When faith and hope fail

When faith and hope are lost, what do we do?

Have recourse to prayer.

(1) Pray
(2) Call someone - a problem shared is a problem halved
(3) Help someone - when I’m helping you, I can’t think about me

The rosary is especially good for these moments.

Double down. Keep your faith and continue to hope. First and foremost, PRAY! :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

True

Pray for the virtue of fortitude to help get through the dry spells and remember that faith and hope are decisions not feelings. As in deciding to have faith and hope in spite of everything going on.

That’s not the first time you adress these issues OP.
You have another one where you confess that you are in such situation, and I don’t know if it was edited or another one was removed but I do recall you enumerating your problems here.
I would recommend you to find some spiritual and maybe professional help.

Be still and know that He is God! He is greater than you. He knows you better than you know yourself and loves you better than you love yourself. He must increase you must decrease. In other words keep your heart, mind and soul on God and God alone and know there everything else is just everything else.

@ChristMyLife

You still have your third and most powerful spiritual weapon of Charity aka Love.
Double down on that and pray for a return of the other two.

BTW how can you lose Hope? Jesus is our Hope. Have you lost belief in him?

We rely on love.

I had to put my cat down today. I was inconsolable crying

A wonderful triad! The third on the list is charity, which is, after all, the greatest of the three: faith, hope, love.

I’m very sorry for your loss! That must be so hard, I’m praying for you.

I’m sorry you had to say goodbye to your cat friend. I have had to do the same when one of my cats got a fast-spreading cancer. It was awful.
You did the best and most loving thing for your cat, and your cat will always be in your heart.

There is a time for grieving; and then we have to move on. Life is very much like going across monkey bars; in order to move forwards; you have to let go of the past.

Psalm 34;
18 - The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Telling someone this when they have just suffered a loss within the last few days is not helpful. Better to just say, “My condolences on your loss.” This is what I was taught by my mother when I was in high school and had to go out to some wakes and did not know what I should say. Just say you are sorry.

I would add that it’s been a year today since my husband died, and I don’t find this sentiment you wrote to be the least bit helpful to me either, although you didn’t write it to me.

In general you shouldn’t tell people when it’s time for them to stop grieving, or imply to them that we “have to move on”. It’s pretty presumptuous. If they need to be told that, it should come from a spouse, or a close friend, or a priest or a mental health counselor, but in reality most people will gradually stop on their own clock without anyone telling them they have to “let go” or any of that.

:cry: ::hugs: :cry:
Last week the kitty I had brought home to my mom’s, 15 years ago, had to be put to sleep also. I also cried. Got mad at God, mom, the world, the doctors and everything else. I had my last 15 mins with the kitty, he was so lethargic. Clearly on his way. Hadn’t eaten in 3 days, refused to wash and all that. I wasn’t mad at him being put to sleep just because he suffered and I don’t know why since animals don’t do anything wrong. Just plain unfair to see not-guilty life suffering.
Just praying helped. Like reading prayers so I don’t have to think. I know it’s silly for some but my subconscious was bigger than me. That kitty has been sweetest, nicest, softest orange fluff ball that ever existed. I hope we made his life good enough.
His death turned me into a 5 year old. The heart beats the way the heart beats. I asked God if there will be another one of this kitty if I ever go Heaven. I don’t think there will be, I just felt that it won’t so I started to cry.
Your mourning will cease at some point.

Nice kitties and dogs and other companion animals are reflections of God’s love for us. Our God is so wonderful that he even makes animals with teeth and claws who would more logically fear us and fight us because of the harm humans can do them, love us instead.

God takes care of the animals. I leave it up to him how he does it, but he does it. You gave your kitty to Jesus because his earthly body didn’t work any more. Jesus who loves both you and the kitty will take care of everything.

I am very sorry and did not mean to cause any offense, but we deal with death in different ways. I quoted Psalm 34 because our true peace is in trusting our Lord.

Psalm 34;
18 - The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

I watched helplessly as my mum died slowly over a period of thirty years. She lost the use of both legs and both hands to multiple sclerosis. I watched helplessly as my dad died an alcoholic; I have grieved many times in the last few years for family and friends.

We share in each other’s sorrow, but in reality there seems little we can do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.