When did the Church start worship on Sunday?

I’m curious as to when the Church decided Sunday was the day of worship. I know the meaning behind it, being the Lord’s day. However, a Protestant brought it up on a discussion board and I want to show how a Catholic Bishop or Pope decreed it so or even a layman talking about the subject. Preferably from the Patristic era. I know of the references in Acts. I’m looking for Early Church Father material.

Thanks in advance!

Alaha minokhoun,
Andrew

Every Sunday is a “sabbath” cycle (seven day cycle) from the Lord’s resurrection.

A possible practical reason for having the Gentile+Jewish Christian “Sabbath” (Lord’s Day) on Sunday was so that the Jewish Christians could also celebrate the Jewish (cultural) Sabbath on Saturday. They probably celebrated both “holy days”.

Aloha Menehune! :slight_smile:

St Paul talks about collections of money being taken up on ‘the Lords Day’ (Sunday). Almost certainly this would’ve been done then, as now, on the one day of the week when all Christians gathered together for communal worship.

catholic.com/library/Sabbath_or_Sunday.asp

Why would a Bishop need to decree what the Church had been doing since the Apostles? The only time you would be likely to see something like that is when some people started insisting (like a number of Protestant groups do today) that worship must be on the Sabbath, in which case the Church would respond by defending worship on the Lord’s day. I’m not sure if that ever happened.

John

Jesus the living God(John 8:58) rested(Gen.2:2-3, 2Chr.6:41, Ps.132:8, Lu.24:1, 51) from all His works(Rom.4:23-24) of New Creation(Gen.2:4, 2Cor.5:17) on the First day of the week, therefore blessing and sanctifying it(Gen.2:3). Sunday worship, unlike Christian Sabbath keeping, is as biblical as the Bible is long. I guess that wraps this thread up. I mean, what else can be said? They don’t call me "Theadkiller " for nothing.:cool:

Isaiah 1:13 - God begins to reveal His displeasure with the Sabbath.

Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; John 20:1,19- the Gospel writers purposely reveal Jesus’ resurrection and appearances were on Sunday. This is because Sunday had now become the most important day in the life of the Church.

Acts 20:7 - this text shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday, the “first day of the week.” Luke documents the principle worship was on Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship.

1 Cor. 16:2 - Paul instructs the Corinthians to make contributions to the churches “on the first day of the week,” which is Sunday. This is because the primary day of Christian worship is Sunday.

Col. 2:16-17 - Paul teaches that the Sabbath was only a shadow of what was fulfilled in Christ, and says “let no one pass judgment any more over a Sabbath.”

2 Thess. 2:15 - we are to hold fast to apostolic tradition, whether it is oral or written. The 2,000 year-old tradition of the Church is that the apostles changed the Sabbath day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

Heb. 4:8-9 - regarding the day of rest, if Joshua had given rest, God would not later speak of “another day,” which is Sunday, the new Sabbath. Sunday is the first day of the week and the first day of the new creation brought about by our Lord’s resurrection, which was on Sunday.

Heb. 7:12 - when there is a change in the priesthood, there is a change in the law as well. Because we have a new Priest and a new sacrifice, we also have a new day of worship, which is Sunday.

Rev 1:10 - John specifically points out that he witnesses the heavenly Eucharistic liturgy on Sunday, the Lord’s day, the new day of rest in Christ.

Matt. 16:19; 18:18 - whatever the Church binds on earth is bound in heaven. Since the resurrection, Mass has been principally celebrated on Sunday.

Read this in context. This is not talking about the weekly sabbath it is talking about the “new moons” and the cerimonial sabbaths and the vain worship that is attended to them. The Israelites were profaning these days and God was telling them that he would no longer accept their sacrifices.

All these scriptures show is that Jesus rested over the Seventh day of the week, the Jewish Sabbath, the Sabbath of God and raised again on the morning of the 1st day of the week. There is no indication whatsoever that the Sabbath was changed to the first day of the week.

Ok this one is simple, answer this question, "Why were the disciples gathered together? Was it for worship or some other reason.

20:19 " Then that same day at evening being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you."

First off the first day of the week was just beginning, Jewish days go from evening to evening, meaning they had just concluded the Seventh day sabbath.

Second, the disicples were not gathered together for a worship service, they were hiding because the feared retaliation from the Jews.

Third, if you continue to read you will not find anywhere that indicates from Jesus or any disciple that the Sabbath was changed to the first day of the week, and logically this would have been a perfect time to do so.

