When Did Jesus Know He Was God After The Incarnation

While pondering the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary I have often wondered if Jesus had any memory of Heaven and knowledge of being God after his birth. I know he was truley God and truely Man, but I wonder how much he really knew during his childhood.
I have never heard this discussed before. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Diane, this was discussed on this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=273828&highlight=When+did+Jesus+know+He+was+God

He always knew, from the beginning. He is God, and God always knows all things.

Jesus didn’t know all things while human - On the cross, he said, “Father, why have you abandoned me?” In the Garden of Gethsemane, he said, “Father, it if is possible let this cup pass from me. Yet, not my will but your will.”

But he knew for a while - else the devil wouldn’t have tempted him by telling him to do things only God could do like turn stones into bread and he wouldn’t have said, “Didn’t you know I would be about my Father’s business” as if it should have been obvious where he was.

• Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Yes, Jesus did know all things while human. God has perfect knowledge. If Jesus didn’t know all things, He wouldn’t be God.

When He said, “Father, why have You abandoned me?” he was quoting Scripture — Psalm 22:1. Any good Jewish person hearing Him would have known that, and would have known that the hopeful “happy ending” of the Psalm was implied:

“You who fear the Lord, praise Him! all you sons of Jacob, glorify Him, and stand in awe of Him, all you sons of Israel! For He has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; and He has not hid His face from him, but has heard, when he cried to Him.” (Psalm 22:23-24)

The following article should help you understand that Jesus was fully aware of His divinity: diocs.org/q&a/answers.cfm?question=69scienceofchrist

Thankyou FCEGM. I don’t know how I missed that thread. All of those responses have given me much more to ponder.

You are right. Jesus did know all things. John 16:30 “Now we can see that you know all things and you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. That makes us believe that you came from God.” I will look into the writings of St. Thomas of Aquinas referred to on that page. Thank you for helping me.

Do you know why he asked for the cup to be passed away from him in the Garden of Gethsemane though?

*Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Because He was both God and man; He experienced everything we humans experience (except that He never sinned). He felt pain and fear. His humanity was showing very clearly here. He may have known that His prayer would be refused, but He asked anyway.

Perhaps this has been recorded for us in Sacred Scripture to show us that God sometimes answers prayer with a “No,” even though He loves the person praying. Seeing that the Father refused His beloved Son this request, we can know that God still loves us very much even when our prayers aren’t answered the way we would like them to be.

Thank you for the replies. So maybe Jesus Christ asked the Father the question even though he knew the answer would be no because he was human??

*Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

While he knew the ultimate good that would come as a result of his crucifixition, he also knew the unthinkable pain it would entail.

To ask was only human, to accept God’s will, divine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.