when did the church okay taking alms from children?

Our parish priest has started collections from children. I am outraged at this and feel this is wrong. The family or most have either weekly or monthly contributions. Why are we asking children for money when the family is donating to the Church.

If I had young children I would not give them a dime as I would explain as a family we donate from the family. Children do not have jobs and may have save in their piggy banks but not enough to donate weekly to the church. I was going to ask our Archbishop but everyone has a site without contact info. If the Bishops, Pope and Archbishops condone this behavior or made this a Church law it should have been sent in a message from the Pope.

The Catholic church is always criticized for monetary possessions this just adds to the problem and it should be stopped. Is the a common practice condoned by the Church?

The practice of “children’s envelopes” is actually fairly common.

While children do not have full time jobs, many either receive an allowance or have small jobs they occasionally do for a little money (raking leaves, cutting grass, shoveling driveways, etc).

I think you’re being rather harsh on the parish, children aren’t expected to give much money. Maybe a quarter or a dollar. The concept isn’t about getting money from the children but teaching them about the importance of giving back to God and their Church.

The Archdiocese of St. Louis points out:

Just as the stewardship way of life is a fulfilling and joyful lifestyle for adults, it is also a very good lifestyle to teach our children. Consider the benefits:[list]

*] Stewardship can help build self-esteem. The advertisements that children hear in the commercial world often carry the underlying, subtle message that you are not good enough the way you are and therefore you need to acquire this product or that product to make you acceptable. In church kids need to hear a different message. They need to hear that God has already blessed them with all the gifts and talents that they will need. In fact, God has given them an abundance of good things and they have enough to share.
*] Stewardship can make children happier. Unfortunately, in today’s world, children are bombarded with materialistic messages that often lead to a sense of entitlement and to frustration and dissatisfaction with life. In contrast, stewardship encourages an attitude of gratitude. Experts tell us that children usually form their attitudes about sharing sometime between the ages of 6 and 10. They will either develop an entitlement attitude – “The world owes me.” “I don’t have enough.” Or a stewardship attitude – “I have been blessed.” “I am happy to share.” It is impossible to be grateful and unhappy at the same time. As we count our blessings we naturally find a sense of peace and contentment.
*] Stewardship helps children set priorities. As children learn that they are called to give back something to God they also learn that they must let go of some of their own wants. Stewardship teaches children the difference between needs and wants. Children learn to concentrate on their blessings rather than on what they want.
*] Stewardship prepares children for their adult role in the Church. Children need to learn that stewardship is not just a service project that they must do before they can be confirmed or graduate. Stewardship is a way of life. It is the way a good Christian lives every day of every year.[/list]

Parents, of course, are free to refuse the envelopes and teach their children about stewardship in other ways. We live in times where there are so many things competing for our attention and resources, programs that teach children about faithful stewardship are not a “money grab” but rather are simply a “hands on” teaching tool.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.