On what day was Jesus born, couldn’t we just as easily say that this was the most important day in the life of the Church, for without it there would have been no crucifixion. What of the crucifixion, could not this be considered the most important day as it was on this day that our sins were finally covered, that would make Friday, the sixth day the new sabbath. Please note that Christ died before the sixth day was over, he honored the sabbath even in his death for he did not rise again until the dawn, the middle, of the first day.

Let’s look at this text.

“And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.”

Remember what I said about the Jewish days, evening to evening. If this is the evening of the first day of the week as the scripture indicates than it would appear that they had just gotten together after the Seventh day sabbath. Note also the they are breaking bread, you indicate that this is the Holy Communion, but if you look at earlier scriptures they break bread daily. Does that mean that every day the would have Holy Communion? Breaking bread was a term used commonly throughout the scriptures to indicate eating a meal together. Such is the case here. Read further and you will see that after Eutychus falls and is killed and then resurrected that they go back into the house and continue to Break Bread. Is this an all night communion service? Now, being a devout observer of the Sabbath, Lord’s Day, do you think Paul would travel on that day? No, he would not, however, the scripture clearly states that he was ready to travel in the morning, that would be the morning of the first day.

I have run out of time for now, but I will post more later.

May God bless and Keep you, my his countenance shine upon you. Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by **peary **
Isaiah 1:13 - God begins to reveal His displeasure with the Sabbath.

Read this in context. This is not talking about the weekly sabbath it is talking about the “new moons” and the cerimonial sabbaths and the vain worship that is attended to them. The Israelites were profaning these days and God was telling them that he would no longer accept their sacrifices.

Upon what do you think the Sabbath was based? Was the commandment to “Keep holy the Sabbath” instituted prior to or after Isaiah? “Trample my courts no more! Bring no more worthless offerings; your incense is loathsome to me. New moon and sabbath, calling of assemblies, octaves with wickedness: these I cannot bear.” Isaiah 1:13 It doesn’t say ceremonial ‘sabbaths’ (plural); it specifically states ‘sabbath’ (singular).

Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9.

All these scriptures show is that Jesus rested over the Seventh day of the week, the Jewish Sabbath, the Sabbath of God and raised again on the morning of the 1st day of the week. There is no indication whatsoever that the Sabbath was changed to the first day of the week.

**“After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning…” Matt. 28:1 The verse explcitly states that it was the first day of the week.

“Very early when the sun had risen, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb.” Mark 16:2

“When he had risen, early on the first day of the week…” Mark 16:9.

On the first day of the week…” John 20:1

“On the evening of that first day of the week…” John 20:19**

Ok this one is simple, answer this question, "Why were the disciples gathered together? Was it for worship or some other reason.

Was it for worship or some other reason? It was Sunday, the first day of the week.

First off the first day of the week was just beginning, Jewish days go from evening to evening, meaning they had just concluded the Seventh day sabbath.

The Sabbath was already over. It was now Sunday evening. The Sabbath goes from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.

Second, the disicples were not gathered together for a worship service, they were hiding because the feared retaliation from the Jews.

You just answered your previous question.

The Bible never states that they were in worship when Christ appeared to them. It says that they were hiding because they feared retaliation.

Third, if you continue to read you will not find anywhere that indicates from Jesus or any disciple that the Sabbath was changed to the first day of the week, and logically this would have been a perfect time to do so.

These quotations have made is explicitly clear that the Resurrection occurred on Sunday, the first day of the week.

On what day was Jesus born, couldn’t we just as easily say that this was the most important day in the life of the Church, for without it there would have been no crucifixion.

No. Our salvation was complete on Calvary through Christ’s blood, not in a stable in Bethlehem.

What of the crucifixion, could not this be considered the most important day as it was on this day that our sins were finally covered, that would make Friday, the sixth day the new sabbath.

We celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. His death occurred before the Sabbath.

**“And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.” Acts 20:7

It explicitly states the first day of the week, which is Sunday.**

, calling of assemblies, octaves with wickedness: these I cannot bear." Isaiah 1:13 It doesn’t say ceremonial ‘sabbaths’ (plural); it specifically states ‘sabbath’ (singular).

Is it the Sabbaths that he is saying he hates? Look again at the whole thing, and take note as to who it is he is speaking.

