When did Jesus found the church?

Hi All

When did Jesus found the church?

I read on another Catholic site that Jesus founded the Catholic church with the great commission.

However I know he earlier appointed Peter as head of the Church, and instituted the Eucharist at the last supper. Were these done in advance?

Please can anyone clarify when precisely the church was started. Was this with the great commission?

Thanks

The Church was started at Pentecost, 50 days after Easter, and 10 days after the Ascension.

Jesus did many things before He ascended, but the birth of the Church was Pentecost. He set up many structures of the Church, appointing Peter as Pope, making the Apostles bishops, giving the sacraments, command the Great Commission, etc., but these didn’t start the Church, that would come later.

Thanks zz912, great answer.

The Preface to the Eucharistic Prayer for Pentecost Sunday (Mass During Day) says, in part:
Today we celebrate the great beginning of your Church when the Holy Spirit made known to all peoples the one true God, and creaded from the many languages of man one voice to profess on faith.

The *Catechism of the Catholic Church *(CCC) says:

The Church is born primarily of Christ’s total self-giving for our salvation, anticipated in the institution of the Eucharist and fulfilled on the cross. (CCC 766)

The Church is both the means and the goal of God’s plan: prefigured in creation, prepared for in the Old Covenant, founded by the words and actions of Jesus Christ, fulfilled by his redeeming cross and his Resurrection, the Church has been manifested as the mystery of salvation by the out pouring of the Holy Spirit. (CCC 778)

both when He became flesh and when Jesus Christ established his kingdom like unto david making new. ( eg ; disciples, keys of the kingdom, the Eucharist, it is finished. )

God bless

The evidence is here:
Christ, the Son of God wrote nothing and used quotes from the OT, as He established His Church and explicitly made four promises to Peter alone, and this is what the Sacred Scriptures teach us:

“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.” ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve].

Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

St Matthew, 28:
“All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.”

Peter is conspicuously involved in all the Church’s important “firsts.” Peter initiated the election of the first successor to an Apostle ( Acts 1:13-26). Peter preached the first sermon at Pentecost (Acts 2:14), and received the first converts (Acts 2:4 1). Peter performed the first miracle after Pentecost (Acts 3:6-7), inflicted the first punishment upon Ananias and Saphira (Acts 5:1-11), and excommunicated the first heretic Simon the magician (Acts 8:2 1).

“So great fear came upon all the Church and upon all who heard these things. And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly.” (Acts 5:11-13).

Peter is the first Apostle to raise a person from the dead (Acts 9:36-4 1). Peter first received the revelation to admit Gentiles into the Church (Acts 10:9-16), and commanded that the first Gentile converts be baptized (Acts 10:44-48).

Excellent scripture verses for the establishment of the Church and Peter’s importance as chief apostle. It always amazes me when some Christians try to down play Peter’s role in scripture, especially when there is so much evidence to the contrary as you have pointed out some of them. God bless and peace.:thumbsup:

Just to clarify, the Church teaches that the birth of the Church was at the Crucfixion, flowing from Jesus’ (the 2nd Adam) side as His bride, just as Eve was taken from Adam’s side. At Pentecost, the Church was manifested.*CCC#766 “The origin and growth of the Church are symbolized by the blood and water which flowed from the open side of the crucified Jesus.”…the Church was born from the pierced heart of Christ hanging dead on the cross.

CCC#767 …on the day of Pentecost…the Church was openly displayed to the crowds and the spread of the Gospel among the nations, through preaching, was begun."*And certainly, this was spoken of in advance to Peter in the above poster’s Scriptures, et al. :o

Well I believe that depends on when Jesus was born. I’m pretty sure that our Year Number
is off by 6 Years, plus OR minus. So first, Jesus was either born in 6BCE or 6CE. Now we
know that Jesus was round about 33 when he founded his Church upon Saint Peter, so we
can assume, but can’t be exact, that the Church was approximately between the years 27
CE and 39CE (with a possible margin of 1 Year).

Based on the historical data about the year of the death of Herod the Great and the biblical details about the death of the Holy Innocents and the age of Christ when He was crucified, His death happened in the year 27AD.
Now, the Public Life of Jesus started when He was 30 years old. We can safely assume that the foundation of the Church commenced when the Lord was obviously rejected by the Jews. The climax of the foundation was the birth of the Church when the Lord’s dead body was opened by a lance at the side.
The courage and other gifts given by the Holy Spirit when He descended on the fiftieth day after the Resurrection moved the apostles and the other disciples to come out in the open and preach.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.