When do you commit sensuality?

When does a person commit sensuality? I have done my research and come to conclusion that sensuality is over indulgence or over devotion to sensual pleasure. But when does that sensual pleasure like watching a movie become sensuality? Im asking this becasue im going to holiday in a couple of days and i REALLY need this answer. Holidays are mostly about pleasure and relax and i would like to swim,play video games,watch movies,listen to music,... all day(of curse i would include prayer) and these things are all sensual pleasures. So i need to know what to do and where to "draw the line" so i wouldn't commit sensuality. Please help.

What do you mean “Committing sensuality?” Sensuality is, specifically, anything which appeals to the senses. Our society tends to apply this to things that are sexual in nature, but this is really a mistake. There is nothing wrong, as far as I’m aware, with sensuous things; a bouquet of flowers is sensual to smell, a good piece of fruit or candy is sensual to taste, and a beautiful woman is sensual to see.

You don’t start running into problems until you take it beyond sensuous.

A piece of candy is sensual, so you eat a whole whole lot of it (gluttony)
A woman is beautiful so you fantasize about her (lust)

Sensuality is not immoral, and is, in fact very important within a marital relationship.

I fail to understand your question. I can’t see any sensualyti in video-games, for example.

What I am thinking is that you want to know how much you can enjoy before it become gluttony. If that is what you are thinking about, and pardon if I did understand your question wrong, I think you can play video-games, or football or soccer the whole day and it is not a sin. There is nothing sinful in innocent fun. But don’t forget your dayli prayers.

This.

We are not required to deprive any of our senses, although some ascetics may choose to. (Key word: choose.) Sensuality is not a sin in itself.

The problem comes when one devotes their life - or a good part of it - to just pleasing and indulging in sensual pleasure. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the visual pleasure of a pretty sunset, or the sensual pleasure of a chocolate chip cookie. But we're not here to devote our lives to pleasure.

[quote="Timi_Celcer, post:1, topic:329964"]
When does a person commit sensuality? I have done my research and come to conclusion that sensuality is over indulgence or over devotion to sensual pleasure. But when does that sensual pleasure like watching a movie become sensuality? Im asking this becasue im going to holiday in a couple of days and i REALLY need this answer. Holidays are mostly about pleasure and relax and i would like to swim,play video games,watch movies,listen to music,... all day(of curse i would include prayer) and these things are all sensual pleasures. So i need to know what to do and where to "draw the line" so i wouldn't commit sensuality. Please help.

[/quote]

You are being extremely scrupulous. We are talking about your vacation (I mean holidays, we call it vacation here), if you could not partake in these innocent activities on your holidays, when could you? Do your best to relax and let this go, you're not doing anything wrong.

This bit from the Catechism of the Catholic Church may be helpful:

Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods. It ensures the will’s mastery over instincts and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable. The temperate person directs the sensitive appetites toward what is good and maintains a healthy discretion
(fragment taken from paragraph 1809)

Moderation. Balance. Remember to love God and love your neighbor. Now please enjoy your vacation… er, holidays!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.