When Jesus said "I thirst" While on the Cross

I have heard that when Jesus said "I thirst" while on the cross he did not just mean physical thirst, but that he thirsts for souls. Anyone else hear of this? It does make sense, IMO. Thanks ahead of time :).

Yeah I think I've read that either in St Therese's writings or St Faustina's writings, or both! :) I'm pretty sure there's been several saints say that.

It makes sense to me as well.

Never heard of that, I always thought it was just a physical thirst. Interesting.

:thumbsup: Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

CALVARY AND THE MASS

A Missal Companion

by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, Ph.D., D.D., LL.D., Litt.D.

THE COMMUNION

“I thirst.”-John 19:28.

OUR Blessed Lord reaches the communion of His Mass when out from
the depths of the Sacred Heart there wells the cry: "I thirst."
This was certainly not a thirst for water, for the earth is His
and the fullness thereof; it was not a thirst for any of the
refreshing droughts of earth, for He calmed the seas with doors
when they burst forth in their fury. When they offered Him a
drink, He took it not. It was another kind of thirst which
tortured Him. He was thirsty for the souls and hearts of men.

read all of it here:
ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/CALMASS.TXT

and here:
Also by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, then Most Rev. Fulton J. Sheen
Passion Week (Holy Week): Good Friday
malankaraworld.com/library/Lent/Passion/Passion_Good_Friday_5th-word-from-cross-Sheen.htm
I Thirst. - The Fifth Word from the Cross

by Most Rev. Fulton J. Sheen

The cry, “I thirst,” refers not to physical thirst. It was His soul that was burning and His Heart that was on fire. He was thirsting for the souls of men. The Shepherd was lonely without His sheep; the Creator was yearning for His creatures; the First-born was looking for His brethren.

All during His life He had been searching for souls. He left heaven to find them among the thorns; it mattered little if they made a crown of, them for Him, so long as He could find the one that was lost. He said He came “not to call the just, but sinners,” and His Heart thirsted for them now more than ever. He could not be happy until every sheep and every lamb was in His sheep-fold. “Other sheep I have, that are not of this fold: them also I must bring … and there shall be one fold and one shepherd.”

There was sorrow in His sad complaint during life; “You will not come to me”; but there is tragedy in the last cry: “I thirst.”

and here:

What Are The Seven Last Words of Christ? (From Archbishop Fulton Sheen)
freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2481290/posts

“I thirst.” (Jn 19:28)

The fifth last word of Christ echoes Isaiah 55:1, “Come, all you who thirst.” Whether you acknowledge it or not, everyone has a thirst for God. Everyone desires something deeper and seeks someone higher. As Our Lord hangs on the cross, He says that it works two ways. God is also on a quest for our souls: He is the Hound of Heaven…

I am sure if you did an online search, you would find even more by him on those very words.
I thought it was him as soon as I read your question, so I searched on ask.com
Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen (first) and then hit search and after that, I typed I thirst after his name, and did another search and found all of the above.

For more on him: (such a wonderful servant of God).

archbishopsheencause.org/

Yeh, ok… Hey, guess what people. He was of flesh and blood. Believe whatever you want but the man was brutally beaten, nailed and hung to a cross in the desert. HE WAS THIRSTY!

[quote="RockstarBuffalo, post:5, topic:323535"]
Yeh, ok… Hey, guess what people. He was of flesh and blood. Believe whatever you want but the man was brutally beaten, nailed and hung to a cross in the desert. HE WAS THIRSTY!

[/quote]

If Jesus could endure being brutally beaten and nailed on the cross, I think Jesus could endure a little thirst, don't you think? I mean, this is the PASSION of Jesus Christ and one of his lasts words can't be 'I thirst' because he was physically thirsty. There is deeper meaning behind those words.

And it has been revealed to saints/ by saints that Jesus thirsts for the salvation of souls and for them to accept his love- something along those lines.

[quote="lilelvispresley, post:6, topic:323535"]
If Jesus could endure being brutally beaten and nailed on the cross, I think Jesus could endure a little thirst, don't you think? I mean, this is the PASSION of Jesus Christ and one of his lasts words can't be 'I thirst' because he was physically thirsty. There is deeper meaning behind those words.

And it has been revealed to saints/ by saints that Jesus thirsts for the salvation of souls and for them to accept his love- something along those lines.

[/quote]

Endure a little thirst? While on the verge of excruciating death from torture? No I don’t think he could endure that without saying he was thirsty.

The rosary points out that he was collapsing from the brutal trauma he endured BEFORE he was nailed to the cross and hung in the hot desert sun bleeding to death.

Again. This is over kill thinking he wasn’t simply thirsty. Additionally you make the comment that his last words can’t be “I’m thirsty” WHY! This isn’t a movie. This is a man being brutally tortured. Why do so many people buy into the romanticized idea that this is all some scripted story?

Stop making it a fairy tale and realize he was the son of God but in a human body. By the way. His last words had to do with asking the Lord why he had forsaken him. Why wouldn’t he also say he was thirsty?

[quote="RockstarBuffalo, post:7, topic:323535"]
By the way. His last words had to do with asking the Lord why he had forsaken him.

[/quote]

He was reciting Psalm 22 right then, BTW. ;)

I suggest you go do some research my friend :wink:

how is someone that is in unimaginable pain supposed to care about thirst? When I entered church back then I learned that he drank in order to complete the seder (the last supper)

[quote="504Katrin, post:10, topic:323535"]
how is someone that is in unimaginable pain supposed to care about thirst? When I entered church back then I learned that he drank in order to complete the seder (the last supper)

[/quote]

"As Jesus utters these last words, the thirst of which He speaks is a thirst which is consuming His life's blood. It is the very reason and core for His coming to the world and dying for our sins. It is a deep, spiritual thirst: the thirst for the souls of all mankind. Jesus thirsts for the eternal salvation of all people everywhere and it is through his selfless sacrifice that He sought to reconcile all of humanity to the love of God. ​He knows, in this His last moment, that there will be souls who will be eternally lost regardless of His life offering, and the agony and pain this thought brings far exceeds the physical pain of his crucifixtion. ​"

Thanks for all the replies guys! Ill be sure to look up some of the sources some of you have used... Still open to any extra info/opinions/ideas, so keep them coming if you'd like to share.

