When in adoration

when inside the adoration chapel and the Blessed Sacrament is exposed, is it a good idea to confront someone who is minding her own business and telling that person that she shouldn't be there because she isn't dressed properly...(if the person is wearing shorts)

I am no expert on the subject, but how I’ve been taught is that absolute silence in respect for the Blessed Sacrament should always be observed. Confronting someone within the chapel would violate this rule just as would a dress code. Perhaps you may confront this person outside the chapel. The important thing is to remember that we enter the chapel to adore our Creator; our Lord and God. That is such an awesome thing!

I'm not sure it should really be a problem what they choose to wear, besides thats their business what they choose to wear, it's between them and God, it is a bit wrong to tell someone off because of what they're wearing. I don't think you should do it , just pray for the person

[quote="pink8888, post:1, topic:304155"]
when inside the adoration chapel and the Blessed Sacrament is exposed, is it a good idea to confront someone who is minding her own business and telling that person that she shouldn't be there because she isn't dressed properly...(if the person is wearing shorts)

[/quote]

I don't know, but I wouldn't do it. When I am at the presence of the Lord, I am there to adore Him, not to focus on those around me...thanks be to God that it is not my responsibility to admonish her...and I do not know whether she shouldn't be there...that may not be very charitable...and if you do not know her and there is not a noticeable age difference, she may get upset :shrug:

Perhaps, if this is a recurring issue, you may mention to the priest that quite a few faithful enter the chapel dressed improperly, and he may take further action (perhaps place a little sign, or mention this to the community at the proper time).

@Christine85 You know that at the presence of Our Lord we dress properly. Some Parrishes help the faithful with little articles, others have a section on proper attire on their website. Here's one such example:

We should wear to Mass what we would wear if a King invited us to his home for a feast. That is, we should wear our best. Our best should never draw attention to ourselves but give the utmost respect to the King (and His family) of whom we are special guests.

What Not To Wear

Immodest or revealing clothing is never acceptable.

For Women:

† Any clothing that bares midriffs or cleavage.
† Tight clothing meant to accentuate (to draw attention to) various body parts that God considers, and that we ought to consider, sacred.
† Short skirts (above knee) or miniskirts
† Shorts (capris are okay if they hit below the knee—but still discouraged)
† Sleeveless tops (short sleeves are okay).

For Men:

† Shorts (yes, even in the summer months)
† Tank tops.

Ladies use to wear (and, to some extent, still do wear) inside the Church a wonderful headcovering that made them resemble Our Lady...and indeed ladies should always try to reflect her...:)

Yes I understand that but I seriously don't think the OP has the right to say something... It's a little perhaps... Judgemental ... I hate to use that word. But seriously, I doubt God would be condemning the short wearing woman so neither should we

thank you!! precisely what i had in mind since last night.

i was the one who wore the shorts. :o

i think people really shouldn’t be criticizing or telling people to leave just because they think they are knowledgeable in matters of …whatever.

Haha!! Funny!! But it’s true, I don’t think people have the right to comment on stuff like that especially when you’re trying to pray. Like why does it worry them so much. Shouldn’t they be focused on God not on what you’re wearing!!!

I am sorry you were subjected to that!!

[quote="Christine85, post:7, topic:304155"]

I am sorry you were subjected to that!!

[/quote]

yeah, me too. haha. which got me to thinking... people like her can be one of the reasons why the young don't want to go and adore the Blessed Sacrament. and it's good if they can always guard the Sacred Host on their own - which is not the case in our parish.

tsk tsk. feeling discouraged....

Yeah, I know what you mean. All you can do is pray for her.
Some people think they have a right to do things like this and feel they receive reward from God for being pious and inconsiderate of other people's feelings.

With all charity: Mattew 7:1-5
and again in Luke 6:36-45

You're there to adore the Lord our God.

Recently, while in adoration, I was reading the Office.
Three High School age girls came in... very nicely dressed... and very loud.
I said nothing... continued my prayer
After a few minutes (maybe 10ish... I was about 1/2 way thru the hour's readings)
Quietly, one of the girls said... "Is He a Deacon - He has a Priest's Book"
My book has a lot of ribbons - makes it easier to find the passages
(No, I'm not.) I just kept quiet and kept after my prayers
The Chapel became quite
No, the girls didn't leave, they knelt and were saying some prayer.
I finished the Office
Took out my Rosary
They took out theirs.
We prayed a Decade.
"Preach the Gospel at all times... and when necessary, use words" - Saint Francis of Assisi

Absolutely not!

We have no idea of the circumstances that bring individuals to the Adoration Chapel. People may have come straight from a tragedy to rush into the arms of the Lord Jesus for comfort and help, and of course they didn't go home first to change out of their secular/everyday clothing.

A few years ago, a young boy drowned in a lake in our city. I happened to be at the Adoration Chapel when his family came in--dozens of them, all wearing their "picnic clothes." They were sobbing, embracing, and very very upset--I wouldn't have dreamed of asking them to leave because some of the young ladies were wearing shorts and tank tops. I was humbled to be sitting in the chapel during their time of grief, and I tried to join my prayers with theirs so that they could bear the awful loss of their little boy.

This is a true story. Before my daughter converted to Catholicism, she was working as a stage manager in her city and dating a stage hand. Things went bad in the relationship, and they had a horrible fight and break-up. It was 2 in the morning, she was hysterical and sobbing, and she didn't know who to call for comfort at that time. Then she thought of the Adoration Chapel at the Catholic Church in her neighborhood. She drove over, and pounded on the door (It was locked). A tiny little Asian lady opened the door and let her in (I'm sure she was terrified at that time of the morning!).

