When can I receive the sacrament of reconciliation?

Hello everyone, I'm a former Protestant (well, technically I still am one) and I've been studying the Catechism and the Bible over the past year or so and I am currently unable to start any RCIA courses due to the fact that I have quite bad ME/CFS which has left me housebound apart from the occasional trip out of the house if I'm having a good day and my heretic parents (who I still live with) hate the church and its beliefs. I want to know, can I go to confession and be absolved of my sins? I am fully aware of mortal and venial sins and am completely repentant of all of my sins and know that in my current state I am destined for eternal damnation. I've been validly baptised in a Presbyterian church, but I've never been confirmed into the Catholic church or anything. I go to mass on Saturday evenings maybe once a month or so if I'm able, but I've just had a big relapse. I'm hoping that I might recover enough to take RCIA in 2014/15, but I don't know what to do until then. I have got a really guilty conscience that needs to be cleared and I need God's forgiveness. Thank you in advance!

You need to talk to a priest. Although RCIA is the usual way to convert, it's can be done other ways - either a priest giving you classes, or a catechist that the priest recommends. Have a talk with a priest and see what can be done, particularly in view of your health difficulties.

[quote="Joan_M, post:2, topic:326986"]
You need to talk to a priest. Although RCIA is the usual way to convert, it's can be done other ways - either a priest giving you classes, or a catechist that the priest recommends. Have a talk with a priest and see what can be done, particularly in view of your health difficulties.

[/quote]

Thank you for your advice! Will make an appointment to see a priest soon! :)

I was a Lutheran and heavily investigated the Church before making the decision to convert. I was allowed to come into the Church on Profession of Faith. Hopefully, that will be an option for you! Prayers are with you!

If you're not able to get to go out to see the priest, maybe he might come to your house if your parents would allow it. Just a thought. Talking to your priest would be the first thing to do.

[quote="GuighOrainn, post:1, topic:326986"]
Hello everyone, I'm a former Protestant (well, technically I still am one) and I've been studying the Catechism and the Bible over the past year or so and I am currently unable to start any RCIA courses due to the fact that I have quite bad ME/CFS which has left me housebound apart from the occasional trip out of the house if I'm having a good day and my heretic parents (who I still live with) hate the church and its beliefs. I want to know, can I go to confession and be absolved of my sins? I am fully aware of mortal and venial sins and am completely repentant of all of my sins and know that in my current state I am destined for eternal damnation. I've been validly baptised in a Presbyterian church, but I've never been confirmed into the Catholic church or anything. I go to mass on Saturday evenings maybe once a month or so if I'm able, but I've just had a big relapse. I'm hoping that I might recover enough to take RCIA in 2014/15, but I don't know what to do until then. I have got a really guilty conscience that needs to be cleared and I need God's forgiveness. Thank you in advance!

[/quote]

My friend, get in touch with a priest from a local parish VIA email, phone, etc. Everything is in the hands of God. Also, do not despair over your salvation. I can tell you are concerned deeply about this. Our God is a merciful God and, though certainly a person devoid of divine charity in their soul (in a state of mortal sin) will remain dead into death, trusting more and more perfectly in God's mercy and following his will wherever we are at in life is truly an extraordinary means of redemptive power. At all times orient yourself to God's love in active submission and never despair! God is in control. Above all, have faith in God's faithfulness and love as you are loved in his divine charity. God is not limited, nor does he demand the impossible from us, no matter where we are at in life.

For this reason, all peoples, at all times, in every place, and in every situation are called to repent and love God more deeply. I do not think any heeded call to repentance to be in vain. So when confronted with the question of "what if I die?", simply say in reply, "all I know is the love and mercy of Christ, who died for my sins and gave himself up for me." If you face death, I would not think it out of God's character to present you with an opportunity of grace. It is my prayer you will be at peace.

St. Alphonsus de Liguori, a doctor of the Church, wrote this in his work "Conformity to the Will of God":

Finally we should unite ourselves with the will of God both as regards the time of our death and the way in which we are to die. Once when St. Gertrude was climbing a hill she lost her footing and fell into a ravine. Afterward, her companions asked her if she had not been afraid of dying without the Last Sacraments. She answered: "I would very much like to die with the Last Sacraments but I am even more concerned that the will of God should be done, because I believe that the best disposition which one can have at the point of death is to submit onself to God's will. For this reason I desire whatever form of death God gives me."

St. Faustina Kowalska also had many things to say about that topic. Perhaps the spiritual reading of those two saints I have mentioned will bring you joy and comfort. Also pray for your parents, and love them as Christ loves them. This would seem to be part of your vocation at the moment. Pray that you might love and experience God's love as he does.

Again, God loves you! :heart: Rest in his love.
Anthony

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.