When Do You Receive the Holy Spirit?

As a cradle Catholic, I’ve always been taught that you receive the Holy Spirit when you are baptized (you become His temple) and are sealed with His 7 gifts when you receive Confirmation. Recently, a non-denominational charasmatic family member challenged my spouse and I on it. He and his congregation refuse to believe that you have the Holy Spirit unless you manifest a charism gift. I think what confuses believers are the terms in the Bible like “Baptism of the Holy Spirit” vs. “Filled with the Holy Spirit.” What would be the Catholic response to that error when the individuals do not believe in the Church’s interpretation authority on the Bible or the full 7 Sacraments?

The following links should help give you the information you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Infant Baptism
*]Early Teachings on Infant Baptism
]Baptismal Grace (Fathers)
]Born Again in Baptism (Fathers)
*]Do we receive the Holy Spirit in baptism?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.