **
My reasons for “turning Catholic” are:
are seated in that I don’t think Martin Luther would have been excommunicated in today’s Roman Catholic church. In fact, I think he would have not had any problem with the Church. Even he agrees that salvation lays not just through faith alone, but it is a Christian’s duty to do good in the world…OK…Same argument the bible gives, (faith AND good works) but in different words. I’m good with that.

My study of scripture lead to a lot of questions… this was written in the Bronze age, and what was society like, what was the Author trying to say here in context…
I’ve continued to find the answers in the Roman Catholic Church because it is in fact descended through Christ. (Lutheran and Methodist also try to find the deeper meaning so there is no argument with her there)

How should I have answered her, yet not alienate her?:hmmm:

Thanks for your assistance,

God Bless

I suppose I should have posted this yesterday as I pick her up for a road trip in a couple hours. I’ll be watching your answers via the subscription / email notices till Sunday.
Meanwhile, I think you all in advance for your input.

God answered a prayer at Christmas. :thumbsup: My mom is going back to church after a 20 year absence!! I attend Mass at her Lutheran church, then go on to my own Mass. We then meet after for coffee and bagels. I don’t want to ruin that return to community for her.

Hello, Catherine,
I’m not a Catholic but in many ways I’ve faced the same situation in which you currently are. I was raised Pentecostal, and my parents are both ex-Catholics, so it’s a difficult issue.

I think the most important thing you should do is emphasize how you are not attempting to trash Lutheranism or rejecting your parents’ upbringing. I think part of the difficulty with parents is that occasionally, they will feel that they failed in bringing up their child in a way conforming with their religious faith. I do what I can to understand it. I think I’d be a little hurt as well if my son or daughter (may God grant me children!) decided to convert to some other faith.

In many ways, I think your mother is kind of lucky. If you are currently High Lutheran, you at least have a multitude of similarities. * Emphasize this point*, because I think this will make the transition much easier. Give her examples.

I’d say the post you gave to open the thread is a good way to answer your mother. Just give more detail on what you found that you think validates the claims that the Catholic Church has for itself. Even if she is later unwilling to listen, you will have at least presented a seasoned argument on why you’re considering Catholicism.

Whatever you do, try to sympathize with what your mother is feeling. It’s certainly not very easy for her.

God be with you.

Amen FB:thumbsup:

Catherine, I would like to suggest you just take it slowly and let the Holy Spirit guide you in both what to say and how to say it. It seems you and your mother both are reasonable people and with further learning what the Church actually teaches in your RCIA classes, this forum, and the CCC, you should come away with a sense of peace and assurance. The slow pace will give you both time to ask, think, and reflect. If you have specific questions on the Catholic faith, please don’t be afraid to ask here on this forum as there are many good apologists that can give you solid understanding of our faith.

Peace!!!

Best of luck Catherine!

My wife joined the Catholic faith some years ago, left the Lutheran Church, so I have a little background. My wife attended Mass with me all through college and raised our children Catholic, and joined RCIA twice. She never completed RCIA because she didn’t want to disappoint her parents with some big Catholic celebration into the Church. As the years went bye she felt the void of not receiving communion and the other sacraments that make us whole. Finally, one day she couldn’t resist the Holy Spirit. We called our local Priest and had him out for supper, he knew exactly what this dinner was about. He told her, he’d prayed for her for many years and was thankful that she was finally ready to take the step. After a few scheduled meetings with him, we quietly went to an evening Mass where she joined the Church. No big celebration, no announcements, no cake and ice cream or cards afterwards, just her and Jesus standing as one. The power of transubstantiation could no longer be denied in her heart. She knows and feels the power, that is Jesus, each and every time she says “Amen” to the consecrated Host and Blood of Jesus. It’s real and it’s in her heart…forever.

The Bible begins the pathway/lineage from the first Pope…St. Peter all the way to Pope Benedict today, and we are the “pilgram Church on earth”! No deviations, no splintered revision or interpretation…we ARE the original and you’ve found peace and home. Do not apologize and make excuses…the Holy Spirit has moved you, and you’ve followed.

I’ll pray that your journey is fulfilling and rewarding.

I’m honestly not sure what you should have said. Perhaps that it is where you feel God is telling you to go. That’s something that can’t be disputed really. :slight_smile:

My mother is Lutheran. I want to encourage you to encourage her in her faith. So long as this church is drawing her closer to God then encourage her in that. That doesn’t mean you skip Mass or become an active Lutheran yourself but it does mean that you should try very hard not to disparage her church in front of her.

Good luck. I pray the Holy Spirit will guide you in wisdom.

Thank you for that.
No, I would never discourage her.

I wish I could have had a small service though. Like cyguy’s wife.
Don’t get me wrong, I liked Easter services, but it is a bit of a distraction with multiples.

