When do you usually stay home from Mass?(ill)

Hi everyone,
I am Ill today, and was yesterday as well. I had a runny nose, fever, headache. I was fine in the morning, then my all the symptoms started kicking in, my mom said it could be bacterial/caught it since I was fine in the morning.
We went to a mass yesterday, it was for annointing of the sick, and the line for the people to get annointed has huge, two long lines, and they did the prayer for each person, and I was practically a flowing river of snot (gross sorry) and We left during mass, I felt terrible about it but I also felt sick
Today, Its still runny nose, and now coughing, I believe I am contagious. I am wondering If it would be right to stay home. I also walk to mass. I just feel terrible for missing mass, but I just can't sit there with my nostrils burning, breathing through my mouth, I sound kinda weird...

Would It be okay to stay home today?

I have the same problem...a sinus infection. i am not about to cough on people and blow my nose through mass..I stayed home too. If you're sick, you're sick. Don't sweat it. I hope you feel better soon.

Of course!!!

Did you know that the word Sabbath (שַׁבָּת) meant "day of rest"? Well then, never forget the Lord's word:

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

If you are sick, then you may be unable to go to the Church. Maybe you want to watch the Holy Mass on tv or online, given that (and this is wonderful) you truly feel the need of participating in the Holy Mass on the Day of the Lord (since we are going etymological here, Sunday is, in Latin, "Dominicus dies", the Day of the Lord, which is why we have Domenica in Italian, Domingo in Spanish, Dimanche in French...;) )

As for your not being able to receive the Beloved, have you ever tried the Spiritual Communion? It is truly a wonderful experience.

I pray that you feel better soon.

Thanks. :)
Yes, I stayed home. I feel kind of out of it. And There are alot of elderly people and infants whom I do not wish to get sick. It's not as bad as yesterday but I am stuffy and congested. I just feel.terrible for walking out yesterday and not going today. I haven't missed mass since January.

[quote="R_C, post:3, topic:293317"]
Of course!!!

Did you know that the word Sabbath (שַׁבָּת) meant "day of rest"? Well then, never forget the Lord's word:

If you are sick, then you may be unable to go to the Church. Maybe you want to watch the Holy Mass on tv or online, given that (and this is wonderful) you truly feel the need of participating in the Holy Mass on the Day of the Lord (since we are going etymological here, Sunday is, in Latin, "Dominicus dies", the Day of the Lord, which is why we have Domenica in Italian, Domingo in Spanish, Dimanche in French...;) )

As for your not being able to receive the Beloved, have you ever tried the Spiritual Communion? It is truly a wonderful experience.

I pray that you feel better soon.

[/quote]

What is spiritual communion? Pardon me for what may be a silly question, but I have been away from the church for a very long time, and i never heard of that...

If I'm contagious, vomiting and/or coughing constantly, I stay home. As you said, there are fragile people at church - the elderly, the very young, and the pregnant - whom I'd prefer not to infect. And I'm sure they appreciate that :D

I don't like missing Mass either (I go to Mass Sunday through Friday), but if I'm ill, I'm ill. If I miss a weekday Mass, I recite a Chaplet of the Blessed Sacrament. If I know I'm going to miss Sunday Mass, I call the apostolate (of which I am part) that does home and hospital visits and arrange to have Communion brought to me. Calling early enough in the day on Sunday itself usually means the EMHC, priest or permanent deacon will swing by my humble abode before the end of that day.

There is no need to feel terrible about walking out of yesterday's Mass or missing today's. You were sick. It's a legitimate reason to miss Sunday Mass.

Get well soon! :console:

I think anyone that is contagious ( even if you feel well enough to attend) or feels bad enough to wonder if they should stay at home, should do just that...stay at home! A lot of older folks have weakened immune systems. What may cause you discomfort and a day off work may get them admitted to the hospital. Another thing.... not all workers get paid sick leave or paid time off/vacation), so while their boss may be accommodating to them taking a day or two off work when sick, they may not be able to afford missing a day or two of income. A mom of small children doesn't need unnecessary exposure to an illness either. It's awful when mom's sick and trying to care for a house of sick kids, too. So, bottom line, please stay home and heal instead of running the risk of making others ill, too.

Agree. I stay home when sick or injured. Sometimes weather will do it too. If I have to walk in from the parking lot on a really snowy or icy day before they have the opportunity to clear the lots, I may stay home. I am at risk for serious injury if I fall. I am old, but prefer to get older!

