When Do the Liturgy Changes Begin?

Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I’ve searched on the internet and can’t seem to find a date for when the changes in the liturgy are supposed to actually happen. I know one of our parish priests attended a meeting in Chicago this month regarding changes in the mass; but he didn’t say anything about when they would start.:shrug:
I’m enthused about the changes and thought they would come about this year.

November 2011 (First Sunday of Advent).

Rome approved the new English translation in March of this year. It will take time for publishers to produce worship aids, new musical accompaniment, etc.

usccb.org/romanmissal/

I assume you’re talking about the new translation of the Mass?

Advent 2011, as far as we know.

Thank you. I was hoping it would be this Advent. Do you think they might introduce some changes gradually before Advent 2011?

I think if they’re smart they will.

In our diocese, there has been talk about these changes ever since my husband and I came into the Church in 2004. We’ve known that the current translation is not the best, and that the new translations will be more accurate. There have been discussions of some of the new responses. Priests have mentioned the changes to come in their homilies. A recent article in our Catholic newspaper mentioned printed papers with the various responses so that Catholics can start getting used to them.

I’m guessing that in the next year, we’ll see more radio broadcasts on his weekly radio show from our Bishop, and also a video or two during Mass from our Bishop, who will explain the reason for the changes, and describe the various changes, including the responses. This seems to be the way our bishop prefers to inform his flock about developments in the Catholic Church, and it’s a good, efficient way to do so, as it reaches the most people with the least amount of time and money spent. It’s also thrilling to see our Bishop speak!

I think this is a good way to do things–get people gradually accustomed to any changes so that when the day comes, people aren’t upset. I think most Catholics agree totally with improvements in the translation of the OF Mass, but I think that many people, myself included, are discombombulated and flustered by sudden changes. It’s always best to gradually draw people in rather than thrust newness upon them.

It’s already been introduced in some other places like Africa. It’s not only the text but a lot of the music surrounding the new text has to be in place as well. It appears that the changes will affect every U.S. parish at the same time and with the complete texts as it is all integrated. It is my understanding that they will not affect other vernaculars like the Spanish or Polish Mass, not at this time anyway.

That said, it will be interesting to see if any priest will petition for an indult to say it the older way once the new ones are in place. Just my thoughts.

+JMJ+

I do not think it likely that Rome or the English-speaking Bishops’ Conferences will advocate a piece-by-piece transition to the new translation. Liturgiam Authenticam explains:
74. A certain stability ought to be maintained whenever possible in successive editions prepared in modern languages. The parts that are to be committed to memory by the people, especially if they are sung, are to be changed only for a just and considerable reason. Nevertheless, if more significant changes are necessary for the purpose of bringing the text into conformity with the norms contained in this Instruction, it will be preferable to make such changes at one time, rather than prolonging them over the course of several editions. In such case, a suitable period of catechesis should accompany the publication of the new text.
It will be more expensive to produce interim liturgical aids (that have the old translation for some parts and the new translation for others) that will be useless once the complete transition has taken effect.

Instead, I think the tactic will be to introduce and explain the new translation outside of actual liturgical use – although this could still take place within the context of a homily or a brief presentation after the Post-Communion Prayer. Catechesis on the new translation will (or should) begin long before it is actually used at Mass, and it will certainly continue beyond the introduction of the new translation.

Praised be Jesus Christ!
Thank you for the information. I noticed you are advertising your book on the new translation on all of your posts. After having checked your blogs and Amazon.com
I haven’t been able to find out anything about your background. You sound great, but
I’m very cautious about the religious things I read, and was wondering if you could share
your qualifications with us. I’m guessing that your graduate degrees are in Liturgy or
Theology. Thanks!

If you believe the authors at the PrayTell blog, don’t hold your breath for the new translation at the beginning of Advent 2011:

Here’s the latest on the upcoming (we still think it probably is) English missal from semi-official sources. We don’t know whether the final text is coming very soon or will be further delayed. We don’t know whether all the thousands of changes made to the submitted text will be in the final text or not. We don’t know how many further changes are being made to the ‘presentation text’ given to the Holy Father as it was granted recognitio (Roman approval). We don’t know whether the planned Advent 2011 implementation date in the US will still be possible.

Now you know.

And from a liturgical publisher on his blog:

As a Roman Catholic publisher, we rely on a steady stream of information from ICEL and from the Bishops Committee on Divine Worship in Washington. We have a good relationship with both organizations and I believe there is a level of mutual respect. There is absolutely nothing of substance coming from either of these two bodies. We are more than ready and willing to serve the needs of the singing and praying Church, but our best efforts at trying to approach all of this in as organized a fashion as possible are eroding as each day passes. I have no doubt that the talented and dedicated staff here at WLP will do everything we can to serve our peoples’ needs. But, it is beginning to get a bit scary.

Where is the text?

Or…who knows…maybe it will all come together in time.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty…

Peace be with you. R. And with your spirit.

Correct?

I can’t wait to say “and with your spirit” instead of “and also with you”.
Then I see they’ll be going back to:

through my fault, through my fault, through my most greivous fault
mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

only say the word and my soul shall be healed

Correct?

