When do I go too far?

Today, after a talk about the morality of Sunday shopping after blowing up over it, I realized that I have some issues knowing where the line is. I end up confused, and would like some advice on where to set the boundaries. I am too young for a spiritual director, and have only started getting back to Confession. Where is the line, on issues not as clear cut as Thou Shalt Not Murder. I thought about the OCD/Scrupulosity group, but that’s been inactive for months. Help!

You are never too young for spiritual help. Simply tell your pastor the kind of trouble you having.

My grandparents already take me along to Mass and Confession, don’t want to put more of a burden on them. I can ask them about most things…

But again with the burden. I don’t want to pepper them 24/7 with the questions that pop into mind.

Your pastor may be able to or recommend someone who would be able to help you partly by phone or email, and meet with you for a few minutes after Mass from time to time.

And of course, you can get a lot of answers here at CAF!

As to your blow-up–I think you should refrain from commenting about other people’s actions, esp your grandparents/parents, who have authority over you. A lot of times, if you see a discrepancy between the Faith and an action, you can ask a question about it: Hey, Granddad, why is it ok to shop on Sundays? And do not argue with the answer!!! Reflect on it, ask for clarfication, but avoid arguing.

Remember that your grandparents have probably already been through your questions themselves :wink:

As a Grandparent, I can tell you with some confidence that your grandparents are most happy to talk with you about most anything. Give it a try with a mild associated question if you are really unsure how they would respond.

You can ask your specific questions about the faith, here.

What line are you referring to?

Maybe you are confused about terrorists
killing people in the Name of God, well,
they ARE going by their God-given consc-
iences, but they have been blinded by their
zeal to serve THEIR cause, it certainly wasn’t
God’s will for them to COMMIT MURDER in
order to bring God’s reign nearer, just the oppo-
site is true, they have done INJUSTICE by
killing innocent people and thus have made
the Love that Christ came to give to people
GROW COLD!! See Matt. 24:12

As to doing certain work on Sundays, first, necessary work is ok to do, like cooking and doing dishes.

The work forbidden is heavy work, like digging ditches, but even that can be done if there is a serious need–like a storm coming in on Monday for which you are digging drainage ditches.

Thank you all for your tips. I will definitely ask my grandparents questions, they offered, and need to make amends and go to Confession regarding Honor Thy Mother and Father. Thanks for clearing some of my Scrupulosity up !:smiley:

PS: I do unfairly judge people. Need to work on that!

I think the Op is asking about shopping on Sundays,
If Sunday is the only day one ca shop, or has the day off work, is it okay then, or is it always okay to shop on Sundays?

Depends, if the person really needs the money from the work, he can work on Sunday.

I think it’d be good to lighten up on shopping. It’s not worth fighting over, either way.

I don’t know that the Church has ruled on this with an specificity, but we are to avoid unnecessary servile labor.

Oops, hit the wrong button!

So, I would say that shopping that can be done on other days should be avoided, while shopping that can only be done on Sundays is all right. Running a cash register would he different from stocking shelves if the shelves can wait.

Remember that the Sabbath is made for us–we need to try to use it as God intended, but also not go so far as to create hardships for ourselves or others.

Get your hands on the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church or the Catechism itself.

A great assistance.

I will. Thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.