When is torture warranted?

I completely understand that torture is never justified according to John Paul II, yet I have my doubts. I looked through the “The Rock” section on torture and I understood it to mean that the Magisterium never made an infallible decision on torture for the common good. I find that the double effect principle justifies torture only when the good helps many people. The whole water boarding debate recently makes sense to me that torture can be done in severely limited cases in order to insure the safety of the country as long as the victim will not lose his/her quality of life. So is torturing criminals for the greater good allowed and does the church find water boarding to be torture? I only hope to find the truth about this issue.

These links should be helpful in regard to torture. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly. **
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]The Church and Torture
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.