When good protestants die and are in purgatory, will they understand where they are?

When good protestants die and find themselves in purgatory (but they knew nothing about purgatory in their earthly life), will they understand where they are and what is happening?

Remember, there is no basis for believing we will automatically acquire spiritual insight simply because we die.

good question!:smiley:

i don’t know.

well if they don’t have immediate awareness, maybe they’d meet a bad catholic and they would explain it to them?

[quote=speedy5]well if they don’t have immediate awareness, maybe they’d meet a bad catholic and they would explain it to them?
[/quote]

My idea of purgatory has always been that we are isolated there (like solitary confinement).

oh. i didn’t know. i’m new to catholicism.

Being a sinner myself, while i am there and if they dont understand where they are at, I will try to explain to themtat this is the place that doesn’t exist:D

[quote=speedy5]oh. i didn’t know. i’m new to catholicism.
[/quote]

That’s fine (and welcome, BTW). The Church has never defined exactly what purgatory is like, so there’s no way to know whether we will have contact with other souls there. My own idea is that its a lonely place, but you could just as easily be correct that we will have contact with others.

Oh i always viewed purgatory as a classroom type atmosphere where people are being corrected. kind of like a detention or study hall. but i could be wrong

i have read larry niven/jerry pournelle inferno. t have tried dante, but poetry doesn’t connect for me. may be some day.

i have known protestants that i can’t possible believe go to hell. super good people.

i have known catholics that might very well have already lost their souls.

i think Our Lord said “by it’s fruit shall a tree be known”

'nuff said.

[quote=DavidFilmer]Remember, there is no basis for believing we will automatically acquire spiritual insight simply because we die.
[/quote]

Aquinas says at the moment of death we come face to face with God for the particular judgement, and will be infused with all the knowledge and insight we need to know our sins, know what our relationship with God should be and could be, and to make our definitive choice for or against God for all eternity. Those who choose God will be given the beautiful, merciful opportunity for cleansing of the effects of sin (previously forgiven but leaving its damaging residue) upon their souls before being admitted to the Beatific Vision.

It is a very good idea, especially for new poster on the forums, to consult the CA homepage for tracts, This Rock articles, and FAQs before asking or discussing the common apologetics questions: purgatory, the papacy, Mary, saints, justification and salvation etc.

What if you are in Purgatory and you believe it’s hell? Oh my Dear Lord that would be awful! I wonder what it’s like? Is there physical pain or emotional pain such as a pain of loss?

Do any of you think that many go directly to heaven after they die and not purgatory but the Church does not know of them? I strive to become as holy as I can by the Grace of God. I want to hate every kind of sin with a super hatred and passion. I have stopped whatching alot of tv lately because it’s so “dirty” if you know what I mean. Every show lately will have a pro homosexuality, little respect for life, cursing up to high heaven, SENSLESS violence, and the girls on tv, well lets just say they need to put on some clothes:)

Of course. They’re saints. The Church admits not knowing who all the saints are. That’s why we celebrate All Saints’ Day, for all the ones we missed.

No soul leaves this world unnoticed by the angels, whether of God or demons.Just as the eternally damned who enter hell will immediately know they are in hell, because they will be surrounded by demons, so to will those in purgatory know that they are undergoing a purging in fire for their sins. For there God’s angels will be watching over the saints to be.

We all are appointed angels to watch over us since the day of our inception and they will be there when our soul leaves our bodies at death. I personally believe this purging of fire will not last as long as some believe. We do not know really the goings on on the other side of death's door. For we have never been there and returned.

But as St Augustine urges us all. Seek repentance for all your sins IN THIS LIFE and do penance that your purging will not be so grievous. Take SERIOUSLY your Catholic faith and fear God, for we shall all be judged for our works at the moment of death. I tremble within me at times, when I know I sinned during a passing of a day and I am quick to fall on my knees and confess it before Christ or before my priest.

Purgatory is for our benifit, so that we can come into the glory of God’s presence. If God wanted he could send all us less then perfect creatures straight to hell, but he doesn’t. He created a place to prepare us for heaven. When you consider the alternative, hell, then purgatory seems pretty compassionate and merciful. It wouldn’t make any sense for the Prot. not to know that they are in purgatory, how would that make them ready for heaven?

The Right Rev. G. P. Dwyer says this about the holy souls:

[quote]
"They no longer desire anything but God. And yet they cannot reach Him until their debt is paid. The sufferings of the holy souls spring from this double source – longing for God, the realization of sin.

“On earth we can turn to a hundred things to distract the mind, to muffle the cry of the heart. These escapes are denied the holy souls. Their focus is set on God and God alone! They see themselves as they really are. They see how unfit they are to go to God. They see clearly their sins were an offense against God. They realize at last the malice of sin.”

Redemptorists Maruice Becque and Luise Becque, in Life After Death, also write:

"These souls are waiting for God. They see Him better than they did on earth and are aspiring to contemplate Him in the full light of the beatific vision. They are happy at being saved, unhappy at being held back and having to delay. Freed from the burden of matter, they are … All to God, all in God, all for God.

"

Susan Tassone, Thirty-Day Devotions for the Holy Souls, Nihil Obstat, Imprimatur

[/quote]

Good Protestants? Is there such a thing? :wink:

(I know, I know…an old joke but someone had to say it)

Protestants spend an enourmously long time in Purgatory because they don’t pray for the dead.
Purgatory to me is like a cleansing that is indeed painful with suffering but with the knowledge that we are saved and will go to Heaven. Yeah!:slight_smile:
Prayer and offering our sufferings up for our loved ones who have died so they can go to Heaven speeds things up for them.

Always pray for the Souls in Purgatory and then they will also be there for you.

Part of their sentence is to have to listen to some of us, less than perfect Catholics razing them with " I told you so". :stuck_out_tongue:

All any protestant has to do is read the Bible to know there is a Purgatory. However, I know many have had blinders put on them PLUS they dont’ have the complete Bible to draw from.

That said, I do believe that they will become informed when they get to Purgatory (if that is where they go)

God Bless,
Donna

[quote=Kyenta]Protestants spend an enourmously long time in Purgatory because they don’t pray for the dead.
Purgatory to me is like a cleansing that is indeed painful with suffering but with the knowledge that we are saved and will go to Heaven. Yeah!:slight_smile:
Prayer and offering our sufferings up for our loved ones who have died so they can go to Heaven speeds things up for them.

Always pray for the Souls in Purgatory and then they will also be there for you.
[/quote]

speeds things up? how do you know that?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.