When did Jesus teach this......

Through my conversations with my Protestant’s girlfriends mother, she claims that all rules, authorities, rituals, laws, etc ended with Christ’s finished work on the cross. My question is, when he returned at Pentacost, is it not then that much of the teachings were given by Jesus?

Basically, I am looking for a list of things that Jesus taught after he was crucified. Thanks.

The first thing He taught after His resurrection was the Sacrement of Confession. After showing the apostles His hands and feet He said

Jn 20:21-23 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, the are retained.”

Some will say this is to go out and preach forgiveness, but that is not what it says, and that interpretation of Scripture did not pop up until Calvin (I think it was Calvin, but it was 1500 years after the fact).

The early history of the Church shows this Scripture to be confession as taught by the Catholic Church. God’s forgiveness given in a miraculous manner!

:amen:

Through my conversations with my Protestant’s girlfriends mother, she claims that all rules, authorities, rituals, laws, etc ended with Christ’s finished work on the cross. My question is, when he returned at Pentacost, is it not then that much of the teachings were given by Jesus?

Basically, I am looking for a list of things that Jesus taught after he was crucified. Thanks.

1. All rituals regarding the sacrifice of bulls, rams, goats had been superseded with the one, complete sacrifice of Christ. The sacrifice of Christ is now being perpetuated by the Holy Mass. See Malachi prophecy regarding this.
  2. Laws–there are the 10 COmmandments and the other commandments permitted by God thru Moses. The 10 Commandments were not ended, while the ones that were permitted were. Example, divorce. God did not allow divorce but Moses, because of the hardness of the hearts of the Israelites, permitted this. But Christ put an end to this, and restored what God originally intended for marriage.

The teachings of the Apostles themselves in the NT, reflects the teachings of Christ.

Pio

Jesus did not teach that He came to abolish the old law, in fact He told His disciples:

Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.” Matt. 5:17-18

He told His disciples, after His resurrection: “These are My words which I spoke to you, while I was still with you, that everything written about Me in the law of Moses and the prophets and the psalms must be fulfilled.” Luke 24:44

The sacraments were foreshadowed in the Old Testament by things that symbolized grace. When Christ came, He did not do away with those symbols, He supernaturalized them, energizing them with grace, making them more than symbols.

St. Paul also teaches: “So, then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.” 2 Thessalonians 2:15

“I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.” 1 Cor. 11:2

Hope this helps!

[quote=go Leafs go]…she claims that all rules, authorities, rituals, laws, etc ended with Christ’s finished work on the cross…
[/quote]

i’d be inclined to ask if all the prior really had ended, what possible difference does it make what i belive and/or do, there is nothing left by which i could be held accountable. J’s saving act effectively saves me from any accountability for the sins He died on account of. i shouldn’t be bound by what even He said during His ministry, it’s all a wash after the Cross.
this does sound sorta calvinist…i always wished i had been a calvinist. since everything had been ‘predestined’, nothing i did was going to make any difference. if there was a good likelihood i was gonna have to pay for being a naughty, naughty boy, whether or not i actually *was *naughty, and might even be rewarded for being quite nice, even if i had been naughty, you can bet your bottom dollar i would have enjoyed being one naughty little boy!
anywho, thanks for listening, love and peace, terry

You may want to remind her that most of the New Testament was written well after the Crucifixion, so unless she denies the canon, the Holy Spirit and Christ were still with the Church after Good Friday. When Christ first “surprised” Paul on his way do Damascus, I would say the ensuing conversation and Paul’s later work were irrefutable evidence of Christ’s continued guidance for the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.