My daughter sat in the chapel sobbing out her grief to the Lord Jesus, and He helped her. (Again, the little Asian lady must have really wondered what was going on!)

I'm guessing that my daughter was dressed decently, but I don't know that. At any rate, she was wearing whatever she happened to have on when the big fight happened, and so I doubt it was a "modest dress." (Probably something all black, the typical garb for stage managers and stage hands.)

We simply CAN'T forbid people from coming to Jesus for help just because of what they are wearing. In our Adoration Chapel, we often get homeless people stopping by--they are never dressed well, and often smell unpleasant, but no one would dream of asking them to leave.

If someone is dressed immodestly, that's OK--Jesus came to minister to SINNERS, not perfect people.

If someone is truly dressed indecently, e.g., a woman who is bare-chested, which, BTW, is now legal in New York City, or a man who is exposing himself, that's a different situation. People who do things like this have some kind of mental or emotional problem and are in need of immediate human help. I would go get other people (I wouldn't try to approach someone like this alone) and we would try to persuade the unfortunate person to come with us, and we would be prepared to do whatever was necessary to help them (calling 911, take them to the hospital, etc.) I would certainly never order them to leave the chapel and then just ignore them in their misery.

Pray for the poor soul who felt it so necessary to be the Adoration Chapel Police.

:(

I admire the previous poster who just remained quiet while the noisy high school girls entered...I might feel the strong need to "shush" them. "Excuse me, I'm trying to pray." That sort of thing. But I think his/her way is better in the long run.

Your Church Lady should have to do her Adoration at a college campus, just for gins.

;)

And not be able to say a word about whatever garb the kids are wearing. Masking tape over mouth. Jesus said, :Let the little ones come to me," he didn't say, "And make sure they are wearing the right clothing!"

:rolleyes:

[quote="z_0101, post:10, topic:304155"]
With all charity: Mattew 7:1-5
and again in Luke 6:36-45

You're there to adore the Lord our God.

Recently, while in adoration, I was reading the Office.
Three High School age girls came in... very nicely dressed... and very loud.
I said nothing... continued my prayer
After a few minutes (maybe 10ish... I was about 1/2 way thru the hour's readings)
Quietly, one of the girls said... "Is He a Deacon - He has a Priest's Book"
My book has a lot of ribbons - makes it easier to find the passages
(No, I'm not.) I just kept quiet and kept after my prayers
The Chapel became quite
No, the girls didn't leave, they knelt and were saying some prayer.
I finished the Office
Took out my Rosary
They took out theirs.
We prayed a Decade.
"Preach the Gospel at all times... and when necessary, use words" - Saint Francis of Assisi

[/quote]

This:thumbsup:

OP, only you know why you wore shorts.to adoration.I have worn them to adoration, as I go before work, and in the summer I wear Dickie work shorts.
If you wear cutoff ragged shorts or pajama shorts, with the intention of making a point that you are above reverent dress, that is different story. Only Jesus knows.
The other adorer should be minding his/her own business.

I would not confront anyone immodestly dressed no matter if its for Mass, Adoration, etc. I know if I make a stop over for adoration at the chapel about 30 minutes from me, personally I make sure I am decently dressed. I've seen people come of all walks of life and dressed in a variety of things, and never once did I say anything to them as they are all there for the same reason I am = to spend time with the Lord in the Eucharist.

It would be easier to contact the priest privately if modesty and/or decency in dress isn't observed over a period so he could have a sign placed asking people to try to show up for adoration in decent/modest clothing. I have to keep my uncharitable thoughts about those dressed immodestly for anything church related to myself and would never dare confront someone.

Never.

It's none of my business, we don't know the reason why the person is wearing shorts, and some people may be sensitive. I probably wouldn't wear shorts to adoration personally, but if someone said something like that to me, I would be very hurt. Maybe the person is going to adoration/ church for the first time, or returning to the Church.. or struggling with their faith... and it may discourage them from ever going back to adoration or church.

[quote="pink8888, post:1, topic:304155"]

[/quote]

No.

It's bad manners. And I seriously doubt that the type of woman who goes to Adoration would go wearing skin-tight short shorts.

I've worn shorts to Adoration before! Where i used to live, the chapel was set up in a room originally meant for storage, so it has poor ventilation, and the AC isn't run 24/7, and it gets HOT in there, even with the oscillating fan blowing.

You never know why someone might be wearing what they are wearing,as others have said. I have gone to adoration wearing very stained work clothes (I work at Starbucks) because I had come from work. Another time (I was in RCIA at the time and it was like 11:30 pm at night) I wore pajama pants. It was only after I got to the chapel that I realized I probably shouldn't be wearing them, The person inappropriately dressed might already be realizing themselves that maybe they shouldn't have dressed that way. Unless it's really extremely inappropriate, why say something? Wearing shorts doesn't seem too horrible to me. There are many circumstantial reasons someone might wear shorts. Perhaps they were not at home when they decided to go to adoration and/or going home to change would result in not being able to go. Or maybe they have a problem with heat. Some people begin to feel really sick if its really hot. Or maybe like me, with my pajamas, they just didn't think about it being inappropriate.

I wouldn't say anything. She's there to pray, not to get fashion tips.

Years ago I was in the chapel having a nice quiet time when some older lady came over to me and loudly complained about my sweatshirt...it had a picture of Mickey Mouse and she thought it was inappropriate. Wow...

I am surprised that you can see what her soul is wearing.

Reb Levi

[quote="drafdog, post:19, topic:304155"]
I am surprised that you can see what her soul is wearing.

Reb Levi

[/quote]

where did this come from?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.