When do we bow at mass?

=AJB328;11754877]When I was in RCIA the lady who led it said, “Years ago people used to genuflect, but we’ve gotten past that now.”

The other RCIA teachers politely told us that they all genuflected and it’s the preferred way of showing respect. I went to Mass after class with this woman and took special notice of who genuflected, bowed, etc. (rough estimate) about 150 genuflected 25 bowed, 1 did nothing (that was the RCIA leader.)

I bring this up for two reasons:

1. in matters like these it’s always best to get an answer from several sources.
  1. (unrelated to this thread) The head of an RCIA program should really be screened.

And shes IS WRONG!

In a previous POST in this string I posted the current; valid, licit and binding RULES. Do yourself a favor and check what I posted.:slight_smile:

two issues: is the Tabernacle in the front of the Church? [Even when not if ine is in the Eucharistic chapel genuflection is mandated]. It is after of GOD IN PERSON:thumbsup:
Is One physically ABLE to genuflect.

I really think that it is time for someone who is familiar with postures during the Liturgy (Mass) to jump in and say what sign of reverence the RCIA should do when exiting the Church after being dismissed with the group. Otherwise some of the posts, such as one that says genuflection is mandated, may be confusing to the readers.

=zab;11756984]I really think that it is time for someone who is familiar with postures during the Liturgy (Mass) to jump in and say what sign of reverence the RCIA should do when exiting the Church after being dismissed with the group. Otherwise some of the posts, such as one that says genuflection is mandated, may be confusing to the readers.

I co-taught RCIA for 3 years/ there were 4 of us who term alternating Lessons. . of us were what this Forum might call Traditional and 2 not so much so.

When we were in church I LED BY PERSONAL example: I genuflected [in a conspicuous manner; I might add] :slight_smile: But the Older LEAD teacher said it was not necessary because they weren’t catholics yet. [They [the other 2 teachers] were and didn’t either]:o

BUT friend it IS God:thumbsup: Does He not deserve this respect?

Let us pray!

If you want to genuflect that is up to you. However, I think you should not expect that of others or imply that others, in this case the RCIA who are being dismissed, should do at that time. I don’t know why you don’t want to listen to what the LEAD teacher is telling you. As I understand it, a bow, if anything, would be more appropriate at that time than a genuflection.

=zab;11757641]If you want to genuflect that is up to you. However, I think you should not expect that of others or imply that others, in this case the RCIA who are being dismissed, should do at that time. I don’t know why you don’t want to listen to what the LEAD teacher is telling you. As I understand it, a bow, if anything, would be more appropriate at that time than a genuflection.

HERES WHY MY FRIEND FROM POST #12
FROM THE GRIM
GENERAL INSTRUCTION OF THE ROMAN MISSAL
"
Genuflections And Bows

1. Three genuflections are made during Mass: after the showing of the eucharistic bread, after the showing of the chalice, and before communion.

If there is a tabernacle with the blessed sacrament in the sanctuary, a genuflection is made before and after Mass and whenever anyone passes in front of the blessed sacrament.

1. There are two kinds of bow, a bow of the head and a bow of the body:

a. A bow of the head is made when the three divine Persons are named together and at the name of Jesus, Mary and the saint in whose honor Mass is celebrated.

b. A bow of the body, or profound bow, is made: toward the altar if there is no tabernacle with the blessed sacrament; during the prayers, “Almighty God, cleanse” and “Lord God, we ask you to receive”; within the profession of faith at the words, “by the power of the Holy Spirit”; in Eucharistic Prayer I (Roman Canon) at the words, “Almighty God, we pray.”

The same kind of bow is made by the deacon when he asks the blessing before the gospel. I

As a FYI
The GRIM carries the same weight of authority as does the Code of Canon Law.

It’s NOT a personal option

It is Our GOD:thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Patrick

Why did you quote part of the GIRM but not the rest?

I gave the whole thing in post #10 including this:

If, however, the tabernacle with the Most Blessed Sacrament is situated in the sanctuary, the Priest, the Deacon, and the other ministers genuflect when they approach the altar and when they depart from it,** but not during the celebration of Mass itself.

**Otherwise, all who pass before the Most Blessed Sacrament genuflect, unless they are moving in procession.

A dismissal is a procession that happens during Mass.

I wonder if you have an earlier version of the GIRM. The current one is on the US bishops’ web site at usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/

For the Latin Church:

One genuflects to the tabernacle (with the Eucharist in it) or else one bows to the altar. (GIRM 274)

When the priest announces the Gospel, trace a cross with the thumb on head, lips and heart. (GIRM 134)

Stand after the priest says “Pray brethren that our sacrifice…” (GIRM 146)

The congregation …] kneel[s] for the entire Eucharistic Prayer. - In the US, yes

Kneel at the end of the Agnus Dei (“Lamb of God…”). - In certain dioceses of the US where the bishop has not decided otherwise.

Make a gesture of reverence as you approach the priest in procession to receive Communion. If you are kneeling at the Communion rail, no additional gesture is made before receiving. (GIRM 160; Inaestimabile Donum 11)

*** Strike your breast at the “mea culpa(s)” in the Confiteor. (Rubric in the Roman Missal; not listed in the GIRM.)
*** Bow your head at every mention of the name of Jesus (GIRM 275)
*** One should, bow the head at the invocation of the Trinity, cf. GIRM 275.

GIRM 275. A bow signifies reverence and honor shown to the persons themselves or to the signs that represent them. There are two kinds of bow: a bow of the head and a bow of the body.

a) A bow of the head is made when

• the three Divine Persons are named together and
  • at the names of Jesus, of
  • the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of
  • the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated.

b) A bow of the body, that is to say, a profound bow, is made to the altar;
C = Celebrant, D = Deacon

• (C/D) during the prayers Munda cor meum (Cleanse my heart) and
  • © In spiritu humilitatis (With humble spirit);
  • (All) in the Creed at the words et incarnatus est (and by the Holy Spirit . . . and became man);
  • © in the Roman Canon at the Supplices te rogamus (In humble prayer we ask you, almighty God).

The same kind of bow is made by the Deacon when he asks for a blessing before the proclamation of the Gospel. In addition, the Priest bows slightly as he pronounces the words of the Lord at the Consecration.

GIRM 137. The Symbol or Creed is sung or recited by the Priest together with the people (cf. no. 68) with everyone standing. At the words et incarnatus est, etc. (and by the Holy Spirit . . . and became man) all make a profound bow; but on the Solemnities of the Annunciation and of the Nativity of the Lord, all genuflect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.