When can I be conditionally baptized and confess?

Dear Apologist,

I have been attending RCIA class for several months now. The more I study the faith, the more intensely I feel the need to know that I am baptized (I might have been when I was a child, but I am not certain) and the greater my desire to go to Confession.

Is there a chance that the RCIA priest would do these things for me right now, or is there a rule that says I must wait until Easter?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Your zeal and love for the faith is beautiful. You will be in my prayers.

If you are unsure about whether or not you were baptized, I recommend you speak with your priest immediately. He will then determine if a conditional baptism is necessary. He will also address your question concerning Confession.

“If there are doubts about the validity of a person’s baptism (or whether the person was baptized at all), then the candidate will be given a conditional baptism (one with the form “. . . if you are not already baptized, I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”).

“If conditional baptism . . . seems necessary, this must be celebrated privately rather than at a public liturgical assembly of the community and with only those limited rites which the diocesan bishop determines. The reception into full communion should take place later at the Sunday Eucharist of the community” (NSC 37). How to Become a Catholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.