When I haven't contributed to the Church, do I have to pay back all those lost payments?

When I haven’t contributed to the Church, do I have to pay back all those lost payments?

Is there any premium put on such payments to compensate for lost payments?

:confused:

What “payments”?

The Church is not a club where you have to pay for membership.

Hence NO. Even if you never give a dime to the Church, no one is going to ask you for ‘back payments’.

Donations are welcome, of course, but you do not have to pay to go to church. It depends on your own conscience.
Offerings people give during mass: those are voluntary as well.

On the other hand if your local church offers some service (i.e. courses, trips, etc) under some compensation, in that case you have to pay, since those services carry significan expenses. But that’s a different story.

Doesn’t the Church command that you pay it? Granted it is ambiguous when you pay it but nonetheless I pay it every week but sometimes you forget. So of course, my conscience tells me to make back-pay. Is that required in my case?

how many replies of " no " will suffice ?

Forward the money to me and I will take care of it for you.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

Talk to your pastor about this. If you are well off financially and have not been contributing to the Church, you could make a gift. I suspect, however, that you are just worrying and being scrupulous.

Absolutely not.

However, it does make sense to contribute as you can. If you do so on a schedule that represents how much you think you should contribute, and if you fall behind on that schedule and want to catch up, that may be admirable, but it’s entirely voluntary. As was the schedule in the first place.

We do not have tithes in the church. But nevertheless, the church welcomes contributions both monetary and in service. :slight_smile:

Certainly not, in no way at all. The Church does ask, that out of the charity of our heart, we give what we can but only if we choose. There is not an obligation, and the only place an obligation lies is that we go to Mass and pray outside the Mass. We are to give alms, but to the poor or the Church. With that said, some dioceses ask that during the collection at Mass or after Mass, you give a nice sum, but even then it’s completely optional. The Church is paid by souls entering into Heaven. Money is not a matter, it is the souls who enter Heaven and the Saints who pray for us that cannot be priced.

Always remember this lesson: [BIBLEDRB]Mark 12:41-44[/BIBLEDRB]

Actually, we are obliged to support the Church. It is one of the precepts of the faith (ie a minimum requirement).

From the catechism: The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.

The OP should discuss this matter with his spiritual director or pastor. We each give according to our own ability and there are no hard and fast rules. If you are wealthy and have failed in your obligation, then making up for it in some way may be warranted. But for ordinary people who struggle with money anyway, it is a matter of prudence.

Support the Church as we can yes (monetarily or not as we are able), but there isn’t an obligated payment schedule that we have to catch up with if we miss. Which isn’t to say that such isn’t a good thing, if we can, only that it’s not obligatory.

This is completely wrong. We are not only asked to give. It is a precept of the Church that we are to support the material needs of the Chirch according to our responsibility. Just as we are to attend mass on Sunday.

"2041 The precepts of the Church are set in the context of a moral life bound to and nourished by liturgical life. The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is meant to guarantee to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor:
" from the CCC

To the OP question, IF you have not made contributions despite an ability to, I would say you should confess it, but making up back payment? I don’t know. If we miss mass on Sunday, we don’t have to go to extra daily masses to catch up, we have to confess the sin. Now, the priest can apply a penance to go to an extra mass or 2, but this is rarely done. So I would leave the penance up to the priest.

But your obvious feeling of needing to do something could very well be correct.

No one likes to hear it: but ignoring the material needs of the Church is grave matter IMO.

Re-read that. “The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is meant to guarantee to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbour”. Of course as humans we are not to be selfish, and are to always be sure that, as members of the Church, she is never in need.

It is only ever possible to give according to our own responsibility.The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability..

That post was meant to address the OP as to wether he should pay back the debt. There isn’t an obligation. If we cannot help the Church monetarily we should do so though giving our service. You misread my post.

LoyalViews, I sorry, I should have been more specific about which part of your post was wrong, Let me try again. You said. “The Church does ask, that out of the charity of our heart, we give what we can but only if we choose. There is not an obligation, and the only place an obligation lies is that we go to Mass and pray outside the Mass.” This is what I took such strong exception to, and I still do. The church does not ask, the church tells us we are obliged to support its material needs according to our ability. This is not a request, it is an obligation ( which we are only released from if we have no ability). And it is one of the precepts, just as the Sunday mass obligation you point out.

Again, I apologize about not being specific, but the above sentences of yours are completely wrong.

You’re right, all the way. Thanks for correcting me. Pretend I never said it, I see where I went wrong! Thank you and God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

Well:

The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability. . . The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities. (Cathechism of the Catholic Church 2043)

The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for divine worship, for apostolic works and works of charity, and for the decent sustenance of ministers. They are also obliged to promote social justice and, mindful of the precept of the Lord, to assist the poor from their own resources. (Code of Canon Law 222)

So there is a moral obbligation to support the needs of the Church, because we are ALL the Church. It’s a community.

Also most of the donations in parishes indeed go to the heating bill and electricity bill… which is a comfort enjoyed by all who attend a service.

Do you need to ‘pay back payments’?

No, I and no one will come knock on your door asking for them.

There is no tithing. Catholics are under no obligation to tithe a certain percentage of their income to the Church.

Of course if you feel you need to contribute more you CAN. Not only money-wise. You might get involved in the parish and help out (e.g. cleaning the church, folding booklets or whatever)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.