When did you have your first child?

I’m wondering, how old were you when you had your fist child? Do you wish you’d waited longer or tried earlier? I am 24, married 3 years, and am starting to feel the baby-bug coming on! Many people (mostly people who do not know me very well) keep saying, “you’re too young” or “you’re just a baby!”. The thing is, my husband is quite a bit older than me, and that’s just one reason I don’t want to wait too long. We’re thinking I’ll try to get pregnant is about a year. I am excited, as is my mom!

I was 23 when I got pregnant. Seemed fine for us.

I was 25 when my first was born. It’s been wonderful. I definitely don’t feel like we rushed into it or that I or my husband were too young. Our lives changed, yes, but for the better — we now have the fullness of a family.

Try not to let the naysayers get you down. A baby is a beautiful gift from God no matter what age.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

I was 30 when we got married, my wife was 22. We had our first child when I was 32, she lived only a day, we had our next child when I was 34, another at 37 and the last at 42. I wish I had been younger so that I would have more time to spend with my grandchildren but I would not have married my wonderful wife if I had married at 23 or 24. So I guess things are working out just as God planned. :slight_smile:

I was 21 and my wife 23 or 24?

Our second I was 24, she was 26, I think. To tell the truth i don’T know how old she is? either 27 or 28. Oh well.

But anyways, I’m glad we had the little buggers. And would do it again in a heartbeat, heh, probably even sooner if I could get away with it. :slight_smile:

I was just shy of 18 when I had my first, yes she was unplanned but NEVER un-wanted. I had to finish high school at night that year but I had a lot of help from my family and true friends. My daughter will be 25 next week and I am greatful to God for blessing me with her. I later learned that I have Polysistic Ovarian Syndrom, which makes conception without medical treatment extermely rare.

It was hard row to hoe as a unwed teenage mom, but God gave me the graces I needed to see it through.

Steph, I wish you and your husband all the best.
Linda H.

I was 30 and my wife was 23, yes I robbed the cradle.:smiley:

I had my first child at 21. I did have a few people tell me I was too young, but these were the same people who said I was too young to get married at 20. This had more to do with the popular culture ideas than with me truly being ready for these things. I am currently 23 and pregnant with my second baby.

I would do it the same if I had it to do over again. Whether other people think you are ready or not has nothing to do with what you should do. That is something you and your husband have to decide through prayer and communication.

[quote=riabia]I had my first child at 21. I did have a few people tell me I was too young, but these were the same people who said I was too young to get married at 20. This had more to do with the popular culture ideas than with me truly being ready for these things. I am currently 23 and pregnant with my second baby.

I would do it the same if I had it to do over again. Whether other people think you are ready or not has nothing to do with what you should do. That is something you and your husband have to decide through prayer and communication.
[/quote]

My son was born just 4 days before my 27th birthday.

Emmy

I was 21 when I had my first.

My friends from high school and college are just starting to have children… they are all pushing 30 now :wink:

I’m glad I was younger to do the physical aspects of child raising, but of course you forego the opportunity to build up some financial, career, and marriage stability if you have children early.

My prayers are with you and your husband as you try to bring another life into the world.

Shiann

I was 28 when I had my first, 30 when I had my second. My husband and I were married 5 years befire we had a child. He was in graduate school and I was in nursing school and we were only making $4,000 a year - it cost $3,600 for our subsidized apartment and could barely feed ourselves let alone a child. My mother constantly called asking when she was going to be a grandmother as I have no brothers or sisters. She would ask me if my husband was unable to perform, sterile, or best of all gay :bigyikes:

My husband, age 28 and I, age 24 were virgins on our wedding day. Nine months later we had our first miracle. We are still married 38 years later.

One summer when our children were 3 and 5 we spent 6 weeks camping in Europe in our VW camper. Our children only had one small toy each and they were never happier. We met a couple who had been given a wedding gift of a year long camping trip in Europe. Their parents wanted them to see the world before they had to settle down with children and work. Little did they know that they…just like my husband and I…had their first baby nine months after the wedding. Their baby was about a month old when we met them at a camp ground in Germany. Their baby wasn’t “planned” but they were enjoying every minute of parenthood in their little VW.

My philosophy is that once you commit to marriage you also commit to the possibility of children. Whenever God gives them to you is the right time. I think if the couple in Germany had decided they should be the ones to choose the times and places for their children’s births they may still be childless.

I was 27 when my son was born. I got married at 24 and waited 1 year to try to get pregnant. But after a few months of trying and a miscarriage, my son came later than I planned. While I appreciate that my life was less financially complicated than it would have been had I gotten pregnant before I paid off my college loans, I don’t think I would make the same decision again. If I had to do it again, I’d probably be ready for kids soon after the wedding. Now that I’m 30 with 2 kids, I’m fully aware of my biological clock ticking, and while I still may have plenty of time to have more several more, I’ve thought many times, that I feel more rushed than I would have if I had been open to pregnancy sooner. Sometimes, unproductive though this thought is, I think that my son should have had an older sibling (I was fertile on my honeymoon, and would have had plenty of time to have 1 baby, wait, then still end up with my son when he came along). And I do have that feeling of you never know what another day will bring, so I don’t want to be too willing to avoid pregnancy. Take your concern to God in prayer. Consider if you have serious reasons not to get pregnant now. And don’t worry about what everyone else says. May God bless you with wisdom and discernment.
TKC

[quote=Linda H.]I was just shy of 18 when I had my first, yes she was unplanned but NEVER un-wanted. I had to finish high school at night that year but I had a lot of help from my family and true friends. My daughter will be 25 next week and I am greatful to God for blessing me with her. I later learned that I have Polysistic Ovarian Syndrom, which makes conception without medical treatment extermely rare.

It was hard row to hoe as a unwed teenage mom, but God gave me the graces I needed to see it through.

Steph, I wish you and your husband all the best.
Linda H.
[/quote]

Congratulations. You made a wise decision. God bless you!

I was 18 and it was a perfect timeing. My husband and I wanted several children and had all three of ours by the time I was 24. Due to cancer we could not have more so God knew what he was doing in giving us an early start. I was never an imature type of teenager anyway. Much older than Our Lady was at any rate. :wink:

My first child was born when I was 20. I was unmarried, and put him up for adoption. After I got married at 34, I had two miscarriages. Then in January of 1997, I had a beautiful little girl. She is now seven, has freckles across the nose, blue-green eyes and auburn hair.
My son was born in June 2000, 10 days before my 40th birthday. He is also beautiful with dark blond hair and sweet baby blues (like his daddy).
Do I ever reget the decision to put up my son for adoption in '81?
Not a bit. Do I miss him? With every fiber of my being, everday.
But I know I did the right thing.

I am 22 and my husband is 29 and our first child was born 5 months ago. I am loving being a mom.

:slight_smile:

I was 38, but I did not get married until I was 36. I would not trade our son for anything, but I know I would have had more energy had he been born when I was younger. Also, we are hoping for more, but age does make conception more difficult.

I was 19, and married, when we had our first (so was my hubby) 21 our second, 23 our 3rd, 24 our 4th, 26 our 5th, 28 our 6th, and we will both be 29 when #7 arrives. :slight_smile: Wouldn’t change a thing.

I lost my first one at 20 to miscarriage and gave birth to my first at 21… I wasn’t supposed to have another that close, but God knew better. Annunciata:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.