Isaiah 1:11-15 “*Hear the word of the Lord ye rulers of Sodom: give ear unto the law of our God, ye people unto Gamorrah. To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullock, or of lambs, or of he goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; the new moons and the sabbaths,(My version says new MOONS and SABBATHS - KJV) the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth, they are trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hand are full of blood” *

It is the new moons and the appointed feasts, the ceremonial sabbaths that he hates, at it is because of the transgressions and the profaning of these days by the apostated preists that he hates them. He exhorts the preist not to bring into his presents VAIN oblations, but states at the sametime that he cannot do away with them because the new moons where in the ceremonies representing Christ’s ultimate sacrifice can not be abolished because it is part of the plan. Neither will he abolish the sabbaths (the seventh day sabbaths) because he will not unbless something that he has blessed, God’s blessings last forever.

Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9.

"After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning…" Matt. 28:1 The verse explcitly states that it was the first day of the week.

“Very early when the sun had risen, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb.” Mark 16:2

“When he had risen, early on the first day of the week…” Mark 16:9.

On the first day of the week…” John 20:1

“On the evening of that first day of the week…” John 20:19

Was it for worship or some other reason? It was Sunday, the first day of the week.

The Sabbath was already over. It was now Sunday evening. The Sabbath goes from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.

[/quote]

I did that to make a point.

The Bible never states that they were in worship when Christ appeared to them. It says that they were hiding because they feared retaliation.

I never said that Jesue did not raise on the First day of the week, I am simply stating that his resurrection did not culminate in the changing of the Sabbath. I you search the scriptures you will find that the Apostles followed Jesus’s example of worshipping on the Jews Sabbath, as was his custom each and every week.

Luke 4:16 "And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read."

I ask you also to read Mark 2:27-28; Luke 23:54-56; Matt 24:20, Luke 21:20, matt 28:1, Mark 15:42 & 16:1

As for the Apostles I give you Acts 17:2 “* And Paul,(Remember Paul?) as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures.”*

If Jesus had intend to change the Sabbath don’t you think he would have told somebody, especially the Disciples/Apostles. Instead he makes this speech.

Matt. 5:17-19 * "Think not* (Ok people don’t think this) that I am come to destroy the law, (Is the Sabbath a part of the law?), or the prophets:(The prophets also told prophecies concerning the Sabbath)I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill(I am here to magnify the law, to show you how it should be obeyed)For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth shall all pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.(Key words here are ALL, JOT, TITTLE, NO WISE PASS and FULFILLED)

Is God a liar? Is Jesus Immanuel or God among us? If Jesus is God among us and God is not a liar then why would he change the sabbath after making such a statement? Have all things been fufilled? Have all the prophecies that were spoken of in the Old Testment by the prophets been fufilled? Until these things are done there will be now change in the Law of God. The Sabbath is
one of the Commandments, no matter what order you put them in, God blessed it and sanctified it. It is his day. Made for man by God so that man may glory in God’s goodness and commune with him on a set day of rest.)

I have not time for any more here.

The grace of God be with you.

I have heard this statement before, but could you point me to where this is written in scripture that he rested on the Sabbath.

I see that he was crucified and died on Friday and decended to the dead where he preached to the dead, and then rose on the first day of the week, but where does it say that he rested on the Sabbath?

I have to say - of course Jesus went to the synagogue on the sabbath, so did Paul. It wasn’t, however, simply to worship as the Jews did, it was to convert them.

Since Sabbath was the one day when all Jews gathered together and synagogue was the one place where they did their Sabbath gathering, OF COURSE both Jesus and Paul went there to convert people! Just as Paul went to the Areopagus, the Town Council and main meeting place in Athens, to preach to them. Presumably on a market-day or meeting-day so it was full.

What makes you think Saturday worship is any more set in stone than other Levitical commands like dietary laws or circumcision (which were explicitly done away with in their entirety in the NT)?

The state of the dead is another subject all together. Which I would love to go into at a later date. However, there is no scripture that explicitly states that Jesus rested the Seventh Day, but as the Bible repeatedly states, and as I said we can go into this at a later date, the dead know not anything, they sleep, see the incident concerning Lazaras and what Jesus says concerning him before he raised him, it would make since that Jesus “rested” for death to a Christian is “rest”.

I agree, he did go to the synagogue to convert the Jews. But I ask you, what were the Gentiles doing there and why didn’t they ask him to come back on the First Day of the week to expound on the Gospel instead of the Sabbath? Also note that it was he’s “Custom”, mean it was his habit, before and after his conversion.

Do we limit ourselves to witnessing on our worship day only? No, so why would we expect Paul or any of the other Apostles to do so? But do you think JesuS just went to convert people? You’ve got to be kidding!! Jesus was obedient to the Father just as we are expected to be. He taught in the synagogue on the Sabbath because thAT was his habit, his devotion to the Father in heaven.

