When is Masturbation mortal?

Ok, so lets say you were taking a shower and were washing your genitals and got sexually aroused because you touched a certain area on accident. Would this be considered mortal because you knew there was a chance you might be aroused but did it anyway? Thanks in advance for any responses!

Masturbation should be stopped immediately. Pray for help and trust it will come: To God all good things are possible. Think of heaven: remember the irritation of it all is temporary. Flex your leg muscles so the blood rushes there instead. If in bed with urges, keep your legs entirely still. Listen to epic music. Cold water can help if things get really bad.

I can assure you it gets hugely easier over time, so make it though however you can morally.

In regard to the mortality of it all, only God knows the degree to which someone has sinned. Ask for forgiveness if you haven’t already, and don’t do it again. Remember Jesus loves you, but also that He wants you to act in a certain way.

Don’t worry. “Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” - John 14:27

“I plead with you! Never, ever give up on hope, never doubt, never tire, and never become discouraged. Be not afraid.”
“If He asks much of you, it is because He knows you can give much.”

• St Pope John Paul II

I apologise: I shouldn’t have assumed you were doing this. I can see that this might be hypothetical.

You should wash your genitals. I personally have never been aroused by bathing. Maybe you shouldn’t overly wash? Don’t emphasize one particular part because it feels good. Just bathe and be done. :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t hurt to mention this during confession.

A person should know how sensitive they are to different stimulation. If they keep on …it’s a mortal sin. No use making excuses.

i have to wonder if it’s mortal if you don’t ejaculate, and if your thoughts are pure.

As soon as you realize you’re doing it and its arousing you, you need to stop. If you continue, and especially if you finish then it is mortal. Its safe to say that every instance of sexual sin is mortal, because it is something that can be controlled and denied, unless it is habitual. However, even if its habitual and not mortal, you still need to receive confession as soon as possible, and I would refrain from taking part in the Eucharist.

And yes, it gets easier. Try not to entertain any sexual thoughts. Always strive not to and never let the “its a habit so it isn’t mortal” thing stop you from trying not to. You can stop this.

Ejaculation is not a requirement for the sin to be mortal.

I think those who are struggling with masturbation should ask their confessor/spiritual director if and when it’s a mortal sin.

I would mention this to your confessor. You need to ask yourself if there was full consent of the will here. Also, I’m not so sure one can accidentally fall into mortal sin in a case like this, but no one on here can really ascertain your conscience but you. :shrug:

Quote:
As soon as you realize you’re doing it and its arousing you, you need to stop. If you continue, and especially if you finish then it is mortal. Its safe to say that every instance of sexual sin is mortal, because it is something that can be controlled and denied, unless it is habitual. However, even if its habitual and not mortal, you still need to receive confession as soon as possible, and I would refrain from taking part in the Eucharist.
End quote

In my lifetime, this sinful activity was NEVER considered to be HABITUAL. In this post, it seems that IF this sinful action is POSITIVELY “habitual and not mortal”, this point should/must be made clear in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I realize that this perspective cannot be used as “blanket reasoning” and that it must be focused on by a Priest, one person at a time. When does one REALLY have a “bad habit” or is the sinful action “knee-jerk” under prevailing circumstances “while taking a shower”, etc. Oh, woe, what a web we weave in the world of ambiguity ! :shrug:

I think you people are getting a charge out of this Topic.

As Hillary said, “what difference does it make.” Just confess it, if you have any doubt. It doesn’t matter if it’s mortal or venial…God will sort it out!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.