When did God change?

A few weeks back a Priest in his homily stated that we must not question changes in the church because God changes. Furthermore we are not to question why the tabernacle has been moved, the altar rail removed, etc. as God changes and we are to be open to change. I cannot find in scripture or the catechism where it states that God changes.

Has the church changed, yes. But, does God change? Please help me. Thanking you in advance for your clarification.

God Bless.

Hi,

In Himself, God cannot change. Change implies the lack of something that is gained. God lacks nothing. If He did, He would not be God. This is pretty basic stuff and Father should know it.

Now in His human nature, Jesus did change. He grew from a zygote into an infant as we all do. He also grew from a child into a man, etc. But His divine nature could not change.

The fact that Jesus changed in His human nature does not prove that the changes Father is making should, by that fact, be made. Actually, the Church does not require that the tabernacle be removed from the center of the sanctuary. Many that have been removed have already been brought back. I know of several parishes where this has already happened. Your parish seems to be very behind.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.