When is my first confession?

You will need to go along with the schedule of RCIA.

More than likely, your confession will take place a couple of weeks before Easter Vigil. Then at Easter Vigil, you will be confirmed and receive your first Eucharist.

The only reason that I say you need to go along with your RCIA program is because, at my parish, my priest had a one on one conversation with me before my first confession. Asking and making sure that I was not being forced into converting. If I remember correctly, I even signed something.

You sins can not be any worse than mine was … I didn’t make a first confession until the age of 35. And I’ve done it all! (with the exception of Abortion, however, I helped someone out after her abortion)…

So don’t let pride get in the way of a good confession with this priest. Start preparing spiritually for this confession right now.

I don’t think that’s what she meant at all. I believe she meant that the parish priest may want to talk to Justin around the time of his first confession or before his first confession. I really don’t think she meant the the priest will use his confession to see if he’s ready to become a Catholic.

But yes, you are right.

What on earth did you sign? There is no church document for an RCIA person to sign. Catechumens do sign the book of the Elect which is unrelated to confession. BTW you know the penitent must be in a state of grace to receive a sacrament so any mortal sin (common to cohabitation) would make the penitent invalid, thus the confession is usually very close to the sacrament.

It is very common for some to choose to repent with priest whom they do not see weekly, it is not a problem and perfectly valid and licit. An, example might be when the sin involved other members of the church who will not confess the sin, or simply the penitent fears any type of leak even accidental.

hope that helps

Thanks for your replies. It has helped sort some things out. I am not shy about confessing, however, after reading the Examination of Conscience pamplet, I was shocked as just how much baggage I’ve accumulated. It is sort of a laundry list of my life (except the illegal stuff). Right now, my biggest concern is that I step in front of a bus before this happens. Pray for me please.

Confirmation and First Communion will be at the same Mass. There won’t be time for confession in between.

I know that first confessions are hard, but so do the priests hearing them. They’re going to help you as much as they can to ease the process. Keep in mind that the sacrament is for you…it’s a chance for you to experience God’s love and mercy. All those time in Scripture when Jesus said to someone that they were forgiven…well now he’s saying it to YOU.

I think that I signed something saying that I wasn’t being forced into converting. Really…it was really just my initials.

If you look at my previous post, I told the OP that his confession will probably take place a week or two before Easter Vigil. I KNOW that one must be in a state of grace…I studied the Catholic faith four years before my conversion.

If he goes outside of his RCIA class on his own to make a first confession, then looks at the RCIA teacher and tell him or her that he’s already made his first confession :o will that not cause some problems…he really just needs to hang on and go with the group on this and see what’s going to happen…

Justin - You do NOT have to make a list of details for the priest. Just state the sin and number of times. If you don’t know how many, just say “too many times to count”…that was my favorite line during my first confession. :stuck_out_tongue: ha!

Thanks…I may just say “thirty years worth” and hope that is sufficient.

Grace and Peace,

Went to Confession this weekend after about 4 weeks and boy do I feel the weights lifted! Confession is truly a Grace, nothing to fear. :o

I think you and the RCIA director need to go to the Pastor together and get the dates, times, and places correct for the various rites and sacramental celebrations of Lent and Easter, because it would be unusual to have Confirmation for adults before First Communion. It may be they told you that you would have confession for the first time in February or March (Lent), so I’d ask again and keep asking until they answer properly.

If you are already baptized and well on your way to preparing for Confirmation and First Communion, you may make your confession of all sins of your past life to any Catholic priest in any parish. If you have questions about how-to, what to do, what to say, that should be covered in the next few weeks of your RCIA class. All you really need to know is what sins you are confessing, tell the priest your situation that it is your first time and you are preparing for sacraments, and he will guide you. If you search on how to go to confession you will get some good guidance here, but they will no doubt cover this in your class and have some type of penance service for you.

But you don’t have to wait for that if you are ready now.

