When do you say the Act of Contrition?

This may be a little strange, but please bear with me. I am a new Catholic and have only been to confession a handful of times. At the parish where I attended when I came into the Church, the priest would, during the Confession, say, “Let’s say the Act of Contrition together” or “Say the Act of Contrition.” Then he would give absolution. I have moved to a new area and I went to confession and this priest did not do that. After my confession, he gave penance then immediately gave absolution. I felt very awkward, because to me, that has always been the sign that confession was over. I went ahead and said it after absolution but, as I said, felt very awkward. When is it supposed to be said?

In our area we say it after we have confessed our sins, and after the priest gives a short talk or guidance on the sins I’ve committed and gives me my penance.

He then asks me to speak (in my own words or say the official) Act of Contrition. He then says the words of absolution, and tells me to go in peace.

My Priest has me say it after I make my confession.

[quote=aterrell]This may be a little strange, but please bear with me. I am a new Catholic and have only been to confession a handful of times. At the parish where I attended when I came into the Church, the priest would, during the Confession, say, “Let’s say the Act of Contrition together” or “Say the Act of Contrition.” Then he would give absolution. I have moved to a new area and I went to confession and this priest did not do that. After my confession, he gave penance then immediately gave absolution. I felt very awkward, because to me, that has always been the sign that confession was over. I went ahead and said it after absolution but, as I said, felt very awkward. When is it supposed to be said?
[/quote]

Ask your new priest why he is not having you say the act of contrition. This happened at our parish with a new priest. I asked him why the act of contrition was being ommitted. He said people don’t seem to know it off by heart. I offered to print up a copy and now it is taped in the confessional. Now he has everyone say it.

[quote=Shiann]In our area we say it after we have confessed our sins, and after the priest gives a short talk or guidance on the sins I’ve committed and gives me my penance.

He then asks me to speak (in my own words or say the official) Act of Contrition. He then says the words of absolution, and tells me to go in peace.
[/quote]

This is precisely what happens at my parish.

There actually is a printed copy of the Act of Contrition in this confessional. It was just strange. I don’t think there would have been time for me to say it after his words of advice and assignment of penance. He just went straight into the absolution. After that, I was kind of like “uhhh… do I say the Act of Contrition now?” I felt so silly!

So do all of you say it spontaneously or does the priest direct you to say it?

He closes his “comments” by asking me to say an act of contrition in my own words- or use the “official” prayer.

" …now please offer God the Act of Contrition, or in your own words."

(The act of contrition is taped to the confessional kneeler).

When I’m finished,

“God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins;
Through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

I think that is one of the most beautiful prayers in our Church! Brings tears to my eyes even now…

Here’s more info for you if you are interested…

wf-f.org/Confession-Penance.html

I have had this happen.

Sometimes I have noticed that during the course of my confession I blurb out my contrition and sorrow for the sins, within the confession. I think the priest may recognize this.
Still, I try to say the AoC before I leave the confessional.

Then there were the Irish priests I knew in one parish, who, in their ever-present attempts to keep things moving along expeditiously, would direct the penitent to say his act of contrition in the pew afterward. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.