When I was about 12 or 13 years old, my mother told me that if I ever committed suicide, I would end up in Hell

Forgive me if I’m wrong but this doesn’t seem to be the whole story. I feel more worried that you want nothing to do with your parents or family ever again than God. God never leaves us and loves us even when we reject him, but family who are not perfect human beings, grow in love when we practice forgiveness and reconciliation.

Someone has posted the Church teaching on suicide above to help understand. You may benefit from seeing a spiritual director. Parishes can point you in that direction.

I wondered this, too. Her mind seems made up and we’re strangers, so I’m not really sure what kind of feedback op is looking for…

So [quote=“Rosaline_L, post:11, topic:535400, full:true”]
Because it bothers me so much that I can hardly function on a day-to-day basis.
[/quote]
I’m confused. You are rejecting God, but it bothers you so much you can’t "function on a day to day basis? Or you’re mad at God because your mother hurt your feelings? Or the way to get back at your mother is to reject God? Also, what kind of feedback is it that you’re looking for?

Are you living on your own? Under the care of a counselor?

Again, it’s hard to understand your position. If you’re 28 now, why is this issue at 12 or 13 coming up now? What lead you to CAF? What response do you feel would be most helpful? And what do you mean by “mimic films”?

A bit more information would be helpful if you are looking for help or answers. I would also point out that if you are having trouble or are in crisis, we can’t give you the immediate attention you need. You should call someone local who can provide that immediate attention.

God will always love you.

What I want is to simply be at peace. I’m not mad at my mother or anything. I’m troubled by the prospect that a young child can spend all of eternity in outer darkness. That’s what’s causing me to abandon all faith in God. Being cursed by the Almighty for all of eternity to be banished outside of His presence at such a young age…

@Dan_Defender

Happy Anniversary here on CAF Dan! .Have a wounder day!

Thanks! Peace and joy :smiley:

@Rosaline_L

God know the heart and he is full of Love and Mercy ,no one can say that they would go to hell!

God has given us free will ,so each one has to choose wisely ,we may make mistakes that ok as we are weak humans ,but remember Jesus is our loving brother and wants us all to reach heaven safely ,sin has consequences,but he gives each one of us may chances to make amendments and reparation for our sin ,by the Sacrament of Confession and he give us all the more Graces to over come our sins,by our prayers, Holy Mass, Rosary, we are good to go ,Heaven is our common destiny. so no matter you get such thoughts ,dont get to you ,speak to your Priest prepare for a good Confession.

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/sacraments-and-sacramentals/penance/examinations-of-conscience.cfm

Before celebrating the Sacrament of Penance, one should prepare oneself with an examination of conscience, which involves reflecting prayerfully on one’s thoughts, words, and deeds in order to identify any sins.

There are various types of examinations of conscience but regardless of which one you use to prepare yourself for the Sacrament it should be rooted in Scripture; particularly, the Ten Commandments and Beatitudes. Below are a few examples of Examinations of Conscience that can help you prepare for the Sacrament.

Examination of Conscience based on the Ten Commandments

Examination of Conscience in Light of Catholic Social Teaching I En Español

Examination of Conscience for Children

Examination of Conscience for Young Adults

Examination of Conscience for Single People

Examination of Conscience for Married Persons

It sounds to me like you are focusing on a somewhat erroneous view of God in one specific circumstance. You are basing your eternal peace, ironically, on a view of God which appears problematic. That is, of course, your choice but it is a tragic choice, imo.

What do you feel we can do for you here at CAF? Do you want to be better catechized? Do you want us to try and get you to change your mind? Do you want more information? Or just to make a statement that you’re rejecting God?

“God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 In this is love perfected with us, that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love. 19 We love, because he first loved us.” - 1 John, chapter 4

God isn’t like that. Have you read anything on the saints? They’re experts on God’s love.

I loved the diary of St. Faustina. I never understood “offering it up” until that book and only because she provided example after example of it.

The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Monfort was also fantastic. It broadened my thinking of Mary. There are countless books written by the saints and more books written about them. Venerable Bishop Fulton Sheen had a tv show called, Life is Worth Living.

Saints are people who loved God so much that they devoted their lives to Him, lived and died for Him. I have never seen or read anything indicating a saint thinks children go to Hell. I’ve read about Hell, and Purgatory, and all kinds of other things but not that.

As an aside, if a child your age had committed suicide at the time or if there is a history of suicide in your family (which may never be talked about), your mother could very well have been trying to “scare” you from it. (AFSP is a great resource for suicide prevention.)

When I was twelve, a fourteen year old girl killed herself. She was the daughter of someone my dad worked with. He didn’t know the man because it was a big plant. He told my mom about it. I was really struck at how upset they were over the news. It was like a friend had died.

You are completely wrong about this. Everyone here has told you that.

Is the question of suicide the only issue you have with the Church or are there other big ones?

No. There are other ones as well.

It might be worth looking at whether your focus has landed on the suicide thing as a catch all for more contemporary issues you are having with the Church and your family.

I suffer from a chronic mental illness. As a result, my mental health failed and I eventually ended up attempting suicide. I was not Catholic at this time, so I was very, very lost and didn’t find God, although I was raised as a Protestant. But, when I realized that God is eternal, and He Himself is love, I found peace in Him, and I realized that He wanted the best for my future and for my life.

This faith, which I started to gain when I became officially Catholic in 2015, led me to hold strongly to hope, and as a result, I did not give up when my mental health, and even my physical health failed me. I know that your life may seem difficult, challenging, and dark- and I know how you feel in the suffering you have right now. But please know that God’s love is eternal, and He is always kind and generous, and He would welcome you with love, anytime- and with God’s love and His strength, I am here, still alive and standing. Without His support, I wouldn’t be alive today.

Please know that God truly loves you, and He knows you by name. He doesn’t want you to leave because you are His beloved child.

Pax Christi!

Many people reject Christianity and Islam because these religions have similar concepts of hell. In modern Christianity these ideas vary a lot. Traditionally, your mother’s view was dominant. Many Christians do not teach their children about hell for the very reason you mention. Others do not believe in the concept. Some unbelievers consider it a form of child abuse to terrify a child by telling them about traditional teaching on hell. All these views are normal, and common. What is unusual about your case is that you report suffering what appear to be obsessive (technical term, not being rude) ruminations that affect the normal functioning of your life. Please consider getting appropriate advice from a medial professional such as a doctor who works with psychologists, or a clinical psychologist directly. The will be able to help, whatever you decide to believe about hell.

OP, with all due respect, kind of seems like you just want attention. You’re not really engaging in the discussion or giving any indication you’re open to hearing your mom’s views corrected, and you just kind of showed up and made an announcement without asking a question. What is it you’re looking for exactly?

Peace. I really do want closure.

Ok, so why do you think your moms views were correct in the first place?

As others have said, seek out some assistance. If this idea of suicide is at the front of your mind, medical help is called for. We all need help from others, no exceptions. The only wrong thing to do is go it alone.

In addition, speak to a priest or pastoral counselor at your parish. The true God loves you and offers you forgiveness.
Peace is found with help from others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.