When Is a Hate Crime Not a Hate Crime?

Scott P. Richert makes an excellent point in his blog post on catholicism/about.com:
When Is a Hate Crime Not a Hate Crime?

As Muslims gathered at a football field on Staten Island, New York, on Sunday, August 19, to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of the annual Islamic fasting period of Ramadan, they were greeted with an unwelcome sight: three packages of uncooked bacon, scattered on the ground. This incident, CBS New York reports, is being treated as a hate crime.
Six days earlier, Catholic faithful in St. Louis, Missouri, arrived at St. Mary of Victories Chapel to celebrate Mass. In a small garden outside the church stood a headless statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. As the St. Louis Review, the publication of the Archdiocese of St. Louis, reports,
The statue, a “signature” feature of St. Mary of Victories, was vandalized sometime late Aug. 9 or early the next morning – the head was sliced off and was missing. But on the morning of August 13, the head was no longer missing. It had been
returned to the bottom of the pedestal, with Satanic inscriptions in red and blood drawn dripping from the corners of Our Lady’s mouth to make her look like a vampire. While St. Louis police are investigating the desecration of the statue,
A police spokesman said there is no indication of a hate crime and that right now it is being treated as a vandalism.

Hate crime laws need to be abolished. They are essentially just ways of prosecuting people for stuff that isn’t illegal and are almost always selectively enforced to pander to certain groups.

LMHO, if one is treated as a hate crime, both should be trested as a hate crime. There are some sadly that if you are Catholic you can not be a victem of a hate crime, :shrug::shrug:

When the victim is the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. It’s proof that we belong to the real faith. The rules that protect others don’t always protect us. That’s because the “rules” are part of this world, and we are not.

Just remember, the martyrs saw their persecutions as blessings, since they were suffering in a similar (but infinitely smaller) way as Jesus did for us all.

The World Hates the Church

Exactomundo, it’s proof positive.

The notion of “Hate crimes” is laughable; one does not commit crimes against one loves. :smiley:

But seriously, it’s a ridiculous and grossely unjust classification, created in order to be able to levy additional punishment for crimes for which there are/were already adequate laws on the books, methinks.

I have trouble believing that New York City can prosecute this incident as a hate crime. State law requires that such a charge accompany either a violent crime or property damage of at least $250.
criminaljustice.state.ny.us/legalservices/ch107_hate_crimes_2000.htm

Missouri law is a little more lenient, requiring property damage of at least $750.
moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5570000035.htm

As for why the NYC police decided on a hate crimes charge, but the St. Louis police did not, I don’t know. Different cities, different states. The two incidents would be more comparable if they were in the same city, or at least the same state.

Has the St. Louis parish even determined how much damage was done? The news report I read quoted the parish priest as saying he hadn’t checked into the cost of repairing the concrete statue.

When it doesn’t serve some Leftist political interest.

“Anyone who is aware of the high degree of selectivity of Leftist indignation, and of how they remain utterly impassive in the face of any injustice that doesn’t serve to further their agenda, keeps their complaints in perspective.” – Unknown

My thoughts exactly.

A hate crime is not a hate crime when, for political purposes and to divide, one forces a religious group to act against conscience.

But it also seems to me that all true crimes are “hate crimes” if one considers “hate” to be desiring the detriment of another.

It seems that Catholicism and its faithful have become one of the only societally acceptable persecutions. Catholicism has always been counter-cultural by its very nature - many people (certainly our society in general) don’t like to hear the Truth because it pricks their conscience.

John 7:7 - “The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that its works are evil.”

When we “put on Christ” the world hates us because we testfy that it’s works are evil.

Pax.

J.M.J.

When the victim is white, Christian, and heterosexual it is NOT a hate crime. :mad:

To my knowledge, nobody has EVER been prosecuted for committing a “hate” crime against a person fitting the above description.

I would think that any crime has a certain degree of hate attatched to it.

I don’t know about prosecutions, but the FBI collects data from local law enforcement agencies. The 2010 report for the nation indicated that

17.7 percent of racial hate crimes were victims of an anti-white bias

Of religious hate crimes, 4.2 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias,
3.0 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.

Regarding hate crimes involving sexual orientation, 1.4 percent were victims of an anti-heterosexual bias
fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2010/narratives/hate-crime-2010-victims

I doubt that. Most crimes are probably motivated by greed.

First and foremost, its victim must be a member of a perceived “oppressed” group. “Hate” is then imputed to the alleged perpetrator according to Leftist ideology, which might not be true in fact, at which point the alleged perpetrator ceases to be “alleged”.

What is it with this obsession with greed? It is as though envy doesn’t exist.

:confused:

When a gay-rights activist intrudes upon the Washington D.C. offices of the Family Research Center with a bag of Chick-fil-A sandwiches, complains boisterously about the FRC’s stance against “gay marriage” pulls a semi-automatic pistol out, shoots a security guard in the arm, then attempts to walk through the offices so he can randomly shoot FRC employees and volunteers, while leaving Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his wake as a grim “calling card” for his politically motivated killing spree. Thankfully, the shooter was subdued and no one was killed. But a special “LGBT unit” of the Washington D.C. police force was quick to conclude that this was NOT a hate crime. :confused:

I think this qualifies as an answer. Not much more needs to be said about it.

Peace,
Robert

Correction: When it serves some Leftist political interest.

And it might not even be a crime at all, but the expression of “some” crime against the perpetrator that entitled him to be the object of our grieving.

To me the victim is still just as dead, whether or not the victim was hated, or just in the way.

All crime should be treated equally under the law.

But, then, I’m told daily that I am out of step and out of time…

Not to fear:

cnn.com/2012/08/16/us/dc-shooting-blame/index.html

“Prosecutors said they are still investigating the motive behind the shooting, and the motive could determine whether Corkins is charged with domestic terrorism or hate crimes.”

Either way he’s got some more serious charges to deal with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.