When not receiving Communion, do...?

What should I do when not receiving Communion? For one reason or another, sometimes when I attend Mass, I do not receive Communion. Assuming that I am there without my family or others who are receiving, what should I do?

I see some people leave before the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, and I know that in St. Augustine’s time, they had those not receiving (ex: the Catechumens) leave before this part of the Mass.

I would be very grateful if someone could answer this question, and tell me where I can find the guidelines for this?

Make a spiritual communion in the pew.

Google or PM me for a spiritual communion prayer.

I went to Mass for years before I was received into the Church, so I was not receiving communion. However, due to the help of some Catholic friends, I learned to pray for a spiritual communion. I do not see any benefit to leaving early. I think that even if you do not receive communion, being present in the Mass is a VERY good time and place to pray.

I don’t think it matters whether you are there with your family. You are always there with the other people who are attending Mass with you.

What did you do when you were too young to receive communion?

Wow, thanks very much! Its been quite a burning question for me.

If only my post-Vatican II Catholic school taught me this… or maybe I just didn’t catch it. :shrug:

Pray the rosary and admire the stained glass windows. Which is what I have been doing, in addition to reading the missal.

You raise very good points, and I couldn’t agree more. This settles an important question for me, in that awkward moment when I see other people leaving the Mass who are not receiving that day.

If you do not stay for the Eucharist, then you have no validly attended the Mass at all. Therefore, you would not have met your obligation.

I agree, you if you are Catholic, you must stay until Jesus in back in the tabernacle after the Liturgy of the Eucharist. It is best if you stay for the whole Mass.

You can say a spiritual communion. Better yet, get to confession so that you can recieve Jesus. I realize there are many reasons you maybe can not recieve. In some churches the priest will let you come up and recieve a blessing.

This website of the Mass explained by Catalina may help you appreciate what is going on in the mass. michaeljournal.org/holymass.htm

May the Lord richly bless you!

The Catechumens in the ancient times (and the RCIA candidates) left before the Offertory or even before the Creed.

In my time (in Hungary even until the eighties) only a part of the faithful walked to receive communion (there was no line up neither) the rest simply stayed in the pew.

Don’t leave.

Go up and receive a prayer from the priest if he encourages it…

I sent ya a PM. :slight_smile:

You pray the Act of Spiritual Communion. Prayed with the right disposition, I can be almost as powerful as receiving Communion.

An Act of Spiritual Communion

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.

I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.

Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

I was wondering this very thing last night at the Christmas vigil mass - I felt awkward at being one of the only people still in the pew. I just kept telling myself that I was doing the right thing, but I still wasn’t sure. Now at least I know I DID do the right thing.

As an RCIA candidate, I will sometimes go up in line during communion and cross my arms before the priest to receive a blessing. I’ve done this at many parishes around the country and every priest has known what to do. When I return to my seat I say a prayer asking for spiritual communion.

Hope this helps.

Matt

As an RCIA candidate, I will sometimes go up in line during communion and cross my arms before the priest to receive a blessing. I’ve done this at many parishes around the country and every priest has known what to do. When I return to my seat I say a prayer asking for spiritual communion.

Hope this helps.

Matt

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.