When Do You Prefer To Receive Ashes?

If you had a choice, when would you prefer to receive ashes?

Ash Wednesday. It’s all in the name :thumbsup:

I’m not sure of the Liturgical rules on this, but to me all Sundays are feast days. On the other hand Ashes are a sign of penance. It is my thought that one should not fast or do penance at a feast; thus ashes on Sunday are a clash of symbols.

I’m conflicted about Ash Wednesday. I suppose I don’t understand it as well as I ought to. I get the ashes, but I’m vain and I don’t like the ashes on my forehead. I do love to profess my faith publicly in various ways, but ashes on the forehead is not one of those ways. Bear in mind, I’m 21 years old and I’m on a college campus.

Jamie

P.S. Are we obligated as Catholics to get the ashes?

[quote=nohself]Are we obligated as Catholics to get the ashes?
[/quote]

No. We are not obligated to get ashes. As for me, I do not get them. In fact, I usually do not even go to Mass on Ash Wednesday.

PF

This poll makes no sense. Since when are ashes distributed at any time other than Ash Weds.?

[quote=rcn]This poll makes no sense. Since when are ashes distributed at any time other than Ash Weds.?
[/quote]

Our priest mixes the ashes with communion wafers and feeds them to us throughout Lent. He says it helps remind us that most people in the world have to eat dirt, unlike us privileged, spoiled Americans. “If only we had an equitable tax policy, we’d truly be living the Gospel!” is his constant reminder.

I brought in “Fat Tuesday Bagels” to work today. This was to prompt questions on Lent and remind the Catholics that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and Lent begins on Thursday. Yes, technically it does begin on Thursday. Some of the responses were “Do Mormons do Lent also?” "What other churches do Lent? "“My husband does the Catholic things in my household.” So tomorrow I expect the “do you know that you have dirt on your forehead?”-type questions. All good.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Our priest mixes the ashes with communion wafers and feeds them to us throughout Lent. He says it helps remind us that most people in the world have to eat dirt, unlike us privileged, spoiled Americans. “If only we had an equitable tax policy, we’d truly be living the Gospel!” is his constant reminder.
[/quote]

You have to be kidding. Right? Is your priest a Catholic priest? Can he be truly sane and at the same time mix ashes with the matter for Holy Eucharist? The Holy Eucharist would be invalid if he mixed them prior to the attempted consecration. If he mixed them afterwards it would be valid but highly ilicit and perhaps a sacreligious act.

[quote=pazdziernik]You have to be kidding. Right? Is your priest a Catholic priest? Can he be truly sane and at the same time mix ashes with the matter for Holy Eucharist? The Holy Eucharist would be invalid if he mixed them prior to the attempted consecration. If he mixed them afterwards it would be valid but highly ilicit and perhaps a sacreligious act.
[/quote]

Kidding? HA! Then there was the time he whacked me upside the head with the Sacramentary when I questioned his decision to use Peter Paul & Mary’s “Leaving on a Jet Plane” as the recessional hymn on the Feast of the Ascesion. “Do not quench the Spirit!” he shouted and would’ve further assaulted me had he not become distracted by the beautiful new abstract felt wall hanging we had recently installed in the church.

I like to get them in the morning on Ash Wednesday, but sometimes have trouble doing so. I start work at 6:30 a.m., so if I can’t get a break to go get ashes I go to mass at night. Our parish has a 7 p.m. mass.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Kidding? HA! Then there was the time he whacked me upside the head with the Sacramentary when I questioned his decision to use Peter Paul & Mary’s “Leaving on a Jet Plane” as the recessional hymn on the Feast of the Ascesion. “Do not quench the Spirit!” he shouted and would’ve further assaulted me had he not become distracted by the beautiful new abstract felt wall hanging we had recently installed in the church.
[/quote]

Does you Bishop know of these irregularities? I would write him a polite letter and tell him what is going on.

Well, I participated in 7:30am mass and wore my ashes all day. I got the usual reactions: “Dude do you know that you have a big smudge on your forehead?” (Yeah. It’s Ash Wednesday") “What did you do to your forehead?” (To which the “biker guy” in my office replied in my defense “It’s Ash Wednesday don’t you know!” to which I replied “Culture. culture.”; To which the “biker guy” echoed “Right on culture culture!”) The girl in Einsteins where I went for lunch exclaimed “I forgot that it was Ash Wednesday.”

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Kidding? HA! Then there was the time he whacked me upside the head with the Sacramentary when I questioned his decision to use Peter Paul & Mary’s “Leaving on a Jet Plane” as the recessional hymn on the Feast of the Ascesion. “Do not quench the Spirit!” he shouted and would’ve further assaulted me had he not become distracted by the beautiful new abstract felt wall hanging we had recently installed in the church.
[/quote]

Me thinks Dr. Bombay is a troll and will soon be suspended.

[quote=Lance]Does you Bishop know of these irregularities? I would write him a polite letter and tell him what is going on.
[/quote]

Last time I approached the Bishop about liturgical abuses, he poked me in the gut with his crozier, causing me to fall backwards into the Sacred Jacuzzi (Pardon me. Baptismal Font. My bad.) all the while screaming, “You have defiled our Worship Space with your pre-Vatican II thinking. Do not quench the Spirit!” Luckily, the diocesan music director chose just that moment to begin his beautiful piano rendition of “Bread for the World” which distracted His Emminence long enough for me to make good my escape.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.