when did protestants stop preaching that one could go to hell

I recently was talking with a PK (preacher's kid). He said his father taught that one could go to hell based on their behavior, even if they thought they had accepted Christ as their Savior. When did that stop being a belief?

p.s. He thought is was in the 70's.

Do you know which Protestant denomination the child's father is part of? This is one of many issues that Protestants are divided on. The Baptist church believes "Once saved, always saved," but not all of the do. To summarize, the Baptist church believes once you have prayed the sinners prayer, you have an automatic ticket to Heaven and there is no sin you can commit which can send you to hell. If you fall off the wagon, and start committing horrible sins, they would simply say you were never really a Christian to begin with. Not all Protestant churches believe that though.

Church of Christ. And from what he he said, his dad would not agree with the OSAS. He is in his late 50's, so he grew up in the 50's and 60's

but apparently the CoC is based on each the pastor thinks

[quote="sallybutler, post:3, topic:284454"]
Church of Christ. And from what he he said, his dad would not agree with the OSAS. He is in his late 50's, so he grew up in the 50's and 60's

[/quote]

I think the CoC is still opposed to OSAS per wikipedia:

Churches of Christ generally teach that the process of salvation involves the following steps:[1]

One must be properly taught, and hear (Romans 10:17, Matthew 7:24);
One must believe or have faith (Hebrews 11:6, Mark 16:15–16);
One must repent, which means turning from one's former lifestyle and choosing God's ways (Acts 2:38, Acts 17:30, Luke 13:3);
One must confess belief that Jesus is the son of God (Matthew 10:32–33; Acts 8:36–37);
One must be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38; 1Peter 3:20–21; Romans 6:3–5; Mark 16:16; Acts 22:16); and
One must remain faithful unto death (Revelation 2:10).

[quote="sallybutler, post:1, topic:284454"]
I recently was talking with a PK (preacher's kid). He said his father taught that one could go to hell based on their behavior, even if they thought they had accepted Christ as their Savior. When did that stop being a belief?

[/quote]

I was going to say, your title is a quite disingenuous. I am sure there are some protestants who don't teach about hell (Unitarian Universalists). But for every one of those I am sure there is at least 2 who preach that Catholics are all going to hell. :D

[quote="sallybutler, post:3, topic:284454"]

[/quote]

Yea, so do all protestants. Otherwise they would all be catholic or orthodox

Not all Protestants believe the same thing.

This modern brand of universalism has been around quite some time, at least several hundred years. It does seem to have become more popular of late, and I'd say the '70s is probably a good estimate for when that started.

[/quote]

Perhaps I'm misreading your question, but what makes you think Protestants ever stopped preaching people could go to hell?

What is your evidence that would leave you to believe this? You ask the question as if it were fact, yet the burden of proof lies with you.

[/quote]

The CoC follow a branch of protestant doctrine known as Arminianism, this was named after Jacob Arminius and the Remonstrance in Holland (1610).

The doctrinal difference between this and the Reformed Calvinism which it was in response to is in the area of the Preseverance of the Saints (ie God gives perseverance in Calvinism but it is based in free will and therefore the believer in Arminianism and can thus be lost).

This was in turn followed by the Wesleys (Methodist) and Holiness movements and revivalists such as Charles Finney (2nd great awakening) and of course modern Pentecostalism.

As a former Protestant, I’m a bit surprised that they are supposed to have stopped preaching that people can go to hell. If anything, my experience is that the Catholic Church soft pedals judgement these days.

They didn't any more than Catholics did. More liberal denominations and pastors have de emphasized judgement in favor of a prosperity gospel. And many main line denominations teach that once truly saved, always truly saved. That if you are indeed saved, that you cannot be unsaved.

Ok....:confused:

They do not. Maybe acouple far out cults say that there is no hell (Like the cult lead by that guy from Puerto Rico who claims to be Jesus and whos church members tattoo 666 on themselfs) But You make it seem like you heard that all 30 thousand diffrent denominations made a unanimous decision to no longer preach that you can go to hell.

It is hard to believe you were even serious in asking this post. Where did you hear such a thing? It almost sounds like to me that sombody was purpously trying to start a rumor about protestants. :(

[quote="Conor7, post:8, topic:284454"]
Perhaps I'm misreading your question, but what makes you think Protestants ever stopped preaching people could go to hell?

[/quote]

You misunderstand his question. The issue is about OSAS. The OP is under the belief that ALL denominations preach OSAS. They don't.

Martin Luther thought the Epistle of James was one of straw. He forgot about the Sheep and the Goats in Matthew as do most Protestants.

[quote="jay29, post:14, topic:284454"]
Martin Luther thought the Epistle of James was one of straw. He forgot about the Sheep and the Goats in Matthew as do most Protestants.

[/quote]

What???? :confused:

[quote="Randal796, post:13, topic:284454"]
You misunderstand his question. The issue is about OSAS. The OP is under the belief that ALL denominations preach OSAS. They don't.

[/quote]

Oh ok. The thread title was misleading.

[quote="ltwin, post:15, topic:284454"]
What???? :confused:

[/quote]

Luther preached all you need is FAITH ALONE to get into heaven. Well, fail to do what Christ teaches in the Parable of the Sheep and Goats and you will wind up in hell. Faith without works as describe in the parable you will become one of the "cursed" in the parable and sent to the place prepared for the "devil and his angels"

[quote="jay29, post:17, topic:284454"]
Luther preached all you need is FAITH ALONE to get into heaven. Well, fail to do what Christ teaches in the Parable of the Sheep and Goats and you will wind up in hell. Faith without works as describe in the parable you will become one of the "cursed" in the parable and sent to the place prepared for the "devil and his angels"

[/quote]

Faith without works is dead. This has nothing to do with the question "when did protestants stop preaching that one could go to hell."

[quote="jay29, post:17, topic:284454"]

[/quote]

What Luther said, instead of the strawman. Luther said that justification was operative by grace alone through faith alone. We are justified by grace through faith. But a complete understanding regarding justification by grace through faith also includes the fact that faith cannot be alone. So, a few Luther quotes.

• "It is one thing that faith justifies without works; it is another thing that faith exists without works."*

There is no justification without sanctification, no forgiveness without renewal of life, no real faith from which the fruits of new obedience do not grow.

Faith must of course be sincere.* It must be a faith that performs good works through love. If faith lacks love it is not true faith.** Thus the Apostle bars the way of hypocrites to the kingdom of Christ on all sides. He declares on the one hand, "In Christ Jesus circumcision availeth nothing," i.e., works avail nothing, but faith alone, and that without any merit whatever, avails before God. On the other hand, the Apostle declares that without fruits faith serves no purpose. To think, "If faith justifies without works, let us work nothing," is to despise the grace of God. Idle faith is not justifying faith. In this terse manner Paul presents the whole life of a Christian. Inwardly it consists in faith towards God, outwardly in love towards our fellow-men.*

Jon

[/quote]

Lutherans certainly teach that one can go to Hell.
From the Formula of Concord:

Accordingly, we also believe, teach, and confess that when it is said: The regenerate do good works from a free spirit, this is not to be understood as though it is at the option of the regenerate man to do or to forbear doing good when he wishes, and that he can nevertheless retain faith if he intentionally perseveres in sins.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.