When Others Don't Approve of My Choice?

I haven’t even been to Mass yet, let alone officially converted. So I don’t consider myself a Catholic yet, obviously. However, when I ordered my New American Bible, (So that I could at least begin reading a Catholic Bible) I got into a bit of an argument with my Parents. Everyone in my family has been Protestant, so it’s unheard of, me making the decision to convert to Catholicism. How do you guys recommend dealing with stuff like this? I usually just “turn the other cheek” so to say. But it’s hard when my family is so disapproving of my choices.

Thank you for any help you can provide, God Bless.

I’m assuming that you are still a minor. Maybe when you become an adult, then you can formally become Catholic. I think I have read somewhere here on the forums that departmental permission is necessary or something like that, when the potential convert is a minor. I could be wrong, though.

Already you are suffering for Christ! It’s hard, I say this prayer when I realize I am being given a cross to bear: All for Thee dear Jesus, Who has suffered so much for me.

Matt 10:37: He that loveth father or mother more than me, is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me.

I’d ask you: how YOU choose to walk with the Lord, as a part of YOUR story, isn’t that ultimately between YOU and God? :hmmm:
Is your [or your family’s] desire to understand the faith of the Apostles or merely to follow insert-pastor-name-here] blindly? :shrug:

My advice is to continue what you are doing: ask A TON of questions! Don’t just listen to the content, but pay attention to the tone of the answer. You know when someone is talking out of love or indoctrination. “St Francis” reply to you is an example of heartfelt love and concern. (Nice try “Graceful_Lamb” LOL!! Tomorrow is promised to no one, eh? :tsktsk::hey_bud: )

You are doing what most people really should do with their “faith”: learn it to practice it intentionally. :thankyou:God created us intentionally, I know we must seek Him in the same manner. Perhaps you can be the beacon of love and kindness as you grow in your Catholic faith. I’ll be :gopray2:'ing for ya, bro! :blessyou: - CRJ

“There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church — which is, of course, quite a different thing.”~Archbishop Fulton Sheen

I joined the church last Easter, and neither of my parents agreed. I’m not a minor, but it is still hard, even as an adult, to do something you know your parents disagree with.

If your parents are open to listening to you, try having a frank discussion with them. Explain that you are curious, you want to explore Catholicism, and that you want the opportunity to find your own way. If they aren’t open (mine weren’t), then my suggestion is to make it clear that you love and respect them, but on this issue, you will have to agree to disagree - and then do your own thing.

When you start attending Mass, you will probably find a loving and supportive faith community that will help you learn the faith and provide support when your parents are be too discouraging.

Feel free to message me any time if you just want to chat with someone who’s been through this!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.