[quote="504Katrin, post:10, topic:323535"]

[/quote]

That's also true:thumbsup: Scott Hahn I think says that in his book the Lambs Supper. I don't see why it couldn't be all three personally. Scripture does have a polyvalent sense to it.

That is very true, in Katya’s short books on the passion in my signature, Jesus dictates to Katya and explains all of the stations of the cross and goes into detail on them including “I Thirst.” which is that he thirsts for souls.

Thank you for reading
Josh

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the words being uttered to allow him to drink the “fourth cup”. Am I one of the few who has read “Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist”?
In order to finish the passover meal he was required to drink the fourth cup of wine and proclaim "It is finished"
Remember, he was offered wine earlier before the crucifixion.

=DannyGR;10640769]I have heard that when Jesus said "I thirst" while on the cross he did not just mean physical thirst, but that he thirsts for souls. Anyone else hear of this? It does make sense, IMO. Thanks ahead of time :).

Congradulations Danny:thumbsup:

Your hearing IS FINELY tuned:D

That is correct. There would have been no need [it was obvious fact], for Jesus to be referencing "physical thirst" for three reasons:

That was part of the inflicted pain

The ones he would have asked for help; just NAILED Him to the Cross to SUFFER!

He WAS offered a druged drink and REFUSED it.

The Message is:

EVEN WITH ALL THAT I HAVE DONE; I WISH I COULD STILL DO MORE FOR YOU!

One thing I've often wondered. we were taught that forsaken me also can be translated as abandoned me. Is it possible that when Jesus became sin for us that God had to turn His face away from Him, removing
Himself and the Holy spirit from Jesus so that He was no longer in Him as He is in Him also. you know what I mean.

The result being that the 'rivers of life giving water' that flowed within Jesus was no longer there. He thirsted for God and the Holy spirit. ?

I know Jesus and God are one like wet and water, you can't get in water without getting wet.

[quote="Aussieman88, post:17, topic:323535"]
One thing I've often wondered. we were taught that forsaken me also can be translated as abandoned me. Is it possible that when Jesus became sin for us that God had to turn His face away from Him, removing
Himself and the Holy spirit from Jesus so that He was no longer in Him as He is in Him also. you know what I mean.

The result being that the 'rivers of life giving water' that flowed within Jesus was no longer there. He thirsted for God and the Holy spirit. ?

I know Jesus and God are one like wet and water, you can't get in water without getting wet.

[/quote]

Katya addresses this in her short book "from sini to calvery" free to read online here - loveandmercy.org/Eng-FSC-Reg.pdf

Christ dictates to her about the stations of the cross, including "My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me." I strongly recommend reading it, my words cannot describe.

In short he was addressing all of those who would turn out to suffer a similar fate and feel the same way of "My God My God, Why have you forsaken me." for all of those who have heavy crosses imposed on them for doing right/wrong, for all of the injustices our brothers commit against one another.

This is a very short extract from the link above -

These are the words of Jesus Christ in Bold

22) “I felt in each centimeter of My Body the pain of
each child murdered inside the body of his own
mother. And their innocence joined with My shout
of human powerlessness: ‘My God, My God… why
have You forsaken me? Why do You permit this
woman, who could cradle me in her arms, warming
my small body, to condemn me to not see the light
of day and to condemn herself to not see the Light
of Heaven?

Thank you for reading
Josh

=Aussieman88;10674053]One thing I've often wondered. we were taught that forsaken me also can be translated as abandoned me. Is it possible that when Jesus became sin for us that God had to turn His face away from Him, removing

We must KEEEP IN Mind that Jesus ALONE has TWO complete and Perfect NATURES:

I really LIKED your "wet and water":thumbsup:

he was [and is] ALWAY'S God; But it is Christ the "man" who suffered and died on the Cross for us.

When Jesus exclaimed:"My God; My God why have YOU abandoned me" he was speaking in and through His HUMAND nature.

ALSO, the "abandon me" is often not clearly understood. GOD NEVER ABANDONS US; WE CAN HOWEVER, ABANDON HIM.:) What Christ is saying here: Is "was this truly necessary?" FATHER HELP ME!

[quote="RockstarBuffalo, post:7, topic:323535"]
Endure a little thirst? While on the verge of excruciating death from torture? No I don’t think he could endure that without saying he was thirsty.

The rosary points out that he was collapsing from the brutal trauma he endured BEFORE he was nailed to the cross and hung in the hot desert sun bleeding to death.

Again. This is over kill thinking he wasn’t simply thirsty. Additionally you make the comment that his last words can’t be “I’m thirsty” WHY! This isn’t a movie. This is a man being brutally tortured. Why do so many people buy into the romanticized idea that this is all some scripted story?

Stop making it a fairy tale and realize he was the son of God but in a human body. By the way. His last words had to do with asking the Lord why he had forsaken him. Why wouldn’t he also say he was thirsty?

[/quote]

Christ always speaks the Truth.So if he said he thirsts..it could mean in a physical or spiritual way or both physical and spiritual ways.Was Christ not true God and True Man?so why do some people want to separate his divine and human natures on the cross as if they were not part of thesame Christ?physical thirst and spiritual thirst for souls are not mutually exclusive!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.