When is rash judgement a mortal sin?

I know for rash judgement it’s a mortal sin if, with full consent and knowledge:

-the judgement is a conviction, not merely a doubt

-if you’re purposefully judging them

-and if it’s about a mortal sin

But for the last condition, does that mean that you are judging that they have committed a mortal sin when it’s unsure, or that you are judging that they’ve committed something of grave matter, when it’s unsure?

Also, if you see someone make a decision that is reckless, let’s say, while driving, would it be rash judgement to assuming they’ve committed something of grave matter, while assuming they did it without sufficient reflection/full consent of the will?

Thank you for your answers.

Citation for when rash judgement is a mortal sin?

I think that rash judgment is just that; a rush to judgment without thought or consequences. It is not necessarily a mortal sin. A mortal sin would be to make a judgment that is harmful and done without repentance would be a mortal sin. But there are others that are far wiser and knowledgeable than I that can answer this better than I. Peace.

Okay.

Well, according to Fr. Hardon’s dictionary rash judgement is “Unquestioning conviction about another person’s bad conduct without adequate grounds for the judgment. The sinfulness of rash judgment lies in the hasty imprudence with which the critical appraisal is made and in the loss of reputation that a person suffers in the eyes of the one who judges adversely.”

Also, the condition of judgement being deliberate, I think, goes with the fact that we cannot accidentally commit mortal sins.

Funny, now I can see the answer to my question quite clearer now… :slight_smile:

So, what should you do if u think u know what someone else is up to, & have negatively judged them for it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.