[quote="Maria1993, post:1, topic:293317"]
Hi everyone,
I am Ill today, and was yesterday as well. I had a runny nose, fever, headache. I was fine in the morning, then my all the symptoms started kicking in, my mom said it could be bacterial/caught it since I was fine in the morning.
We went to a mass yesterday, it was for annointing of the sick, and the line for the people to get annointed has huge, two long lines, and they did the prayer for each person, and I was practically a flowing river of snot (gross sorry) and We left during mass, I felt terrible about it but I also felt sick
Today, Its still runny nose, and now coughing, I believe I am contagious. I am wondering If it would be right to stay home. I also walk to mass. I just feel terrible for missing mass, but I just can't sit there with my nostrils burning, breathing through my mouth, I sound kinda weird...

[/quote]

I attend such a church that consist of people who'd fix you an evil glare if you so much as sneezed. I'll go to another church when not feeling great.

Thank you for staying home! The last time I got sick, I got it from a lady who coughed, sneezed, blew her nose through the whole Mass and then grabbed my hand during the kiss of peace. Not cool. :mad:

[quote="Maria1993, post:1, topic:293317"]
Hi everyone,

[/quote]

Please do. I hate it when people come and cough and hack all over me. I try to remember not to do that when I'm sick. You don't to confess or anything if you are sick.

[quote="Angelsflight, post:5, topic:293317"]
What is spiritual communion? Pardon me for what may be a silly question, but I have been away from the church for a very long time, and i never heard of that...

[/quote]

It's not a silly question at all, I had no knowledge of it until not too long ago.

Spiritual Communion is when you desire to receive the Lord but you cannot - whatever the reason may be. You may not be able to attend Mass, or you may be in Mass but not have the proper disposition for partaking in the Communion - ex. knowledge of mortal sins not yet confessed.

St. Thomas Aquinas defines it in a wonderfully short yet effective statement:

(Spiritual Communion is) an ardent desire to receive Jesus in the Holy Sacrament and a loving embrace as though we had already received Him.

The blessed Pope John Paul II wrote about it in the encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia (a wonderful and very instructive document, by the way):

Precisely for this reason it is good to cultivate in our hearts a constant desire for the sacrament of the Eucharist. This was the origin of the practice of "spiritual communion," which has happily been established in the Church for centuries and recommended by saints who were masters of the spiritual life. St. Teresa of Jesus wrote: "When you do not receive communion and you do not attend Mass, you can make a spiritual communion, which is a most beneficial practice; by it the love of God will be greatly impressed on you" [The Way of Perfection, Ch. 35.]

This is the prayer by St. Alphonsus Liguori:

My Jesus, I believe that you are in the Blessed Sacrament.

I love you above all things, and I long for you in my soul.

Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart.

Here we pause and we rest in the Lord's presence, just as if we had received Him in Holy Mass.

As though you have already come, I embrace you and unite myself entirely to you; never permit me to be separated from you.

Amen.

I hope you enjoy this prayer!

[quote="R_C, post:12, topic:293317"]
It's not a silly question at all, I had no knowledge of it until not too long ago.

Spiritual Communion is when you desire to receive the Lord but you cannot - whatever the reason may be. You may not be able to attend Mass, or you may be in Mass but not have the proper disposition for partaking in the Communion - ex. knowledge of mortal sins not yet confessed.

St. Thomas Aquinas defines it in a wonderfully short yet effective statement:

The blessed Pope John Paul II wrote about it in the encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia (a wonderful and very instructive document, by the way):

This is the prayer by St. Alphonsus Liguori:

I hope you enjoy this prayer!

[/quote]

Cool! Thanks for telling me about it. I will try it and see what happens. Thanks again! :)

I agree that she should stay home since she is sick, but try to remember that not everyone who comes to church with a cough, even a severe one, is contagious. I have suffered from a chronic cough for over 10 years now. The cough is caused by acid reflux and I am not contagious, but at times the cough is severe and distracting to others. If I stayed away from church because of this cough, I would not have attended in years. In another scenario, my family has been quite ill in the past two weeks, with a fever and cough. My doctor has assured me that we are not contagious, even though a severe chest cough lingers. In his words: “No, you’re not contagious, but you might want to avoid crowds until the cough is better to avoid dirty looks.” It is good advice to stay home if you’re sick, but it is also important to avoid being judgmental of others and their decisions when we simply don’t know the facts.

You are very welcome! :slight_smile:

I appreciate your desire to go to Mass and your concern for others.

Last weekend I was in the hospital. It was the 1st time I've missed Friday evening and Sunday Mass since a joined the Church 4 months ago. I was in a Catholic hospital. I can't tell you how much I wanted my IV disconnected, throw on some clothes and have someone wheel me to Mass. As sick as I was I really wanted and needed to go to Mass. I could see the beautiful old chapel from my window.

God Bless! I pray you feel better soon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.