When do the Persecuted become the Persecutors?

On September 21, there is going to be a black mass held at the Oklahoma City Civic Center. While the organizers had been in possession of what they claimed was a consecrated Host, they have since delivered it into the hands of the local Catholic diocese. The event is scheduled to go on as planned, without (I hope) a replacement consecrated Host.

Still, I recently signed a petition asking Civic Center officials to cancel the event on the grounds that it is offensive to Catholics and a mockery of our sacred liturgy. A friend of mine completely berated me for this and called me a hypocrite for signing the petition. He says that Catholics and other Christians are always claiming freedom of religion, and should allow the same right to other groups. He said that I’m ignoring the teachings of Jesus, and that this Black Mass might be an opportunity given to us by God to show patience and love and forgiveness, and went on to quote Mt 5:44.

I didn’t know how to respond to this. I don’t know if I am just afraid to admit I’m wrong, or is there something I’m missing? Is it wrong to try and force an end to an event just because I disagree with it? Would it be best just to ignore these kinds of things that are obviously created just to get a rise out of the Church?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

First, I don’t believe its wrong or hypocritical to sign the petition. Yes, we want to support freedom of religion, but we are also well within our rights to request something so blasphemous be cancelled due to our freedom of speech.

Recognize that we are actually very tolerant of this - go to the other side of the planet and plan a similar level of blasphemy like this against Islam, and do you think they’re going to do petitions (and a lawsuit to get the consecrated host back)??? Much more likely they’re going to send a mob to behead, kill, bomb, or what not, those who participate in it, those who ran advertising for it, the staff at the facility that hosted it, and even those who didn’t publically condemn it (or condemn it loud enough), as well as all of their immediate family.

Ultimately, the odds of the event getting cancelled are pretty slim due to the freedom of religion standard. With the theft of a consecrated host, a legal crime has definitely been committed (theft or obtaining an item under false pretenses). But, in our country, there is no Constitutional right to not be offended. The government likely can’t prevent them from hosting their black mass, just like they couldn’t prevent that pastor in Florida from having a Koran burning party. That doesn’t mean people have to like it, and we have the right to use any legal means to prevent it (like a petition drive asking for the event to be cancelled).

Bottom line: they have a right to hold it, and we have a right to raise a stink about it.

They absolutely do not have a right. Its nothing more than hatred disguised as religion.

It’s not against the law to hate. If this group has paid to use the facility and are going to use it for something that is legal, (using a stolen host in their ceremony is illegal) then they are within their rights to do what they have planned. Just like the previous poster said, though, we have the right to raise a stink about it, and we probably should.

Its not against the civil law sure, but the civil law does not confer rights.

We’re called not to sign petitions, but offer prayers of petition.

When the injustice in the world gets to be overwhelming, use Philippians 4:6-7 to comfort and guide you:

6 Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.

7 Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Peace and all Good!

Does civil law not confer the right to vote? Does civil law revoke that right under certain circumstances? I am sickened by the thought of a “black mass” just like everyone else, but since they paid (assuming) to use the facility and won’t break any laws while doing what they plan, then they have the right to be there. If the bishop of that area wanted to hold a mass there, he could, so long as he followed the guidelines set forth by the venue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.