When Jesus was on the Cross, he gave Mary to John. Why?

(taken from www.qorbono.com weekly newsletter)

A. Actually, Jesus gave John to Mary, not Mary to John. These were his last words from the Cross and an integral part of his public ministry. In so doing, he wished for us all to understand the role that his mother is to play in our lives: through the suffering she endured on Golgotha, she gave birth to the body of Christ just as she gave birth to his head; a supernatural act of grace only possible through the sovereign suffering of Christ and under Him.

Therefore, her son wished for his mother to be the mother of all the believers and right when he was about to be born to eternal life, he told his mother what she had brought forth: a boy, her first son amongst the redeemed: St. John.

It’s quite likely He also knew John would be the only Apostle who would not be martyred and thus in a position to be around for as long as Mary needed protection & support.

Not to mention the fact that Mary was John’s Auntie

I asked this on CARM, not one person could give me a satisfactory answer, think I’m blocked now, well I’m unable to sign in anymore, oh well.

You were blocked from CARM?!?

What are the odds of that?:wink:

Also, Jesus had no Brothers and Sisters. They would have looked after Mary in Jesus’ absence - had they existed. And I guess this shows that St. Joseph had probably died by 33 A.D.

JD

Well, of course the obvious reason is that since St John is always named as the disciple that Jesus loved and since we can easily fit our name on this (because we are the ones Jesus loves) Jesus was not just talking to St John, but to all of us. St John physically took Mary into his house but he also spiritually took her as her mother. And as the disciple that Jesus love we must learn to obey our Lord and Savior’s last words and take Mary (His mother) into our house and as our spiritual mother. Wouldn’t that be what the disciple whom He love would do?

Exactly, which would fit in with Revelation 12:17:

Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God’s commandments and bear witness to Jesus.

Don’t know, I thought I was reasonable in my postings, :blush: will give it another try at a later date, maybe the site was having difficulties. :shrug:

:rotfl:

Or maybe they understood you completely!!!

:rotfl:

Sounds to me like they understood you completely!!!

I am afraid you are completely wrong on this account. It was not John but Lazarus whom Jesus entrusted his mother. Lazarus was in the bosom of Jesus after he resurrected him making him his spiritual son. Thus he entrusted his mother to him and visa versa…

Visit lordswitnesses.us/that_other_disciple_whom_jesus_l.htm

I’ve read part of your link, it’s been refuted many times on this forum.

Oh, this is fun. Lazarus, whom the Jewish leaders were also trying to kill, is going to just walk up to the same Jewish Leaders who have Jesus bound up and beaten?!?

That’s real good detective work your web-site author has done there, prince.

Jesus was the only son of his mother and therefore responsible for her welfare from the time she became a widow. Up to the time of the crucifixion he had provided a home for her (in Caphernaum cf. Mark 2). As he was dying, he had still the responsibility of his mother to deal with and John was there. What more natural thing for a righteous Jew to do than to pass that responsibility on to a close friend? Jesus was being a dutiful son. The words recounted in the Gospel are a passing of the responsibility to John and an indication that Mary was to consider John a proxy for Jesus in all civil matters under Jewish law.

Matthew

Jesus simply did what any good ONLY son would do. He not only gave John the reponsibilty of His Mother to him.
Also he gave His Mother to all to have in our home and life.

BTW, Why would Jesus have to tell John to take care of his mother if he was her son?:hmmm:

If that wasn’t so crazy it would be funny. You mean you don’t agree with the plain teaching of scripture in John 19:25-27?

"When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son,“and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.” (NIV)

Jesus gave Mary over to John when He said “Dear woman, here is your son,” It is plain and a straight foward statement.

I think our good prince is saying that nowhere in John’s Gospel does it say that John is “the Beloved Disciple”. That’s a result of Catholic tradition. Just as early Christian tradition said that Mark is the boy who ran away naked in the garden of Gethsemane.

:thumbsup:

To support your statement, this is a commentary from the USCCB website regarding John 19:26-28…

“This scene has been interpreted literally, of Jesus’ concern for his mother; and symbolically, e.g., in the light of the Cana story in John 2 (the presence of the mother of Jesus, the address woman, and the mention of the hour) and of the upper room in John 13 (the presence of the beloved disciple; the hour). Now that the hour has come (John 19:28), Mary (a symbol of the church?) is given a role as the mother of Christians (personified by the beloved disciple); or, as a representative of those seeking salvation, she is supported by the disciple who interprets Jesus’ revelation; or Jewish and Gentile Christianity (or Israel and the Christian community) are reconciled.

Here is the link: nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/john/john19.htm. See footnote 11.

This teaching is additionally supported with Revelation 12:17:

Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God’s commandments and bear witness to Jesus.

I bolded your mistake. Reasonable postings seem to cause database errors on CARM.

As to the discussion at hand. I think it should also be noted that since John was the “beloved” I would take that to mean that he was probably Jesus’ “best friend”. That is my take on it though.

As was posted earlier there is also much to be said for the fact that he knew the path that John’s life would take would make him the best choice.

In the end probably most of the posts here are at least somewhat correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.