I’d suggest prayer and then answering from your heart. (which you seem to have done)

Better she knows your reasons are heartfelt than she feels you are giving a canned response, or it’s crafted to appease her. I could never lie well to my mother :shrug:

Catherine,
I think you are doing well to honor your mother. My husband and I are somewhat in the same boat.
His dad is an Assembly of God minister, 82 years old, set in his ways & anti-Catholic.
My dad is a Congregational Christian minister, 78 years old, set in his ways & anti-Catholic.
My brother is an Assembly of God minister, 51 years old, and believes we are in a cult.
I have heard anything from that we are in a cult to that Catholicism is a perversion of Christianity.
It is wearing on me I think more than my husband. He is patient. I want to start RCIA in the Fall and join next Easter but we are both trying to honor our dads and our priest is very understanding.
I also desire to come into full communion with the Church and we both have annulments we are working on at this time. I long to take the Eucharist though.
I pray things go smoother for you and that your mom’s heart will be softened toward you in your faith.

Honestly, Catherine, I can’t say this would help, but my thoughts are simply this:
As a “high Church” Lutheran myself, I respect and in some ways envy your ability to make this move, and I hope and pray you will be blessed by it. I have heard it said that if one is orthodox Lutheran, one should wake every day and question the reason to stay outside communion with the Bishop of Rome. You seem to have answered that question as, “no longer a reason”. If I’m right, and your mom is Lutheran, she may not agree but she should understand it.
Finally, you seem to have the right thought process here, and if I may use a metaphor, your ability to “swim the Tiber” is in no small way attributable Lutheranism.

May you be blessed in word and sacrament, and I pray for your family’s understanding.

Jon

You can be received into the Church in a quiet, simple, private ceremony at the conclusion of RCIA, if you wish. Please talk to the priest about this.

Plain at heart, I’ll pray for peace within your family and in your heart. You have a hard row to hoe.

Jon, no, she is Methodist, but is attending a Lutheran church I had suggested. She does seem a bit surprised how Catholic the services are. Compared to what she is used to.
She also attended the Easter services with me and witnessed my first communion and confirmation.

Jim, the service was beautiful. I think I’m still on that high.
When father anointed my forehead I was speechless. It seemed like I was enveloped, and still am. I feel it even today when I attended noon mass at a church near where I work.

BTW, what a way to spend lunch break!

Amen, a thousand times, amen. The Holy Spirit should be the ONLY reason anyone converts to Catholicism…

CatherineOH-Thank you. :slight_smile:

stewstew03-You are so right. And the Holy Spirit does a beautiful job drawing a person into the faith.

Just tell her the beautiful story of the Last Supper when it was Jesus’ own wish that all receive his body and blood and the catholic chuch is where this takes place. And that it is your desire to be one with him in this holy event. Then if she wants more, explain John 6.
If not then just tell her you believe in what he said and want that.

Just a thought about the love story of all time.

You are not alone, many of us have experienced this same situation. I come from a very anti-Catholic, protestant family. My mother was also raised Methodist and my father was raised Presbyterian. My parents are caught in the turmoil of the PCUSA and it’s decisions about homosexual clergy. My parents had recently started back into church, when the problems started.

My advice isn’t much, but I have had the uncomfortable conversations, too.Here’s what I have learned:

Be kind - it’s a tough thing for a parent to accept. Being harsh won’t help the situation.

Take your time - You don’t have to hash out all your differences at once. If a conversation gets heated, simply say, “I think that’s enough for now. We can revisit this subject later.”

Respect her beliefs - Avoid bashing the church she is attending. Avoid most comparisons as they lead to a “they think they’re better” feeling.

Pray - Pray for her continued faith journey. Pray that she can accept your decision.

You can support her return to church, while enjoying your journey home. You don’t have to have all the answers about the Catholic Church, but be sure to find out the answers if she stumps you. You don’t need to apologize for becoming Catholic, you believe it is right, so be proud of it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Like I said, you are not alone.

Prayers for you,
Newsy

I am in the same boat as you. Still live with my mom ,who was raised Catholic,thus she knows what it is/means, further I believe she believes in the teleology just does not want to admit it then turned Protestant when she met my step dad is a Christian], who I would say for me is my biggest challenge { on a scale from one being fairly nice/ open ten being harsh mean towards Catholic, I would give him a 1.5) for me to express for me con/re converting to Catholicism. But the Lord has and will give me strength to overcome this.

Lastly my biggest challenge will be my Christian [Protestant] mentors, who illustrate bad message towards Catholicism [who I believe would have been/could have been phenomenal priest]. But I think I am ready to express it to them

Because of the true and real presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.

Because Catholics are the original Christians.

Because Pope Benedict XVI is the 264th pope from Pope St. Peter.

Because the Catholic church is the one, true church that Christ intended to exist after HIs ascension into heaven and of which He left Peter as it’s first pope…264 popes later to Pope Benedict XVI. And the gates of hell have not and will not prevail against her.

This last one, use with a lot of love and tenderness in your voice - after all…she is your mom. :slight_smile:

Today, she came met me at the church and went to mass with me. (mothers day)

I am happy to hear that she came to Mass with you on Mothers Day.

Remember God commands us to honour our parents. This can be very difficult to do at times but a Catholic is called to do take this on with a glad heart.

Continue to pray for her and do not respond to people who goad you. I find that when I do not respond to goading about my faith it makes them uneasy and look foolish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.