When did the PROTESTANT religion go bad?

Since the Catholic Church is under scrutiny in the thread "When did the Catholic Church go bad?", I thought it might be appropriate to ask when did the PROTESTANT religion go bad? Don't take offense.
Many mainline denominations have tossed aside the Bible and embraced liberalism and relativity. What do you believe are the undercurrents of that shift?

In the late 1800s when liberalism began to creep into Protestant Seminaries.

When they broke away from the Catholic Church. Sorry couldn't resist.:D

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:276347"]
Since the Catholic Church is under scrutiny in the thread "When did the Catholic Church go bad?", I thought it might be appropriate to ask when did the PROTESTANT religion go bad? Don't take offense.
Many mainline denominations have tossed aside the Bible and embraced liberalism and relativity. What do you believe are the undercurrents of that shift?

[/quote]

Is the Catholic Church opposed to relativity? I know that people go on about relativism . . . ;)

Well of course the day they decided to replicate the Church Jesus Christ founded. ;)

Go bad or get lost [little "L" lost, not big "L" lost]? The first would be when secular concerns took priority over God [and varies for each denomination; some of which haven't gone "bad" yet]; the second would be from their start.

According to the Catholic Church's Catechism, they have NOT "Gone Bad". They are out of step with the True Church, but they have many gifts and are a path to God.

As a Catholic that spent many years as a non-Catholic Christian I have found that these churches played a major role in my spiritual education and path to Christ. We as Catholics can learn a LOT from our non-Catholic sisters and brothers. I thank God for them and pray a Rosary at least once a week for the "Protestant" souls in Purgatory (since their living friends and family likely don't believe in such a thing)...

God bless

I must agree with this comment. I pray for our Christian brothers and sisters to come back home.

lambethconference.org/resolutions/1930/1930-15.cfm

The Lambeth Conference of 1930 was the beginning of the moral decay of most Protestant Denominations, beginning with the Episcopal Church. See link above.

To prevent this decay of occurring in the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Paul VI wrote humanae vitae.

scborromeo.org/docs/humanae_vitae.pdf

Happy Reading

[quote="cajunhillbilly, post:2, topic:276347"]
In the late 1800s when liberalism began to creep into Protestant Seminaries.

[/quote]

Could you be more specific about when this occured?

[quote="Myqyl, post:7, topic:276347"]
they have NOT "Gone Bad". They are out of step with the True Church,

[/quote]

Gone bad no doubt wasn't a great choice of words. Out of step may be a correct in some case's. Walking in the completely opposite direction is correct for others. I suppose it depends "which" of these is referred to.

[/quote]

And many haven't.

I see Catholics as betraying their own 'charter,' layman and clergy alike, in embracing Stateism, and now they must deal with what they have created.

At least, many mainline Protestants are adamantly against Communism, are not afraid to speak against it, and do not think it a shameful thing to love their country.

I say when Joseph Smith came into it.

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:12, topic:276347"]
And many haven't.

I see Catholics as betraying their own 'charter,' layman and clergy alike, in embracing Stateism, and now they must deal with what they have created.

At least, many mainline Protestants are adamantly against Communism, are not afraid to speak against it, and do not think it a shameful thing to love their country.

[/quote]

Right, in this sense we see Christians being Christians and upholding basic teachings, and placing their difference aside to a degree. Obviously we have many in all areas who are Christian by name only as we see in our Government with Catholics today.

Nothing new though, the percentage who strickly follow Catholic teaching is a known. The Priests in every single parish are accutely aware of who belongs and who attends.

Yes, severe break in Theology. That would be one the walks in the opposite direction I referred to.

[/quote]

I think the worst assault on all the Christian faiths came from the 1960s onwards. The Catholic Church was badly damaged by dissent but being the True Church, its doctrines remained intact. In many Protestant denominations, dissent became doctrine.

There is but one Church, founded by Jesus Christ, Son of God. It preceded all others by at least 1000 years. The Orthodox split off in 1059 A.D. Protestantism didn't begin till 1517 A.D., when Martin Luther, an ex-Catholic monk/priest schismed from the Church and began to rewrite Christian teaching according to his own whims.

Christ and His Church are inseparably one. The Church is the Body of Christ. It is indefectibly holy. Not because of the Pope, the bishops, the priests, etc., but because it has, as its head, Jesus Christ, Who is God. And it has, as its soul, the Holy Spirit, Who is God.

I believe the major, overt shift was, as one might expect, in the 1960s and 70s. Though certainly there were earlier roots going back to at least the 19th century. In fact, I seem to recall a jape or two about agnostic bishops in the Church of England from G.K. Chesterton in the Aughts (when he was also still an Anglican), which suggests to me that this is something older than we of the newer generations sometimes think.

[/quote]

When Luther wrote his 95 theses

[quote="Zundrah, post:13, topic:276347"]
I say when Joseph Smith came into it.

[/quote]

Joseph Smith wasn't a protestant, though. That's a whole different belief system.

My own vote would be for a much earlier date (like the late 15th century). But I also agree with the posters who affirmed the good that protestants do; my protestant brothers and sisters helped me a great deal in my journey to God. As the actor Sklar Tesla said concerning his own conversion (paraphrasing here): The Catholic Church is like a huge, brightly-lit, beautiful cruise ship with St. Peter at the wheel. All the different protestant sects are like small row boats out there in the dark, rowing in the same direction. We're all heading to the same place. I'd just rather be on the cruise ship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.