What makes you think Saturday worship is any more set in stone than other Levitical commands like dietary laws or circumcision (which were explicitly done away with in their entirety in the NT)?

Uh, maybe because Moses witnessed God writing it with his finger in the tablets. Whereas the Levitical commands like the dietary laws were written on parchment by his own hand as directed by God. The problem is that many don’t understand that these are two seperate sets of laws. The one, God’s law, was place INSIDE the Ark of the Covenant, the most honored place for the Isrealites, on the other had, the Ceremonial law, the Levitical Laws as you like to refer to them were place OUTSIDE the Ark, the were never intend to be permenant as they pointed the way to Christ, who being crucified brought them to and end. Although there are still somethings with in those laws that we would do will to continue to follow, though not required.

Let us reason together.

the day Jesus rose from the dead and in so doing made it the Lord’s Day, ref. journey to Emmaus when he appeared unrecognized on the eve of that day and explained the entire sequence of events from OT prophecy to its fulfillment and in effect set the form of the Mass as it was celebrated in apostolic times (ref acts) and is still today.

if you have a quarrel, take it up with Jesus, not the Church.

The Sabbath is Saturday. The Lord’s Day is Sunday. see also the other current thread on this topic

If the dead know nothing then why did Jesus preach to the dead, and why are the elders in heaven presenting the bowls of incense which is the prayers of the saints to God, and why in the parable of the rich man and Lazaras, are both the rich man and Lazaras both conscience, and why do Moses and Elijah both talking to Jesus even though they have been dead for well over 1,000 years?

As for no scriptural evidence for Jesus resting on the Sabbath, you just stated in your previous post that He did rest on the Sabbath.

So to support your theology, you claim something to be true that in not taught in scripture (Jesus resting), and you claim another thing which the New Testament shows not to be true (The dead not knowing anything).

I hope you will have a good explaination later, because you are not off to a good start.

The State of the Dead
The State of the Dead
The State of the Dead
The State of the Dead
The State of the Dead

If you read the 4th (or 3rd, depending on numbering) in context, you will see that the Sabbath observance had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with worship.

It was about STOPPING WORK. The very Hebrew word means “cessation”. This was an enforced rest from labor that extended even to one’s slaves and farm animals.

Services were held TWICE DAILY in the Tabernace, the Temple, and after the Exile, in Synagogues.

Traditional synagogues have TWICE DAILY services to this day.

I really appreciate this explanation. :thumbsup:

I am sorry but I don’t see it. All I see is that Jesus talks with these two concerning the prophecies that he has fulfilled, confirming who he is. There is nothing in this that indicates a change in HIS day. I am refering to where he states that he is “The Lord of the Sabbath”, making the Sabbath the “Lord’s Day”. Look also at Isaiah 58:13-14 “If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day: and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words; Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the hight places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father; for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.”

Are we not heirs of Abraham? Are we not heirs of Jacob? Don’t these promises apply to us.

Mark 2: 27-28 “And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath; Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord also of the sabbath.”

As I’ve stated before the sabbath was made so man could commune with God on HIS day of rest. There has been no change other that what men have changed. So important a change in the commandment would have been stated either by Christ, the Apostles through Christ’s direction or by the Father himself. There is not, fact is when time is finished and God dwells among us we will continue to observe that sabbaths of the Lord.

Isaiah 66:22-23 " For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall yourseed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord"

This is a prophecy from the Old Testament concerning the end of all things, when God will renew the heavens and the earth. If God was going to change his holy day don’t you think his prophet would have said so? But he didn’t, he confirmed the sabbath as being God’s holy day. It makes no sense that the Jews of the old testament would observe the Seventh Day sabbath and that we will be observing it in the new earth but we shouldn’t observe it now.

The Lord’s Day the is observed on Sunday, the first day, was instituted by man, using manmade traditions to do so. Check out your own church history, even your own leadership admits not having any biblical authority to do so, but it was done.

I do not mean any disrespect to anyone here, do not get me wrong, the is no malice intended. In this type of forum it is hard to show love in the written word, that is the reason I try to express a blessing and an exhortation to come together in reasoning and understanding. God loves us all, Christ died for us all.

May peace abound all the days of your life.

That is not true. The Lord’s Day is observed on the first day of the week (Sunday) because that is the day of Resurrection. the Bible makes this clear in several places. Christians worship on the Lord’s Day. We are not under the Old Covenant but the New, and we are not Jews.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.