When Did 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson Say Men Should Marry Girls At 16 So They 'Pick Your Ducks?'

Of course he’s allowed to express his opinion. That’s what free speech means. It also means that other people can call him out on it. I stand by my assertion that dropping out of high school is almost always a bad idea.

I think it is extremely unwise in our current culture for a 16-year-old girl with no marketable skills to get married and devote her life to taking care of children, before she’s even a legal adult herself. If she’s younger than 16, she won’t even be able to drive. She’ll be completely dependent on her husband, and she won’t be able to get a job elsewhere if she doesn’t have a high school diploma or GED. If her husband becomes the head of a multi-million-dollar company, she’ll be fine. But if anything happens- sickness, disability, or death of the husband- she won’t have many options at all. She’s stuck, with no way to provide for herself or her children.

Now, if a somewhat older woman wants to do the same- one who’s finished high school, one who’s been driving, one who has work experience, one who’s dated more than one person, or the same person for months, and really gotten to know them well- I say more power to her. But in our current culture, I don’t think it’s a good idea to encourage teens to close off most of their options. In our current culture, people ought to have basic life skills before they get married.

Once again, I’m not saying it can’t work, or that it didn’t work in the past. I’m saying that it is now generally unwise.

Exactly.

In this day and age, how many parents are going to be okay with someone asking for their 16 year old daughter’s hand in marriage, especially if the person who wants to marry their daughter believes that a woman’s place is in the home plucking feathers off a duck? Perhaps people tune in to watch Phil Robertson because they’re shocked that someone actually still holds those viewpoints?

Yes, they made the decision based on economics. They also made the decision to suspend him based on economics due to threats of a boycott from GLAD. These are the tactics the left uses to shove their agenda down our throats. This time we shruck back and won. We need to realize that if we make it known that we are not going to support companies that promote the left’s agenda then we will have more victories like this.

The fact that economics are involved is irrelevant.

You like the high divorce rate?

I think what he is saying is if you marry them as a teenager then you have a say in there development. If you wait till they are in there 20’s or 30’s they are already set.

I’m not saying I would do it or allow my daughter to do it. But you can’t argue with the fact that the divorce rate was almost none existent then, and it is outragous now.

So the lack of perceived humor is due to it being unwise.

Does a humorous statement require wisdom?

Not only that, but if a woman decides that she wishes to be a mother, and to be open to having a large family, it is medically safer for her to start early.

It seems likely. Reality shows are often based around shock value.

I’m sorry, but that makes it even more creepy. You’re saying people should parent their spouses? How is someone ready to be a parent if they themselves still need that level of parenting?

I never said the current system was perfect, or even that it was preferable to what came before it. It is, however, the current system, and people would be wise to take it into consideration.

It shouldn’t be distasteful. Frankly, I’m not even sure what makes this statement humorous. Where’s the joke?

I don’t mean parenting. What I mean is that people at age 15 or 16 still are developing mentally and will see a marriage as permanent and will adopt values and habits of each other, were people in their 20’s-30’s are set in their ways and more likely to see a marriage as disposable.

By the way I didn’t say any of this. I am just speculating on his reasoning when he says " They will pluck your ducks"

The current system is broken and needs to be changed. The break up of the family is responsible for the nations woes. If the family stayed together under the old system then maybe we should take it into consideration.

People who marry young are now statistically more likely to divorce.

How does unwise = distasteful.

We agreed that there was nothing against Church teaching, and your comments were driven towards it not being prudent in todays culture.

But none of that equaled anything distasteful.

I find it distasteful to suggest that it’s a good idea to keep women helpless by encouraging them to drop out of high school (or I guess take high school classes while pregnant, which also sounds like a bad idea), even if the statement is a joke. That is purely my opinion, but it’s part of why I, personally, don’t find the statement funny.

The other part is that I have no idea where the humor is supposed to come from. What’s the joke here? I honestly don’t get it.

He certainly didn’t say it was his intent to keep women helpless, and I apologize if I gave that impression. The fact remains that there is very little one can do without a high school diploma these days. The woman who marries at 16 will necessarily be very dependent on her husband. In Mary’s time, this made sense, because women weren’t expected to provide for themselves anyway. Now they are, and that means there aren’t as many resources for a young mother if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong, she will be rather helpless compared to the single young woman with at least a high school diploma. Even if she made the choice completely on her own, and was not forced or pressured in any way (which seems unlikely, given what I’ve read of the whole “Christian Patriarchy” crowd), her decision has still cut her off from a lot of options, and has made her comparatively helpless.

I’m going to give up the point about it being funny, because I don’t see the joke at all. People can laugh if they want, sure. Likewise, I can question whether the “joke” is problematic.

Being a full-time homemaker is not a bad idea. If you think dropping out of school is a bad idea, ok. Why put, “to be a full-time homemaker”? The idea that being a full-time homemaker is a bad idea, is a bad idea that has gotten us where we are today.

Sorry, you’re right. There’s definitely nothing wrong with being a full-time homemaker. I just think that it’s a bad idea to cut oneself off from other options in case something goes wrong. It’s better to get skills and some level of education first.

Would you pluck a duck? Maybe he’s saying people tend to get a little more :shrug: “uppity” with age and more higher learning. Which I don’t believe he really is against higher learning for women. I know at least one of his daughter-in-laws went to college, but I doubt she plucks ducks. Could be wrong though. So, there is the humor, he’s got a wife that is not grossed out by plucking ducks and a lot of men can’t get their wife to cook a decent meal.

I guess that makes sense. I’m not sure. I may not have a very good grasp of humor in the first place. I’m probably not his target audience. :stuck_out_tongue:

You probably have to be a redneck to get it. Lol. I wouldn’t want my daughter to get married at 16 either, I was 27 before I got married. I would hope if she chooses to get married she can find someone sooner than I did. As someone else pointed out, being older makes it harder to have a big family, or maybe even one. I’m blessed to have two with me I just don’t like when I hear someone say they don’t want their daughter to be dependant on a man. I’d rather say find a man that is dependable. Of course like you said earlier, you never know what life brings.

Pick=choose.:smiley:

I would go with sprig. :smiley:

That brought back so many good memories of my Aunt Mary’s farm in Co Mayo (Ireland)

I spent most of my summers there, as they could always use extra help on a dairy farm.

They had chickens and ducks as well as dairy cows. I remember plucking those fowl with my Aunt Mary and having some great conversations.

I don’t think that she ever finished high school either, but she was a second mom to MY mother and did a great job of raising 7 kids herself.

And she probably had a much happier life than if she had spend it working in some office in Dublin. I know that WE were happier for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.