When Did Mary Receive the Holy Spirit?

Hello everyone!

I was reading about Mary and the Holy Spirit in the 33 Day Consecration to Mary, and the book quotes Pope John Paul II, saying that Mary had the Holy Spirit with her since the Annunciation. My question is, was the Holy Spirit with her since conception, as she was immaculately conceived, or at the two things not related? Thank you! God bless!

Technically, Mary didn’t need baptism, since Christ did not issue a command to baptize until just before the Ascension, if I’m not mistaken.

I think the Spirit stirred in Mary from the beginning of her spiritual consciousness, as she was growing up. She is depicted in Luke’s gospel as being very steeped in the Jewish faith, including the expectations of the Christ. Although it is not described, I suspect she may have gone through the bat mitzvah ceremony, and otherwise have had much spiritual inspiration observing the micvahs (ritual baths) of Jewish women.

As is celebrated in the rosary, it was a spiritually joyful experience for Mary to present Jesus in the Temple.

slight correction…Mary did not present Jesus in the temple by herself. Joseph and Mary did. Far too often Joseph is omitted from his rightful place …

As you stated Mary was conceived without sin. So yes, the Holy Spirit was with her from the moment of her conception. It is impossible for one to be free from sin and not have the sanctifying grace of the Holy Spirit in one’s soul. Of course, Mary’s sinlessness is still the result of the saving work of Christ in the Paschal Mystery. Even she needed to be redeemed - but Christ’s merit was applied to her “early” so to speak, so that she could act as a sinless vessel to bring the Son of God into the world.

Mary was “full of grace” since conception. Grace is an action of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit dwelt within Mary fully from the moment she was conceived.

The Holy Spirit dwelt with Mary in a very special way, as her spouse, from the moment of the annunciation, when She was overshadowed by the Spirit and Jesus was conceived.

The Feast of The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is celebrated every Nov 21. The Eastern Catholic Churches call this feast the Entrance of the Theotokos. Sacred Tradition teaches that Mary, when she was three years old, was brought into the temple by her parents Joachim and Anna, to be educated and dedicated as a temple virgin. Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist was high priest at the time. Zecharia brough Mary into the temple and she ran up the steps, into the Holy Place, right through the curtain, and into the Holy of Holies where she danced before the Ark of God. She didn’t want to leave the Temple after that unless she were betrothed or died. Mary brought the Holy Spirit with her into the Temple.

There is a hymn in the Eastern Catholic Churches which goes.

*The most pure Temple of the Savior;
The precious Chamber and Virgin;
The sacred Treasure of the glory of God,
Is presented today to the house of the Lord.
She brings with her the grace of the Spirit, *
Therefore, the angels of God praise her:
"Truly this woman is the abode of heaven.

-Tim-

Actually these stories about Mary come from the Koran.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_in_Islam

The Holy Spirit is always with Mary. He “came” to her in a new and special way according to her place and mission in life. He conceived her without sin. He impregnated her. He gave her the grace to endure the sight of her suffering son. He gave her the joy and strength to encourage the apostles while they waited for the promise of Jesus to be fulfilled at Pentecost. The Holy Spirit continually “came” to Mary in a new a special way.

Mama Mary I LOVE You! :flowers:

The stories are recounted in the Protoevangel of James, the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew, the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary.

And the priest received her, and kissed her, and blessed her, saying: The Lord has magnified your name in all generations. In you, on the last of the days, the Lord will manifest His redemption to the sons of Israel. And he set her down upon the third step of the altar, and the Lord God sent grace upon her; and she danced with her feet, and all the house of Israel loved her. (Protoevangel of James, 7)

-Tim-

I believe its correct that she received the Holy Spirit at conception. The apostles received the Spirit in different stages, first through baptism and communion, then a portion when they were ordained to forgive sins, and then in the fullness at Pentecost. I don’t know how much Mary originally received at conception but she may have also received the fullness at Pentecost.

Thank you all for your answers!

Mary was conceived without sin and so the Holy Spirit fully dwelt within her in its fullness from the moment of conception. That is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception is.

CCC 492 The “splendor of an entirely unique holiness” by which Mary is “enriched from the first instant of her conception” comes wholly from Christ: she is “redeemed, in a more exalted fashion, by reason of the merits of her Son”. The Father blessed Mary more than any other created person “in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” and chose her “in Christ before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless before him in love”.137

Every spiritual blessing… from the moment of conception… That is what the immaculate conception means.

-Tim-

thanks!

when God Gives. that is when our Lady, our Mother did willingly receive this gift and God. (i.e. conception: immaculate. )

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.