If you are not baptized, all sins will be forgiven and taken away in that sacrament, so your first confession will be some time after Easter.

you were told wrong. ask a priest, not your RCIA instructor, because there may be some aspects of your personal situation that have to be addressed before Confirmation (marriage issues are one common problem). In fact, if you are already baptized, you must confess all mortal sins that you are aware of before you are properly disposed for that sacrament.

It will be at some point during Lent, before your Confirmation. If nothing has been scheduled for you, you will be free to make your own arrangements. Unfortunately there are some RCIA coordinators who don’t believe that First Confession is all that important, and they don’t make arrangements for it.

Confirmation for adult converts normally takes place at the same Mass when you receive your First Holy Communion.

It is not up to “RCIA coordinators” ordinaries are required to adhere to the licit aspects of sacraments. For example we simply have confession that morning during a walk through rehearsal. Typically team members, sponsors, etc. also go. We even encourage the catechumens to go though technically they cannot receive absolution. We find catechumens need the training concerning the sacrament.

We were told that it would not be at our home parish but at the Bishop’s cathedral for the anointing, confirmation and communion. I doubt that the Bishop is planning on hearing my transgressions.

the reason many parishes have the candidates make their first confession shortly before the Mass of the confirmation and first communion, is the natural assumption that if one confesses, say in January, it is quite likely, human nature being what it is, that one will probably need confession again before April or May, or whenever the sacraments are received, and without a planned service of some kind, they may not get it. I repeat however if a candidate feels a strong need and is ready to do so he can confess to any priest in any parish now, and he should tell that priest the circumstance–I am a candidate preparing for confirmation and full communion at Easter, and this is my first confession. It would be a very good idea for a number of reasons to go again before confirmation, especially in the service planned for your class, and of course mandatory if you should have the misfortune to fall into mortal sin before that time.

Many parishes here also schedule the marriage convalidation the morning of confirmation, followed by confession, so as not to leave any doubt that any sin arising from the irregular marriage situation has been absolved before receiving the other sacraments.

But how can a non-catholic be given absolution? I am a non-catholic until confirmation, right? Anyway, I just called my RCIA instructor and he said the Feb event was an anointing right and not confirmation. I guess it will all work out.

You are catholic, you are not yet “in communion”. The primary requirement is a profession of faith to make you eligible for absolution. Some would accept the attending of RCIA and or the seeking absolution, and or the Rite of Welcoming, etc as that profession. Other priests may ask you to repeat the standard profession ( as you will at confirmation) “I believe in all the catholic church teaches to be the true word of god” A profession of faith with a Trinitarian baptism and your are good to go, so go.

Probably what he is refering to is the Rite of Continuing Conversion and Election, this is usually held the first Sunday of Lent. My RCIA group are also having a Rite of Sending that day at our home parish and then that afternoon we are having teh Rite of Continuing Conversion and Election at the cathedral with the Bishop.

Probably what he is refering to is the Rite of Continuing Conversion and Election, this is usually held the first Sunday of Lent. My RCIA group are also having a Rite of Sending that day at our home parish and then that afternoon we are having teh Rite of Continuing Conversion and Election at the cathedral with the Bishop.

As I said, baptized candidates for full communion with the Catholic Church must confess before confirmation and first communion. I am quite sure your RCIA director has a plan for preparing you and providing this opportunity for confession for you and the other candidates. My only point is that you do not have to wait for that if you feel strongly you wish to confess sooner.

Please keep asking your director for an answer that applies to your specific case, and make sure he understands your status when you ask (baptized non-Catholic). There should not be any anointing rite for you, although the catechumens may in an optional right be anointed at various times during their preparation. He may have been giving you a general answer, not specific to you. Generally we prefer to explain what is going to happen, in order, just before it happens, when it is time to prepare you, because if we gave you all the information in one lump sum it gets very confusing.

You are going to receive the Call to Continuing Conversion from your Bishop during the first weekend of Lent - at that point, you can begin to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation in the Church - you are no longer considered a “non-Catholic” but as a Catholic who has not yet received all of his Sacraments of Initiation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.