When is a marriage not considered valid to the church?

My daughter who is catholic wants to marry a catholic who got married without approval outside the catholic church. How long does an annulment take in this case and what are the procedures and do you have to go thru your local priest?

Thank you

Catholics are required to be married in the Church (canon 1108 ยง1) or receive a dispensation to be married elsewhere. Otherwise it is an invalid marriage.

Catholics married outside the church and now divorced can obtain a decree of nullity on the basis of lack of canonical form. They would need to provide their sacramental records, copy of the civil marriage license, and a copy of the divorce decree. This paperwork is usually coordinated by your parish priest.

How long this takes depends on the case load of the local tribunal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.