When blessing yourself do you skip your forehead?

When making the Sign of the Cross do you skip your forehead to avoid getting it wet while blessing yourself at Church?

No, I like feeling the drop of holy water there, even several minutes later…it reminds me of my baptism, and that I am in church with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit!

No.

[quote=Elliott]When making the Sign of the Cross do you skip your forehead to avoid getting it wet
[/quote]

Huh?

You’re not sticking your head in the holy water container, are you? Or scooping out a handful of water?

Well, occasionally if my fingers end up wetter than I intended, I’ll start crossing myself at my hairline, rather than in the middle of my forehead. I’m not necessarily “skipping” my forehead, just including a bit of hair along with it. :wink:

I’m honestly confused–why would you avoid getting your forehead wet? I thought that was the whole concept.

[quote=Almeria]I’m honestly confused–why would you avoid getting your forehead wet? I thought that was the whole concept.
[/quote]

Exactly… :confused:

[quote=Almeria]I’m honestly confused–why would you avoid getting your forehead wet? I thought that was the whole concept.
[/quote]

Yes, I am confused as well. I always do, and the symbol reminds me as well of my Baptism and devotion to Christ through the Church. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=StephanieC]No, I like feeling the drop of holy water there, even several minutes later…it reminds me of my baptism, and that I am in church with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit!
[/quote]

I like it, too, and am rather surprised to discover that it may be considered a problem for some… Before I was confirmed at the Easter Vigil I read that we should not wipe off the oil from our forehead afterwards. So I didn’t and went to the reception after the Mass with it still on, where it stayed until it came off naturally. A drop of water disappears much more quickly so I truly do not understand the problem.
In His love,
Rhonda

No, because I dip two fingers in the font and what little water is on the fingers does not bother me. I mean, I never get so much holy water that it runs down my face or anything like that.

Joe

[quote=Elliott]When making the Sign of the Cross do you skip your forehead to avoid getting it wet while blessing yourself at Church?
[/quote]

Uum…why would you or anyone be worried about getting your forehead wet w/ holy water?:confused:

[quote=Elliott]When making the Sign of the Cross do you skip your forehead to avoid getting it wet while blessing yourself at Church?
[/quote]

No,

And I also use Holy water in our home as well. I try to remember to bless myself before retiring at night and first thing in the morning. I need to be reminded of my Baptismal vows every waking moment.

No, I like the feeling of the water on my forehead.

Can I Just check - I’m not baptised, but when I enter or leave the church I cross myself with holy water, is that O.K., if, after all, my intentions are good?

I used to skip this, when I was vain about my hair.

Now that I shave my head, it’s no problem.

Im didn’t mean that I skip my forehead, I don’t. However, I noticed that many at my church do. The only reason I could figure was they didn’t want to get wet.

I can’t skip it. I need my mind blessed more than anything else I’ve got.

I admit to having skipped my forehead because I was afraid of getting pimples from germs on my face. I went through a phase when I wouldn’t even touch my face at all. Now I know pimples come from stress, and at least this is one less thing to worry about now that I’ve gotten over it.

Will you lose your salvation if you so ?

I love this reflection I found recently, and it is timely since next Sunday is Trinity Sunday.

With the sign of the Cross, we recall in particular the blessing of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We trace a cross on ourselves, the cross of Jesus. His death on the cross was an outpouring of love for us. The sign of the cross is a reminder of his love, a love found not only in the past, but here and now, as we make this sign upon ourselves.
The sign of the cross is a wonderful expression we can use daily of our relationship with God. God is the one who blesses. This prayer reminds us that each day, in good times and bad, in danger and sorrow, God’s care and blessings are never far from us. We we bless ourselves witht he Sign of the Cross, we remember the One who blesses us, the triune God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The water of baptism was used on us and our sins were washed away in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We are God’s alone…he has claimed us in his name…
No one has ever died because they were sprinkled with a few drops of water, except perhaps…the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz. So please never omit touching your forehead as we bless ourselves each day. It is our consecration of our whole selves to God. Isn’t that worth it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.