When Do You Think The New English Mass Translation Will Be Implemented in Your Country?

Given the state of the church today, when do you think that the new English Mass translations will be put into general use in your country? The earliest I have ever heard was possibly 2009, so I put that as the earliest choice. State your reasons why in the comments.

just a question: :stuck_out_tongue: Where can I get a copy of the new Mass translation?

Once it is approved, it probably with be available through the US Council of Catholic bishops. Their website is usccb.org

I voted 6-10 years because I have a feeling that the USCCB will drag its feet over this. However, there are many good bishops and Pope Benedict has the opportunity to appoint many more good ones so I have hope that perhaps we will see improvement in the USCCB…

Although, if enough lay people demand the new translation the bishops may be persuaded to put it to use as quickly as possible.

Make sure to be in contact with your bishop!

Taking into account the practical details of the change from one text of the Mass to another, I would guess it would take about three years. This in the UK, where there are three Episcopal Conferences, for:

[LIST]
*]England & Wales
*]Scotland
*]Ireland (which is a single province of the CC, though divided politically)[/LIST]Last time round, the US bishops had a certain amount of indirect influence on which English text Rome approved for the UK - the US tends to make the running at Rome, simply because it is far larger :slight_smile: That was before the Web. Web or no, US Catholicism has a strong influence on that in the UK. The US CC is ten times larger than that in the UK, apart from anything else :slight_smile:

The arrival of the Web may hasten the process of change or delay it.

Excuse me! For I must have been asleep for last few weeks or months:o What new English Mass translation are you good folks talking about?

newmasstexts.blogspot.com/

You can find the new translation at this link.

It was voted on and approved by the US bishops last summer.

But it has not yet received the recognitio by the Vatican, presumably because the bishops proposed 60 or so amendments. In any case, there was heavy pressure from the Vatican to approve. But the rumors seemed to indicate that in exchange for approval, the bishops would get wide latitude in implementation. Most bishops are still reportedly not enthusiastic about the changes. That could lead one to believe that there will be many bureaucratic manuvers to delay implementation as long as possible.

I had heard that the new translation is closer to the Latin… is this correct?
I noticed the “through my fault, through my fault,through my most grievous fault.” which seems to be closer, or maybe I am just not versed enough in the Latin Mass to know, lol.
Are other changes going to be made, as well? Like, I dunno… kneeling after communion?
And would this make the NO the Neo-Nuvos Ordo? (And I pretty sure most of that is spelled wrong…)

Yes it is closer to the original Latin. That is the intent of the 2001 Vatican document Liturgicam Authenticam (LA) which now governs translations. A lot of the Neo-Novus Ordo as you call it is very similar to the Missal of 1965, which was the first transitional one from the Traditional Latin Mass and the first in the vernacular. So if one was old enough to remember the responses from 1965 to 1970 this translation will be very familiar.

The 1970 Roman Missal English translations (which we are still using by the way) was based on a linguistic concept called dynamic equivalence. This is just a fancy term for paraphasing.

There was never an English translation of the 1975 Roman Missal. The Internation Commission of English in the Liturgy (ICEL) worked on it for over 20 years I believe. It got so radical, that the Vatican never realistically considered approving it. It had to be scrapped. ICEL was restructured and they started all over again when the 2002 Roman Missal came out according to the principals of LA. The 2002 Roman Missal is used when the Mass is celebrated in Latin say like by the Pope.

In 2006 all of the English speaking bishops approved the new translation of the ordinary of the Mass, but the propers of the Mass are still being translated. Whether the Mass translation is implemented before or after the propers are approved is the big question. But as one can see from the 1975 version, things can get overcome by events before all is complete. So who knows what will happen to the new translation as time drags on with no implementation.

What are you talking about? We already kneel after Communion. We kneel from the time we receive until the priest finishes cleaning the vessels. When he sits in his chair, we in the pews go from kneeling to sitting.

And, yes, this is at a NO Mass.

Nope. We got some letter telling us to stand after we receive Communion until everyone has received. And everyone stands and kind of shuffles to the front of the pew to go receive. I know we kneel for the consecration, but that’s about it.
Oh yeah, and no one genuflects during the Creed

Thanks, Asperges Me, I did not know of this & I really don’t know what to think about it. Sad to say, but I was away from the Church for several years & only returned upon JP II’s (the Great) death.:crying:

PatienceAndLove, we do the same as you, remaining standing till the last person receives & I do not like it! Actually, I just recently stopped kneeing after receiving because I was the only odd ball.:confused:

God bless

I still do it anyway. And sometimes people sit and hit my hands, and then they look at me funny… but that might be the mantilla :smiley:

Yeah! It sure might be the mantilla, I wish more women would wear them.My wife is one of very few ladies who wears a hat. It’s a straw man’s straw hat with a haku lei (Hawaiian lei around the crown) on it. I should go back to kneeing & would if I could get rid of this complex, thinking everyone is looking at me.:frowning:
Mahalo & God bless

EDIT! Sorry I did not see the thread below:
“Stand until everyone has received communion?
Nan S”

I WILL be kneeing from now on!:thumbsup:

God Bless

I would suspect that a “First Sunday of Advent 2009” date is probably the most likely at this point

You did not give the option of 2008 which is when I’m expecting to see at least some changes. My parish music director is a composer and he is already working on new arrangements of the mass parts using the new language. We sang a few works in progress 2 weeks ago so that he could hear how they sounded with a full choir. He also told us to enjoy this go round with the mass parts we have been using for Easter season since he believes they will have changed by next Easter season. Just my corner of TX, but it appears that some folks are moving pretty fast.

I voted never.

While I like some of the new translations, like this one…

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned greatly
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault.

Therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

The Canon is also very nice. The translation is much better and closer to the Latin Canon.

But, there are some gems in there that while I approve of 100%, people will whine that it is “toooo hard”

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only-begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;

Perhaps it will get put in place. Good priests will use it ASAP. However, it will take a full generation for it to take hold everywhere. And to many people, never is closer to that than 20 years.

Don’t mark my words or anything, I might be wrong.

When I asked Very Rev. Fr. Leo Walsh, STL, he said “Not until next year at the earliest.”

THis was about mid-january, 2007.

I voted for 11-20 years. I think it’ll happen eventually- that’s pretty much inevitable- but I think it may take some more bishops retiring, and some newer, younger bishops calling the shots. I also expect to see, in the next 10 years or so, bishops being consecrated at an earlier age. I imagine many of the priests in their mid-30’s will be bishops in 10-15 years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.