When does Easter start?

When does the Melkite Greek Catholic Church celebrate Holy Week and Easter. I myself am confused at when exactly the Melkite Church celebrates Easter, because I’m not sure if they use the Julian calendar like Orthodox or the Gregorian Calendar like Latin Catholics, so any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes

Here in the US the Melkite Church uses the Gregorian calendar. Not sure what’s used in the Middle East.

ZP

0 Likes

All Catholic churches in communion with Rome celebrate Easter together with the Vatican. It’s not location-sensitive.

1 Like

I do not know the actual answer but you have received one from someone I would trust to answer such a question correctly @ziapueblo.

Just out of interest, because they use the Byzantine Rite, wouldn’t the Melkite Greek Catholic Church call Holy Week and Easter Week: Great Week and Bright Week, respectively?

2 Likes

Many Eastern Catholic churches, in the US and elsewhere, use the Julian calendar.

2 Likes

Yes, Bright Week begins on Pascha, continuing up to Thomas Sunday.

ZP

0 Likes

Oh, you must tell me which Sunday is dedicated to me :grin:

2 Likes

Many EO churches also use the Gregorian calendar but not for Easter. I think Easter is also calculated differently, it’s not just the calendar difference.

1 Like

The Revised Julian. Fixed feasts are on the Gregorian calendar and movable feasts are on the Julian.

ZP

4 Likes

Byzantine Holy Week begins on Great and Holy Monday.
https://www.mliles.com/melkite/pascha.shtml

Pascha is 4/21 at St Elias. http://steliasmelkite.org/

1 Like

Father Sebastian is the best!

ZP

0 Likes

I think that I heard that the only Orthodox Church that follows “Western Easter” is in Finland.

Many follow the revised Julian, which uses the same dates as the Gregorian calendar for everything except Pascha and those dates which are dependent on Pascha. Many Eastern Catholic parishes follow the Julian calendar, celebrating Christmas on December 7th, Pascha according to the old calendar, etc.

Easter is calculated the same way under all systems: the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. It is the vernal equinox that is calculated differently by East and West. The East continues to use the traditional formula set by the Council. The west uses a formula for determining the equinox that is more astronomically accurate. I think good arguments can be made for both and would be happy enough to see the west compromise on the side of unity and tradition.

0 Likes

It seems the Melkite Church uses the Gregorian calendar.

0 Likes

From the Melkite website:

THE CALENDAR AND THE CHURCHES

Today there are a number of Churches employing the Julian Calendar including the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the Coptic Orthodox Church, the Eastern Orthodox Churches of Jerusalem, Russia, Serbia, Poland, Macedonia, Georgia and Ukraine, and the Ethiopian Orthodox and Catholic Churches as well as the Assyrian and Greek Old Calendarists. Greek Catholics in Carpathia, Slovakia and Ukraine generally follow the Julian Calendar although most of their parishes in the West follow the Gregorian. The Churches employing the Gregorian Calendar include the Armenian Church, the Church of the East, the Eastern Orthodox Churches of Estonia and Finland, the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church and most Eastern Catholics (Chaldeans, Maronites, etc.). A third group of Churches employ the Mixed (“Revised Julian”) Calendar: the Syriac Orthodox Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, Greece, Cyprus, Romania, Poland and the Orthodox Church in America (although some Polish and OCA parishes are permitted to use either calendar). The Melkite Greek Catholic Church generally follows the Gregorian Calendar. In countries with an Orthodox majority it follows the Mixed (Revised Julian) Calendar.

1 Like

That is not correct.

0 Likes

I always thought that the Church used the revised Julian calendar like it’s counter part the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

0 Likes

I heard that a few years ago the Eastern Catholic Churches actually looked into going to the Revised Julian (I know that many parishes already do this). I also heard Pope Francis has made a comment about the Latin Church should maybe think about using the Revised Julian. I could have heard wrong.

ZP

0 Likes

I think it is because both Good Friday and Easter Monday are national holidays in Finland. The Finnish Orthodox Church in Sweden celebrate Easter next weekend as well and we have the Friday and Monday as holidays.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that any Eastern Catholic churches used the revised Julian calendar. Do you know which jurisdictions?

Edit: The information I already posted mentions that the Melkites follow the revised Julian calendar in majority Orthodox countries. Clearly, I should do a better job of reading my own posts. :rofl:

1 Like

It depends on the location, according to this site: https://www.mliles.com/melkite/paschadateprint.shtml
“Melkites use both the Julian Calendar and the Gregorian Calendar.”

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.