When did you start taking your faith seriously?

When did you really begin taking the faith seriously? Did you have a conversion experience, or where you inspired by the example set by others?

Personally, I have always been religious despite the fact that my family is not; my older sisters aren’t even baptised. Traditionally, my family is Catholic but everyone has fallen away from the faith.

I became religious when I went to Catholic school. Seeing the large crucifixes in every classroom, and the statues of the Virgin and the Saints really got me interested, and I became Catholic when I was about 7 years old. Unfortunately, as I got older I stopped being religious and I left the Church for many years.

I came back to the Church about a year ago because of the Rosary. The Blessed Mother is responsible for bringing me back into the Church; she introduced me to her Son and I recieved many graces through her intercession. Obviously this is a condensed version but this is basically what happened. I recieved a Rosary as a gift and it caused me to start praying and reading the Bible etc.

The day I held my baby girl in my arms for the first time and realized what an awesome gift and responsibility I had been given.

I’m a cradle Catholic (now 45) and was brought up as a Catholic and went to a Convent school. It was only when I left home that I realised I was now on my own with regard to going to Confession, Mass, etc. and I strayed off the path for a few years, did not go to Mass and then also tried going to various other non-Catholic services out of curiosity. I ran back to the Catholic Church very fast and knew I was home and it was then when I really started to take my faith seriously (I would have been about 21 or 22 by then).

Watching Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” when it came out further strengthened my Catholic faith and I am so proud to be a Catholic.

Yes, I go through periods of spiritual dryness, etc. like everyone but it is all part of the journey and, as long as we look to Him and look to Our Blessed Mother (“do whatever He tells you”), for guidance, we cannot go wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.