When does gossiping become a mortal sin?

Me and some family members were talking about someone else just now, she has a rather quick tempered personality and can be unreasonable at times and so we were just making a few jokes about the way she speaks sometimes like:

For example, if I was just sitting down drinking coffee for 5 minutes after cleaning the house

‘‘Why are you sitting down? Do you have nothing to do? Go and do some work!’’

And we laugh it off with each other because it’s really funny

But we had no intention of destroying her reputation or giving her a bad image; it was just for good laughs.

Still. Does it count as a mortal sin?

That’s probably something only you can answer with your confessor.
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

It doesn’t sound to me like you meet those conditions.

Do you suffer from scrupulosity at all?
Trust your confessor.

I do not know whether I suffer from scrupulosity but I suspect I do. Will check with my confessor this Sunday. Thanks and God bless :smiley:

Hi OP. From your other posts I can confirm that you do, I am 99% certain, suffer from scrupulosity. I know because I used to suffer from it.

You need to find a priest who understands the issue - not all priests fully understand the affliction. Look up Scrupulosity Anonymous. It’s a great tool.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.