When my non-denominational "Bible Christian" uncle denies and tries to prove wrong beliefs in my Catholic faith

by using the bible, what should I do when I don’t know how to respond? I don’t read the bible very often. Hey, I’m Catholic and don’t refer and rely only on the bible.

Advice?

I would say something like “I will find out the answer and get back to you”. Then research it on Catholic.com, since it probably is an old argument that has long since been refuted. Then politely explain the answer to your uncle. He may eventualy realize that the Catholic ways are correct.

Be sure to get back with him, since he probably thinks that you can’t come up with the answer.

It all comes down to this:

Either one accepts the magesterial authority and Tradition or not. If so, one is a Catholic, if not, a Protestant (or other).

It is possible to show biblical support for pretty much anything in the Catholic faith. But there is the conundrum; for Protestants, there is quite a variability in interpretation of Scripture. Thus it’s easy to say, when confronted with Scriptural evidence of the doctrines of Catholocism, that we Catholics have an “incorrect interpretation” of scripture.

It’s a battle one cannot win, unless one happens to be able to more effectively win the battle of the bible verses, which I doubt you’ll be able to do with your uncle.

Best to take it issue by issue; it’s easy to be overwhelmed by the numerous objections with their scriptural “evidence”. It might be wise to say, “Uncle, you clearly know your scripture better than I do. Let me look into that matter and get back to you on that. In the meantime, I trust in the doctrines of the Catholic Church” or something like that. Then do it. The forumites here would be happy to help. :thumbsup:

Well, you can tell your uncle that you do not debate religion at family get-togethers.

This is a completley UN-Catholic answer. While the Church condemns “sola scriptura” that does not imply you can be “ignorant scriptura”.

Start reading your bible and studying the Catholic faith. Get the Adult Catechism produced by the American Bishops (USCCB) and start studying.

“A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful who use Sacred Scripture for spiritual reading with the veneration due the word of God. A plenary indulgence is granted if the reading continued for at least one half hour.”

(Enchiridion Indulgentiarum, 1968 edition, no. 50)
Attempt to gain one every day. When you know your bible you’ll find that it supports Catholic teaching.

Here’s my long run advice: go ahead and read that bible. It is profitable to read a little bit of it every day. It is a good way to pray and to know Jesus better. The Church encourages us to read it. If just reading it straight is sort of intimidating, you can read a paragraph from the Catechism that interests you and then open the bible and read bible quotes and their context that are quoted or referenced in that paragraph. If you know the bible verses (and their context) that they give in the CCC, you know a huge amount of scripture. Anyway, with going to mass and listening to the liturgy of the word, you know more scripture than you are likely giving yourself credit for.

If you are interacting with a “bible Christian”, they might be thinking in terms of verses like these:

1 Peter 3:15 but in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you;

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

So, they oftentimes respect someone who is ready to give a defense, showing themselves to be equipped (by knowing Holy Scripture). I’d tell you to look these two verses up in the CCC, to see how they are used, but I only know where the second one is used. It is mentioned obliquely in CCC 105. They use it in reference to God as the author of Scripture. I’m using it to explain something different, here.

edit (by obliquely I mean that they give a footnote to it in order to support or expand upon a position. it isn’t in the main text).

:amen: As one of our parish priest’s used to say “Catholics have no excuse for bible ignorance”. So open your bible. Also try the biblechristiansociety.com - he has alot of good apologetics for Catholics in answer to Protestant challenges.

Begin reading the Bible, every day.

www.usccb.org has an online Bible and CCC.

You can check here to find a good Bible Study near you cssprogram.net/?page=findclass

Ignorance of the Scripture is ignorance of Christ.

In the first place, the Church does have answers to each and every objection, so you just need to learn what they are.

Secondly, learn to turn the tables. Ask him if every interpretation he has of scripture is right. Ask him if he’s ever changed his mind on any passage, and if he was wrong then, could he not be wrong now? Ask him why other “bible-only” Christians don’t all believe exactly what he believes, and in that case, who is wrong? Ask him why he even believes the bible is scripture, since he rejects the Church which declared it so.

I could go on and on. It depends on what his particular argument of the day/hour/minute is. You need to force him to stick to one single subject at a time - tell him that is non-negotiable. Then you will be able (with our help) to demonstrate that he is wrong on that subject, or at least argue him to a standstill.

You could also ask him if he is an anti-Catholic bigot, since he spends so much time attacking the Catholic Church. He’ll deny it, of course, and he may very well not be an anti-Catholic bigot, but he’ll probably be less inflammatory after you’ve asked the question.

But do not read the bible as if it were a manual of doctrine. The bible can help us confirm doctrine but it is not the source of our doctrine. Read the bible in conjunction with the catechism.

Besides the “read your Bible” advice, here’s one more suggestion-

Go to www.biblechristiansociety.com There are tons of free, downloadable mp3s on apologetics. The speaker, John Martignoni, has covered most of the “normal bases” you’ll probably run into with your uncle.

You have been given some really good advice e.g. start reading the bible and study up on your Catholic Faith. The Catholic Answers website www.catholic.com is a great place to go for answers to your uncle’s questions as is the book *Catholicism and Fundamentalism *by Karl Keating.

The most important thing you can do is pray for your uncle and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in your evengelisation.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.