When did the 3 wise men find Jesus?

I can't find it on past searches, but when did the 3 wise men find baby Jesus on the night he was born? I heard that they were late, and didn't find him until a year later. But I always thought they found him that night. I was hoping you guys could help me out here.

Thanks!

The wise men saw the star rise at the birth of Jesus.

They came from the east, and likely arrived 1-2 years later. That is why Herod ordered the slaughter of all the male children under 2 years old when the wise men visited Jerusalem searching for the Christ child.

ok. When did they present the gifts to Jesus and his family?

When they arrived in Bethlehem and located the family.

According to St. Dmitri of Rostov, the Wise Men saw the star at the ANNUNCIATION. It took them awhile to arrange for the caravan.

In the Byzantine tradition, the Magi are commemorated at the Nativity on 25 December. 6 January is the Baptism of Christ.

In the Roman tradition, the Magi and their adoration of the Christ Child are commemorated on 6 January and the Baptism of Christ is the Sunday afterwards (originally the Octave day).

It really doesn’t matter.

[quote="williams02, post:1, topic:178059"]
I can't find it on past searches, but when did the 3 wise men find baby Jesus on the night he was born? I heard that they were late, and didn't find him until a year later. But I always thought they found him that night. I was hoping you guys could help me out here.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Scripture doesn't tell us the exact time but it does let us know it was not at the time of His birth:Matt 2:10-11 "When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. After **coming into the house* they saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell to the ground and worshiped Him. Then, opening their treasures, they presented to Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.Notice that the text reveals the family was living in a **house* at that time and Jesus is called a "child," not a "baby," as in Luke chapter two when the shepherds were told of His birth.

Also, Scripture doesn't say there were "three" magi, it just says, "Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem..." (Matt. 2:1). The tradition of "three" magi probably caught on because they presented three gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. But we don't really know how many magi there actually were that searched for "the One who has been born King of the Jews."

[quote="williams02, post:1, topic:178059"]

Thanks!

[/quote]

The Bible does not say how many wise men there were. People have assumed there were three because of the gifts but that does not necessarily follow.

[quote="thistle, post:7, topic:178059"]
The Bible does not say how many wise men there were. People have assumed there were three because of the gifts but that does not necessarily follow.

[/quote]

It's the tradition of the Church that there were three.

Their names have even come down to us: Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar.

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:8, topic:178059"]

[/quote]

That's a "small t" tradition, not Tradition.

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:8, topic:178059"]

[/quote]

I'm curious as to the source ("come down to us") of this tradition (with a small "t"). Their names "came down" from whom? How did this person know them by name?

The 3 wise men (magi) did not visit the baby Jesus on the night he was born (he was put in a stable/manger), only the shepherds visited him that night. Rather the wise men visited him when he was in a house (no longer in the stable) and was then called a ‘child’ (Matt. 2:11)

It appears to me that rooms were vacated as people completed their census and they were able to move into a room, where the 3 wise men found them.

However, it does appear that the wise men visited him during the time he was in Bethlehem, as it was done seemingly before they left to have him circumcised on the 8th day.

We assume there were 3 wise men because there were 3 gifts and the Apocryphal Books of Adam & Eve concur, but that it was 3 angels as the East is where Paradise is located.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.