The changes will begin in your diocese when your local ordinary (e.g. bishop) says they begin. The local ordinary has the final say in these matters.
He may establish a time table which gradually introduces the new language and ritual or he may do an instant change-over. Bear in mind that the bishop must first verify that each parish in his see has the necessary materials to effect the transition and as we are all painfully aware, funds are tight. Setting the projected earliest date as Advent of next year allows the publishers of missalettes time to print and distribute the revised material for the laity. One presumes that the parish finance committee will be able by then to allocate funds to purchase the new Roman Missal and lectionaries for the priests and lectors.

In Christ,
Reb Levi

The Lectionary doesn’t change. The Roman Missal only costs about $250 and you only require one copy. This is NOT a great expense for any but the poorest of parishes.

How I understand the changes:

1. Greeting

Priest: The Lord be with you.
People: And with your spirit.

1. Penitential Act

I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have **greatly sinned **in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault; therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

or

Priest: Have mercy on us, O Lord.
People:** For we have sinned against you.**
Priest: Show us, O Lord, your mercy.
People: And grant us your salvation.

1. Gloria

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will. We praise you, we bless you, we adore you, we glorify you, we give you thanks for your great glory, Lord God, heavenly King, O God, almighty Father. **Lord Jesus Christ, **Only Begotten Son, **Lord God, Lamb of God, **Son of the Father, ******you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us; you take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer; you are seated at the right hand of the Father, **have mercy on us. For you alone are the Holy One, you alone are the Lord, you alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father. Amen.

1. Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, **born of the Father before all ages. **God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven, **and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, **and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, **he suffered death and was buried, ****and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. **He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end. And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. And one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

1. Apostle’s Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, **who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, **was crucified, died and was buried; he descended **into hell; **on the third day he rose again **from the dead; **he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

1. Suscipiat Dominus

May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands for the praise and glory of his name, for our good and the good of all his holy Church.

1. Preface Dialog

Priest: Lift up your hearts.
People: We lift them up to the Lord.
Priest: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
People: It is right and just.

1. Sanctus

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts. Heaven and earth are full of your glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest.

1. Mystery of Faith (Memorial)

Priest: The mystery of faith.
People:
A – **We proclaim your death, O Lord, and profess your Resurrection until you come again. **
or
B – When we eat this Bread and drink this Cup, we proclaim your death, **O Lord, **until you come again.
or
C – **Save us, Savior of the world, for **by your Cross and Resurrection, you have set us free.

1. Sign of Peace

Priest: The peace of the Lord
be with you always.

1. Ecce Agnus Dei

Priest: Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sins of the world.
Blessed are those** called to the supper of the Lamb.** All: Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

1. Concluding Rite

Looks like some of us will be burning the midnight oil on this one. :smiley:

npm.org/Articles/mass_setting_winners.html

From the NPM Web Site:
William Gokelman and David Kauffman of San Antonio, Texas, were selected as the first place winners of a new Mass setting competition sponsored by the National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM). The selection of the winner was determined by ratings of participants in the NPM National Convention held from July 12 to 16 in Detroit, Michigan.

NPM invited composers to create musical settings of the new English translation of the Mass that is expected to be implemented late in 2011. From more than 150 entries that were submitted, a panel of five judges selected four finalists to be rated by convention participants.

Gokelman and Kauffman’s composition, entitled Messa Rinnovare: Mass of Renewal, may be sung with various combinations of instruments, including guitar, piano, organ, brass, and even full orchestra. It may be sung simply by a congregation alone or with the participation of a four-part choir.

The other finalists for the NPM Mass setting competition were J. Christopher Pardini of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (second place); William Glenn Osborne of Orlando, Florida (third place); and Thomas J. Fielding of Raleigh, North Carolina (fourth place).

The Association’s top honors this year were presented at the annual Pastoral Musicians Breakfast on the third day of the convention. More than $30,000 in scholarships was also presented to eighteen women and men pursuing graduate and undergraduate study in liturgical music and related fields.

The Jubilate Deo Award was given to Sister Kathleen Hughes, RSCJ, for her leadership, scholarship, teaching, and advocacy in the movement for liturgical renewal. Sister Kathleen recently completed her term as provincial of the Religious of the Sacred Heart after serving as Associate Professor of Liturgy and Academic Dean at the Catholic Theological Union in Chicago.

Bob Hurd was honored as Pastoral Musician of the Year for creating musical compositions that have helped American Catholics to pray in a variety of languages and musical styles, reflecting the ever-expanding rich cultural diversity of the Church in the United States.

Other honorees at the convention included Father Edward Hislop of Missoula, Montana, as Outstanding Pastor; Sr. Sheila Browne, RSM, of Rockville Centre, New York, as Outstanding NPM Chapter Leader; Mr. Michael Wustrow, also of Rockville Centre, as Outstanding Director of Music Ministries; and Mr. Martin Marklin of Marklin Candle Design for his creative contributions as an industry partner with musicians and other pastoral ministers.

More than 2,100 people gathered for the NPM National Convention. The convention theme, “Hope and Harmony,” was reflected in the various addresses, musical events, and liturgies of the week. The week-long gathering concluded on a note of joyful confidence as convention participants joined in a thunderous rendition of Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus.

If anyone is interested, ICEL has the new translation set to music. It is in traditional, simple plain chant is, in my opinion, far superior than anything that the NPM and the publishing houses can compose.

icelweb.org/musicfolder/openmusic.php

The Gloria, for example, is straight-through. Some priest friends of mine have listened to it and are already chomping at the bit to use the new settings.

And lighting candles, hoping for a miracle that will move up the date of implementation. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.