When is Incense appopriate. &otherliturgicalquestions

In what types of masses are incense appropriate. In my parish the pastor only uses incense and he only does at one mass (more solemn then all others) and during holydays.

Im curious as to if you could use it every mass every day or if its reserved.

As well as I have been wondering about the use of a zuchetto during mass. Can a priest ware one every day or just on holydays?

Incense can theoretically used during any Mass. Most churches reserve it for Solemnities (Sundays, Christmas, Days of Obligation, etc.). Most of the time, incense is used sparingly for cost-effectiveness, even though it goes bad after a few months if it's not used. I personally like to see it used every Sunday.

It is forbidden for a priest to wear a zucchetto during the Mass, only a bishop can do that. Priests are allowed to wear the zucchetto outside of liturgical functions only. A priest, however, can wear the biretta during any Mass he says or attends in choir.

Incense should be BANNED lol

My nose cannot take it. I get a headache from them.

Incense has been used ever since the days of the Temple of Solomon, and the earliest documented history of using incense during a Catholic liturgy can be traced back to 16 centuries ago. Regardless of it all, incense became "optional" after the post-Vatican II liturgical reform, which in theory means it can be employed in each and every Mass, but in practice it means it entirely disappeared from a majority of parishes (though, thankfully, not from all).

I LOVE incense. I have asthma and find it so healing to breathe in incense (where any other kind of smoke will make me cough for days). Last night at the crism mass, I was within feet of the swinging thurible during the eucharistic prayer and it was so wonderful. I've been sick for 12 weeks with lung issues.

Whey does everything have to be about Vatican II?

The obsession with Vatican II is almost as bad as the obsession with homosexuality in the moral theology forum.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:6, topic:320224"]
Whey does everything have to be about Vatican II?

[/quote]

I did not say it had anything to to with Vatican II.

In fact, being that it's become such a cliche' amidst traditionalist debates, I specified that the liturgical reform of the Roman Rite was post-Vatican II.

And I had to mention this, because incense was always employed in High Mass until the liturgical reform came forth, and it came forth by recommendation of the Council.

As far as I know the Byzantine Rite employed in Eastern Catholic churches still uses incense.

ncense can theoretically used during any Mass. Most churches reserve it for Solemnities (Sundays, Christmas, Days of Obligation, funeral,weddings , procession of the blessed sacrament , Benediction .). Most of the time, incense is used sparingly for cost-effectiveness, even though it goes bad after a few months if it's not used. I personally like to see it used every Sunday.

In nomine Patris, + et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Introibo ad altare Dei. R: Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.

[quote="L_Marshall, post:2, topic:320224"]
Incense can theoretically used during any Mass. Most churches reserve it for Solemnities (Sundays, Christmas, Days of Obligation, etc.). Most of the time, incense is used sparingly for cost-effectiveness, even though it goes bad after a few months if it's not used. I personally like to see it used every Sunday.

It is forbidden for a priest to wear a zucchetto during the Mass, only a bishop can do that. Priests are allowed to wear the zucchetto outside of liturgical functions only. A priest, however, can wear the biretta during any Mass he says or attends in choir.

[/quote]

Is there a GRIM or Canon for this? I thought it was reserved for All Souls day only because of the style (all black). And I have been taught outside of mass is an always allowed.

Incense is a sacramental which symbolises the rising of prayers to God.

Therefore incense can be used on any occasion involving prayer - I regularly use a table censer during evening prayer. Obviously any mass involves prayer and so incense can be used.

As to why it is or is not used there are lots of variables to consider. Cost, willingness of the priest, ability and availability of servers, dislike within the parish, etc.

I think the only time a thurible with incense is required is during the easter vigil, when the paschal candle must be incensed, but I stand to be corrected on that.

All the best

Martin

As an update: went to the Holy Thursday Mass at our Cathedral last night. Had three thuribles going at once.

[quote="L_Marshall, post:11, topic:320224"]
As an update: went to the Holy Thursday Mass at our Cathedral last night. Had three thuribles going at once.

[/quote]

AWEsomeness! :highprayer: :highprayer: :highprayer:

On Eater vigil i was thurifer and I couldn't see the back of church because of the smoke

In nomine Patris, + et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Introibo ad altare Dei. R: Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.